1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The pack that you can't live without

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by CitizenSnips, Mar 7, 2019.

1. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Anyone else have one of these? It doesn't have to be your 100% match made in heaven only pack you'll ever need..

Mine seems to be the 'teryx Khard. What follows is a love struck ramble, please add your own. TLDR: I've had three and now bought a 'teryx Assault pack...

I bought a 45ltr Khard in 2014 just to fiddle and move it on and was immediately impressed by almost ever aspect of the pack. It was far too big for my EDC needs, far too big for my weekend get-away needs (even with the camera kit), and a tad too small for my hiking needs. Even so I kept it until I found a Khard 30ltr for sale, which in UK civi-street is a pretty rare gem and took a good 15 months of hunting to find.

Again I was dumbfounded by how amazing the pack itself was. It was still a hair too big for EDC but my weekend away kit was bang on the money. On top of that the side handles and the clamshell design really pushed it leagues ahead of my other packs in terms of pack and portability and made packing and unpack a breeze. I lugged that bad boy about for two years on every holiday and business trip I had and it was bliss.

Forward on another year and I fall on tough times. Things just weren't going my way for a bit and I ended up in a teeny tiny house share room and, after taking a frank look at the situation, sharing my bed with my kit just wasn't working out for me. Weekends away and hobbies that required heavy ("if it's heavy then it's expensive, put it back!") kit had to take a back seat to adulting properly for a while and the Khard eventually - after surviving several culls - got sold to some guy on the web who got a freaking steal. That guy got a deal and no mistake.

A touch later and I'm alright again, new job, new cash, new plans for holidays and travel, and I need my trusty pack back - the NF Recon is an alright substitute but it's not my Khard. Cue a last minute purchase of my second Khard 30ltr and some holiday frolicking.

Not long after I came back from that first holiday decided I didn't like the crocodile colour. The previous two had both been wolf grey and it was a good match for the minimal design as well as my wardrobe choices, but the yellow-green brown of the croc just jarred me. It was an unthinkable affront to the legacy of its forebears and within hours of making this decision I was convinced it had to go. So it went on that bidding site and not long after was posted to a new owner who seemed to agree with me about how good the Khard was because he has since sent three follow up messages about how he loves the Khard.

Since then I haven't been able to source another grey Khard, but I recently saw the updated design Assault pack for sale in black. I held out a week. I am super excited to get my new holiday buddy and put some wear on that sucker, I bet it'll look amazing with some scuffs and grit on it.

Anyone else had a story about their love affair with a pack?

THX2008 and Jjb5730 like this.
  2. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

What aspects make that pack the one?
    Great thread idea.

CitizenSnips likes this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well every one that I buy is That One at the time.

FiaOlleDog, aicolainen, Hook and 5 others like this.
  4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

That's the thing, it's not the one! It's too big for half of what I do and too small for most of the rest. but it's just right for stuffing with kit for the beach or going away for 2 nights, I just keep coming back to it.

But....

Other packs bug me by being too tech centric with compartments and padding every which way which just serve to take up internal space - the Khard allows me to pad out my tech with my spare clothes and have more space, and adapt with pods for what I want to segregate and where.

Other packs have messy external pockets which are too small for what I'd want to stuff in or so loose they compromise the design - and all of them make them look too busy and outdoorsy to bridge the gap between functional active pack and business luggage.

Other packs lose their shape as soon as I put anything heavy in them or leave them nearly empty but the Khard is designed to maintain a sleek silhouette either way.

Other packs have overly padded backs that never seem to add that much comfort and are never as ventilated as suggested, or if they have the air panel design they make packing the inside a chore and add stressed parts and wear points that I just don't trust to survive. The khard's contoured panel maintains comfort and doesn't worry about ventilation because it's not what you need when using that style of pack (or at least not what I need) and any attempt to add it would compromise the pack in other ways.

Other packs have either silly amounts of padding or just some thick cordura on the bottom and call it good. I'm left wondering if I'm going to wear through and waterlog the padding, or just outright damage something with the lack of padding. The khard is so solid whilst still being padded that I don't worry.

The over all material is reassuringly water and abrasion resistant whilst still being soft to the touch...

It just tickled my pickle the two times a month I used it when I owned it and I don't seem to be able to not have one.

5. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Jeez I own more packs than I would ever admit to and switch them out depending on the season or task at hand fairly regularly, but the one I always come back to is my X-Ray. It’s the closest to perfect for me.

Mike

JHGM and CitizenSnips like this.
  6. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Mine would be the GR1.
    Easy to use and love how it opens like a suitcase.

My main purpose for the bag is to carry my work knives which are very long and the knives fit perfectly.

Benbrooks, Miles717 and CitizenSnips like this.
  7. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

R24 it always manages to pop back in rotation and when it does its always awesome
    I'm toying with just adapting and modding it over getting a new pack.
    swapped out the sternum strap clip for fidlock its really improved comfort

Katjang1, anjin and CitizenSnips like this.
  8. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Guess it's the Tom Bihn Synapse 19 for me...

I'll switch out to others while traveling, but for normal EDC it's just about perfect.

Rainmaker from Greenroom 136 is the next one on my radar.

RichardA76 and CitizenSnips like this.
  9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Right now, the Alpha One Niner Evade 2.0 is feeling like The One for me. Previously it was a Goruck GR1.

furbis and CitizenSnips like this.
  10. RichardA76

RichardA76 Empty Pockets

I am looking at grabbing a S19 as well. Have been carrying my Rush 12 for a long time, feel I could use more organization.

JHGM and CitizenSnips like this.
  11. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

I would say GoRuck GR1. I can fit my work EDC in there and then turn around and fill it for a 3 day trip to Vegas no problem. I wish it had an admin panel similar to the 511 Rush 12. This mag carriers in the rush 12 admin section are perfect for glasses cases when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

For me there seem to be an ongoing tension between breaking out artefacts within the organisation of the bag; and keeping it stored up in pouches within the bag so it can be easily swapped.This means on the one hand lots of organisation is essential, on the other it is almost redundant. (In either case I find myself needing duplicates of many items) Notwithstanidng the above, I return to my Black 5.11 Rush12 more often than anything else. My job means I occasionally have to carry a 15" laptop, so if don't go prepared I have to carry two bags from the office on my travels. Away from work I'm in a land of sunshine and sand, so its a waterproof 20l Overboard roll top vinyl bag comes to the beach and water. For urban stuff its a Vertx Satchel. It's big enough for ipad and water bottle; with front or rear body carry. It's also tacticool enough...

I seem to be accumulating bags, but it's a containable (sic) vice.

tbzbbt

13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I'm one of those guys that doesn't like to rotate EDC gear. I buy/try a bunch of stuff looking for the perfect-one-for-me and stick with it. Lots of my favorite stuff eventually gets discontinued, so after my user wears out, I need to restart the process, and usually less successfully. So I've started purchasing a back-up of my favorite must-haves, and multiples if on clearance sales. I have 2 NIB back-ups of my bag.

twin63, CitizenSnips and chaosmagnet like this.
  14. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

^This

Every time I buy a pack (which, at the moment is roughly once a month...) I convince myself that it will be the last word in backpacks, and that I'll never need to buy another one ever again....How deluded am I?!

My 'wants' from a backpack change constantly - Sometimes I'll be in the mood for a totally MOLLE-decked , modular behemoth, then it'll shift to a minimalist carry like a Recycled Firefighter or GoRuck...... At the moment, the 2nd gen Litespeed has lasted more than a couple of months which, I think, is probably a record for me.

15. JC807

JC807 Loaded Pockets

Litespeed V2 in black

16. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Until I got sucked into the world of EDC around 3 years ago, I was all about hunting and outdoors.
    The brands I new and trusted were all typical outdoor brands, so thats what I bought for all aspects of life.
    My last couple of backpacks that I bougt for the typical work / travel / everyday applications before I got into EDC were Berghaus, Osprey, Norrøna and Arc´Teryx. These are the ones I recall, there were probably others as well.
    The EDC community opened my eyes to other brands and other properties of a bag that could be useful in various settings. Several backpacks peaked my interest, but because of my location, availability was an issue for most of them. At one point I was able to pick up a used Goruck GR1 from @Journo on this forum, which was one of the bags I was considering to replace my Arc´Teryx Blade. And replace it, it did. I have more or less stopped looking for alternatives after I got it. It carries very well, has just the right amount of organization, feels very solid and a minimalist design that’s very much in line with my design preferences.
    If I put some effort into it,I could probably find something thats even better, but the GR1 is so much good enough that I’m not motivated to invest the time and money required. In that regard it might be “the one” bag, but I´m not emotionally attached to it. If it´s lost or damaged, I might move on.
    And like many others, I suffer from bag addiction (although currently recovering), so there is no shortage on alternatives when I need to adapt to different applications and situations, but the GR1 is the unchallanged EDC bag at the moment.

17. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Beyond a shadow of a doubt. Mountainsmith Day Lumbar Pack. Had mine for probably 15 years or so and it's done everything from diaper bag, disc golf bag, hunting bag, day hike bag, FAK, bug-out bag, etc... It's traveled the world, been used, abused and always bounces back with a quick rinse off. The Strapetts make it even more versatile.

The side pockets for water bottles or whatever are deep and strong. Interior organization is lacking, but a Maxped pocket organizer takes care of that issue.

Many packs have come and gone in my lifetime, but this gem has been a constant.
    [​IMG]
    (Not my image, but exactly what I have)

twin63 and karlito like this.
  18. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Sadly despite having 20+ packs my cheap LA Police Gear Bail Out Bag gets the most use; it just goes from home into my work vehicle and back five days a week.

I will agree with Wishoot, my Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack has been great. It holds more than you would think and a few mods made it a little more useful.
    [​IMG]

I added some molle / pals webbing, Velcro field, side webbing onto which a mag pouch is attached (perfect for my glasses case), paracord zipper pulls, and a fun ray gun!

#18 karlito, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    twin63 and Wishoot like this.
  19. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I've been through quite a lot of work and EDC packs, but for the last few years it's been the Osprey Quasar 28. It meets my needs so well that, now Osprey have changed the design in ways I don't like, I've bought one of the last of the line to have on the shelf for when my existing one finally wears it out!

twin63 likes this.
  20. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets