1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Operator Challenge and other "Mini Games"

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by CountryCuz2011, Jun 21, 2016.

1. CountryCuz2011

CountryCuz2011 Empty Pockets

I first came across the concept of "mini games" when listening to an Art of Manliness podcast episode with Alastair Humphrey. He talked about how individuals could live more fulfilling lives by seeking mini adventures in their spare time. The idea of maximizing my spare time or moments of unproductivity has led me to conduct further research on the matter. So far, I came across other helpful resources that kind of expands on the idea, such as Mikaly Csikszentmihalyi's book Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, and I believe there are a couple of posts on this forum that addressed the idea.

Essentially, I look at mini games as an opportunity to refine existing skills or to occupy my spare time with interesting games. Your spare time can include any moment of unscheduled time, such as when you're waiting in line at the cash register or even when you're driving. The hope is that by filling your spare time with a mini game or two, you can repurpose that time instead of just diddling on your smartphone (though there are some cool apps to play as well).

Comment below if you have your own ideas. Make sure you put the name of the mini game in bold and explain the rules.

To start this thread, I like to share a personal favorite I play while I'm at work as a cashier. The name of the Operator Challenge comes from the tactical world. As a cashier, I notice certain numerical trends as I ring up people throughout the day. If I notice a "tactically oriented" number as I ring up someone, at the next opportunity or slow moment I must drop and do ten push-ups. These numbers can include anything from the gun world or tactical world (ex. $3.08=308; $5.56=5.56; $3.80=380 ACP; $5.11=5.11 Tactical Gear; $19.11=the 1911 pistol; and so on). In the average day, I might do 40 or 50 push-ups, which helps with my personal fitness.

UmbertoTortallini likes this.
  2. CountryCuz2011

CountryCuz2011 Empty Pockets

@admins...I had an issue posting the first time so pardon the multiple posts. Delete at your discretion since I can't figure out how to do so from my end.

3. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

All good now!

CountryCuz2011 likes this.
  4. revilo951

revilo951 Empty Pockets

Read a good book on body language, (I recommend "What every BODY is saying" by Joe Navarro), and use spare time in public places brushing up on real world body language reading. It is very surprising, how much you can tell about people with a casual glance (with practice). Not sure what I'd call the game though!

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I'll have to get that book. My husband has schizophrenia and a major if little known symptom is the inability to read body language. We often sit in malls watching people to help him learn the skill. Funniest part is that because he can't read people, he can't conceptualize what it's like to be able to do it well. If I come in and ask him what's bothering him, he's not going to assume I'm reading his facial expression and instead thinks I'm reading his mind. It's fairly easy to make him paranoid. They call it paranoid schizophrenia for a reason. Otherwise, they could call it fuzzy bunny schizophrenia.

Sent by owl post.

ChadHahn likes this.