1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Official Hazard 4 Sherman Thread

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TARFU, Oct 17, 2012.

1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

The Sherman is in route. They sent it in Coyote. I usually prefer black, but it's good to mix it up every now and then. ;)

wretched_youth and Black Helmet like this.
  2. Jules

Jules Loaded Pockets

Even better, I was thinking of getting a Coyote one - I eagerly await your review & pics. Many thanks in advance for your time, effort & informed opinion. It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it

TARFU likes this.
  3. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Got the Sherman. Many thanks to Civilian Labs for providing one for review.

[​IMG]

A few immediate observations for those who are interested in this bag - call it the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

First, quality is very Hazard 4-like which is to say very good. There are a few loose threads here and there, but overall it's what we've come to expect from this company. Lots of organization with this pack. Plenty of pockets, molle, hook and loop, etc. That's the good.

The strap is very thick but it did not come with a pad. Sorry, but I don't understand that on a pack at this price point. Their smaller messengers had a pad included at a lower price point. And yes, I know some messengers don't have them but I'd prefer one for comfort - especially if I load this up. That's the bad.

The ugly? Civilian Labs put in the specs that the quilted laptop compartment fits most laptops up to 14.5". Great. I went to put my Lenovo T420 laptop in the compartment and it won't fit. The T420 has a 14" screen and it's dimensions are: 13.4" x 9.17" x 1.18–1.20"; 340.5 x 233.0mm x 30.1–30.5mm. So, Houston we have a problem.

For me that's OK because I'll be switching to a 13" Macbook Air in a couple of weeks and I'll use it to test the bag. BUT, the MBA is more Netbook than Laptop so I have to call out Hazard 4 on this one. The quilted compartment is very nice but if it only fits the smallest of laptops and mostly Netbooks then I think you should be more transparent on that. Perhaps some with disagree with me on that one.

Anyway, this review will come after the first of the year and I guess now after my company gets me my Macbook Air. Stay tuned.

Gryffin, BrianEDC and Jules like this.
  4. Jules

Jules Loaded Pockets

Nice photo dude. Looks like a very nice pack, and the mis-representation of the size actually wouldn't effect me. The strap does put me off massively though. That will cost around £15 ($25) on top of the pack which retails here for £135 ($220). Poor form from H4.

5. BrianEDC

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

The should strap pad seems such a miss, esp. as noted how it's on the smaller ones. I lurv my Kato's shoulder pad.

Is the Hazard 4 logo on the right stitched on (vs. loop)?

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

It's stitched on.

I went ahead and ordered a matching shoulder pad. You're right - their shoulder pads are great. I was tempted to order another in black to replace the shoulder pad on my Maxpedition Jumbo EDC.

7. squatch

squatch Loaded Pockets

It's interesting to hear about what laptop fits in that compartment. Can you do a quick measurement of the external dimensions of the bag please?

Sent from mobile device. Pardon the brevity.

8. BrianEDC

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

Weird. I wonder if it's some less tactical / prosumer brand recognition thing. It sticks out to me; I thought all their Haz4 stuff had them as patches. Ah well, small thing - it's not like everyone else doesn't brand em.

I hope they opt to edit their product description and include the pad with it. It's easily fixable, but a bit more material than the logo. Both it and the logo seem like minor loose thread equivalents in design, though - like someone forgot to check a box on final run through.

9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

What you really want is a measurement on the internal dimensions of the sleeve which by my tape measure is 14.75" W x 11.25" L X .75" D. The quilted padding is about .5" thick on either side.

Now, to be clear, I can get my laptop in there by force-ably wedging it into the compartment and vice-versa to get it out. I just did it but it took me a good minute of working it back and forth to accomplish the feat. However, to do that day in and day out isn't my idea of fun and that would get old REAL quick. To me, a laptop has to slide in and out of a sleeve to be a true fit. And that isn't the case here.

After taking the measurements, I think the issue isn't the width or length of the pocket but rather the .75" depth and the thickness of the padding. So, if your laptop is thinner (not much more than .75" deep) then you should be OK. Coincidently - the MBA is one of the thinnest around at .68". The Lenovo Ideapad U310 is .70". But again, those are both Ultrabooks, not full fledged Laptops.

10. squatch

squatch Loaded Pockets

Thanks, but I am actually looking for external dimensions to be able to compare it to my Zulu Emissary. :)

11. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I think I am going to pick up one of Hazard's bags in the future. I like the designs they have and are moving towards.

TARFU likes this.
  12. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Sorry, read your post incorrectly. The external dimensions are on the Hazard 4 website, but I'll provide them here also - 16.9" L x 12.8" W x 3.9" D (43 x 32.5 x 10 cm).

13. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that does seem an odd omission. At least they offer one as an accessory, but even though it's on the small side for a messenger bag, I imagine it would be very easy to load it up.

Speaking of weight, any idea what the empty weight of the bag is?

And speaking of the strap again, how's the length? I saw one review elsewhere that complained the strap wasn't long enough for cross-shoulder carry, which happens to be how I roll.

Nope, I agree, they should be more upfront about that. I think there's still a place for the Sherman, since laptops seem to be trending smaller/thinner/lighter anyhow. I too use a 13" MacBook Air, and have been looking to downsize from the Maxpud Operator, so I'm pretty jazzed about the Sherman.

14. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

By my scale, roughly about 4 lbs empty with the shoulder pad, but don't quote me on that. I need a digital scale built for the purpose. I will reach out to Haz4 to get the official weigh in. Either way, the exterior is constructed with 1000D Condura so don't expect it to be svelte.

The strap is a little short for me for cross body carry but remember I'm tall at 6'4". Nearly full extended, I can get it down to just below my belt line for single shoulder carry. Obviously, cross body it would ride higher than that and for some people that may be too short. Your mileage may vary. I will definitely take pics wearing the bag when I do the review so everyone can judge that for themselves.

Regarding the Sherman's place, I totally agree. Most "tactical" messengers and especially the horizontal ones are HUGE. And others like the Zulu/ITS Discreet Messenger inflict sticker shock at $350 retail. So there is definitely a niche for this bag.

15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

They are innovating while others are postulating. It took Civilian Labs almost a year to release the product they announced at last year's Shot Show and they've still released more new product this year than Maxpedition and 5.11 combined.

Last edited by TARFU, Dec 28, 2012
  16. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Woof. I'm hoping your weighing technique is off, that seems awful heavy. For comparison, my Kodiak and Operator both weighed in at 48 oz., or three pounds on the nose; my Malaga is a lightweight at 32 oz.

I don't have a digital scale big enough, either, but I use a 20 lb. fish scale which seems to be accurate +/– a coupla ounces.

Yeaaaaah, I don't have that problem. ;) I like my bag to ride high anyway, in the small of my back. I think the Sherman will work for me.

Thanks for the reply, can't wait to see the review!! :D

hannes_414 likes this.
  17. Andylaser

Andylaser Loaded Pockets

I am also tempted by this bag, but also echo the sentiments regarding the lack of shoulder pad. I don't like the accessory version. The thick Velcro "wraps" are messy andget in the way. I have a similar pad on a MaxP bag and the Velcro wraps constantly catch on my crash helmet when I ride the bike.

18. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

My review of the Hazard 4 Sherman has been posted to the Gear Review section.

Gryffin and Vesp like this.
  19. redman43

redman43 Empty Pockets

Just got mine the other day in black (plus shoulder pad in black as well) to use as a laptop bag for work. Fits my HP Ultrabook like a glove. Initial impressions are its a very good, very well built bag and just the right size for my needs. Right now I've just got a minimalist setup with everything needed for remote working on my laptop (pens, notepads, power cord, thumb drive,etc), and I just confirmed that it will also fit a 3 inch binder with all my work documents and still zip up the main compartment.

TARFU likes this.
  20. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Just picked up one of these from an EDCF member. Nearly new. Tags still on it when it arrived. I also purchased one of the Hazard 4 shoulder pads. Today is my first day carrying it. I was able to load my typical carry into it without a problem. Of course, things are a little different than my previous bag, but that's what happens when you switch.

- Sturdy construction
    - Lots of admin
    - Built-in padding for laptop pocket (MS Surface fits with lots of extra room)
    - Zippers are smooth as silk
    - Comfortable, rubberized grab handle

Dislikes:
    - Small, tight admin pockets
    - Buckle locks sometimes accidentally lock

Here are a few pics to add to the "library":

Front View
    [​IMG]

Front View, Top Flap Open
    [​IMG]

Front View, Top Flap and Front Flap (Admin Area) Open
    [​IMG]

Close-up of Admin Pockets
    [​IMG]

Top View with Shoulder Pad
    [​IMG]

Top View, Center Section Open (No Divider)
    [​IMG]

Side Pocket with Maxpedition Cocoon
    [​IMG]

Front Flap Buckle with Lock
    [​IMG]

Rubberized Grab Handle - Top Side
    [​IMG]

Rubberized Grab Handle - Underside
    [​IMG]

Strap Release Buckle with Lock
    [​IMG]

Myrddraal, Mester and TARFU like this.