1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Official Atwood collectors thread, Part 1

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by powernoodle, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

Well we know 2 of the 15 chigger+grinds went to EDCF members. I really hope this is conspiracy to get EDCF members more Atwood tools ;)

2. mattrix

mattrix Empty Pockets

[img width=640 height=480]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6E1ZRM7pYi0/SvBTeOYcAUI/AAAAAAAAllE/RXZOKJ_D6fs/s800/DSCF5412.JPG[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6E1ZRM7pYi0/SvBTeshyk1I/AAAAAAAAllQ/dDj5cPjecWk/s800/DSCF5420.JPG[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6E1ZRM7pYi0/SvBTfsoaTHI/AAAAAAAAllc/4xt_HB15Tdw/s800/DSCF5421.JPG[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_6E1ZRM7pYi0/SvBTg72eE1I/AAAAAAAAllo/sNm-F9QVl38/s800/DSCF5422.JPG[/img]

3. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

Now that's purdy O0

4. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Yes, very nice. :)

Heath

5. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Im not a fan of the ___baby layout, but the perf version sure looks nice.

6. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

I have a perfie on the way, super super lite?

7. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

My perfbaby came yesterday in the mail. It is a sweet looking unit. I have been trying to think of the many ways it could be used...other than opening wobbly pops. I am thinking of putting a clip on it and use it as a money clip. Or I could bolt on a couple of keys and it could be a key carrier. Hmmmm :shrug:

Ryan...

These things weigh 17 grams with the lanyard.... about 15 grams without it. A regular sized fine point sharpie weighs in at 9.6 grams. They are purdy light!

8. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

The V-notch is very useful for removing tags from clothing or stray strings on clothing. The screwdriver(s) can be used in a pinch if you are in a place that didn't allow in your primary multitool (you carry two right?) ;)

I am not sure how much the Ti would handle prying, I am very nervous that it will just break in half....has anyone heavily used a perfbaby yet?

9. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

But...that would include me taking it out of the bag?

I feel the same way about prying. Maybe it's all in my head. I honestly prefer steel because it's "beefier", but when I had a chance to snag a Rainbow Pefie I had to grab it. It's currently my only ti Atwood, and I have 7 or 8 steel ones.

10. Jaybee64

Jaybee64 Loaded Pockets

This is my mod of my original perfbaby.....still haven't found the best way of fixing the blade to the baby but it works

1st draft.....
    [img width=640 height=426]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/506223656_be0e01ac9b_o.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=426]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/225/506253715_f89d746fd7_o.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=280]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/506253435_7684ee2afe_o.jpg[/img]

2nd go - couple of the holes filled with glo-powder & epoxy + Ti and damascus nuts and glo-cord
    [img width=640 height=480]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2718/4075994202_6b9e78a456_o.jpg[/img]

Current version - kept the nuts - changed to para-cord - added a makume bead & Lummi Wee
    [img width=640 height=480]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2547/4075995744_b6cdba2586_b.jpg[/img]

JB

11. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Jaybee64 that is pretty cool. Would you try dropping in a rare earth magnet into one of the holes to help secure the blade...apply some epoxy to keep the magnet in place. Or maybe a spring loaded pin that acts as a gate/stopper. Push the spring in and slide out the blade.....We got the wheels turning. Any other ideas?

Should this be taken to a new thread?

12. 1wrx7

1wrx7 Loaded Pockets

:woohoo: I just scored a DotShot. Since I don't think I'm working this weekend I'll try to get a couple of shots... pun intended... of the DotShot and my green Perfbaby. That is if the PO is doing what they should. Peter is the fastest shipper in the east, so I know if I don't get it by Sat. it's the PO's fault :lolhammer: Thanks for posting a second run of the DotShot's... I missed the last one.

BTW.... am I just getting lucky, or has Peter been working his :censored: off and making a lot more tools available the past month or so :shrug: Either way... Thanks Peter!!! I'll have a bottle of Cabo waiting for the DotShot ;D

13. twistedtrees

twistedtrees Empty Pockets

So are most of you buying them direct from Peter as he releases them? Are a lot of these from before they got harder to get? Or is anybody buying from secondary retailers? That seems to be my best option for getting one, but the markups are 50-100%, ouch.

14. nbmaine2007

The majority of people here I think get them direct from Peter. And once you have 15 or 20 posts (can't remember which) you'll be able to view/get into the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here, and there are quite a few Atwoods traded/sold there. I've gotten the majority of mine from Peter, although I've traded for and bought some on the BST forum also.

15. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Always amazes me when i consider how much equity Peter is leaving on the table charging way below market value for his tools. Id bet good money if he doubles the price on whatever he sells next he will sell all the items and almost as quickly as he currently does. But then he clearly does it for the artistry than the money.

Anyway, ive only got three Atwoods but i got them all through postings on here and the Britishblades forum. Its pretty rare you get scalped too hard on forums - i can only think of one time off hand (though im sure there are others) where someone was charging way above what they got the item for. That said the price can often be higher than what they would be if you bought direct but not by a huge amount in my experience.

Ebay on the other hand the prices can be wild with a few guys seemingly doing it for a living buying up the items off the forums and flipping them for a profit on the bay.

Plus you have the piece of mind that unlike buying a car, if you pay X for it you will almost certainly be able to get X back when/if you decide to sell them. You would probably make more as time goes on as i dont see the value depreciating over time, so even if you pay 50% more than Peter sold them for your could still turn around and sell it on for that same price.

16. mirek

mirek Loaded Pockets

Now, you can buy various Atwoods for less and/or more reasonable prices at Moore Cutlery.

17. twistedtrees

twistedtrees Empty Pockets

Thanks for the info. A secret thread, I should have assumed one since I was surprised at the lack of a "buy/sell/trade" thread.

But I agree with the above poster, I see Peter as being in it for the art. He could easily charge more and could get it, but he doesn't. That's just one more reason to like him and what he does.

18. nbmaine2007

And the secondary market I think comes and goes. Some of his older pieces of work obviously go for well over what he sold them for years ago, but that's just supply and demand. People get hooked on the newer tools and then want the older one. Just because an original Spiderman comicbook is worth $25,000 (no idea, just a number for the purposes of this discussion) doesn't mean that you can sell all new Spiderman comics for that amount.

There have been several Atwoods on the BST forum here that have gone for at, under or slightly over "retail" value. ebay is obvioulsy a different animal. You have lots of people who don't know about forums like this, get caught up in the auction excitement, and pay crazy prices sometimes. But even on ebay, newer tools don't go for a huge mark up.

So could Peter charge $5, $10 or $20 more per tool? Of course. Would he still sell out? I'd bet yes. But repeat customers, which I think are a decent marketshare for him (myself included) would probably be less likely to purchase as often if they were $20 more per tool. And like twistedtrees said, a good part of the allure of Atwoods is you get a great product, a guy who stands behind it, and he's not looking to scrape every penny out of you for it. That's a beautiful thing in today's business world.

It's like buying Red Sox tickets. Sucks because some scalpers definitely get the good ones, but once in a while you can get lucky and score some or hope to find some at a nominal mark-up.

19. 3voices

3voices Loaded Pockets

anyone else get a stamped pybaby? let's see em...

[​IMG]

20. rasi

rasi Loaded Pockets

After some lurking it's time for my first post.
    [​IMG]

The circle is not yet closed...but at least finally worth posting here, i hope.
    All tools were purchased directly, the Keyton being the first in 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.