1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Off-Duty Paramedic FAK

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by towheadedmule, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Organdonor

Organdonor Empty Pockets

It's amazing the discrepancy in salaries depending in the area. Even here in the small state of CT, the bottom pay is about $19/hour, and the better pay is around $25/hour, depending on who you work for.

2. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

+1,000,000. Don't even get me started... :(
    While there are certainly cases in which I think that is absolutely true, I don't think it's true 100% of the time. I carry anything I need in my immediate reach on my belt or in pockets, and leave everything else in the bag or the rig. The reason I might have around 5 or 6 pens or 2 lights/knives is because people are always "borrowing" my gear. Hopefully, when I work my way up the ranks, I'll get a partner that carries everything under the sun so I can lighten my work EDC a little.

3. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

Amen, Brother. :)

4. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

When I was a just a 'tern (paramedic intern) riding the ambulance we were following fire into a scene... These high school girls were waving at the fire engine so we waved back too... the girls waved at fire and flipped us off.

5. ccpmedic

ccpmedic Loaded Pockets

As a 19 year EMS veteran, my off duty FAK is stocked based on this thought: Better to have and not need , than to need and not have.

Also, my on duty carry consists of: Gloves, 2 pair; Scissors; Pen; Sharpie; S-Benner; Spyderco D4; Critical Care Field Guide; Note pad; Surefire 6PLED; Streamlight Stylus Green LED; calculator

6. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

Well equipped, I like your style! :)

7. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

As an ex-EMT, I carry a pair of nitrile gloves folded up in a bandanna in my back pocket. Period. (And that's for all kinds of nasties besides EMS.)

8. AmbuBadger

AmbuBadger Loaded Pockets

The whole thing about more gear = less experience is only true to a certain extent...

...but most importantly of all, you forgot that these are the EDC FORUMS! Regardless of experience, 99.999% of the people here are going to be carrying what everyone deems to be "a little too much"! Funny thing is, those that give me flak for carrying something will give me flak when I don't have it on me and they need to use it!

9. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

IMHO the "more gear=less experience" is only a half truth. The more experienced a medic, the less dependent he is on a lot of gear. This is true in many fields. I've got an old friend who is a wilderness survival expert. He requires very little to live, quite comfortably, in the wild places of the world for weeks...while backpackers spend one night in the woods and drag a pack that weighs more than a VW. This doesn't mean he needs nothing, but he's learned through experience what's important and what's not.

I don't need a cardiac monitor to determine if someone his having an MI (Heart Attack for the layman). I've seen enough to know what one looks like, and I trust my basic diagnostic skills to tell me most of what i need to know. The monitor just confirms it and tells me a little bit more about location and severity. This is just an example, but i try to find that Zen, the one that equals being tuned in to the situation and utilizing my most important piece of equipment...my brain.

10. Rescue_Ops

Rescue_Ops Loaded Pockets

Just an EMT, but here's my opinion...

I'm a 6 year veteran volunteer EMT-IV Tech here in TN. (We don't do NREMT- you're either an IV tech or a medic.) I carry a couple of kits in my car- basically because I have never found a single bag that organized things the way I wanted to do it all.

Gloves, face shield, trauma pads/blood stoppers, assorted band-aids, duct tape, gauze/4x4's, 1000ml NS, 10 gtt set, 18-24ga caths, oral airways...basically a smaller version of the "first-in" kit carried on the ambulance. Don't forget shears, Leatherman Wave with safety hook cutter, and 2 small flashlights.

I'm familiar with the Good Samaritan law too, but if I stop at a wreck or something and don't do what I am trained to do, then I have broken the law. It's called "Scope of Care" and it applies whether you're on duty or off.

I also work full time in a factory. They fired all the nurses, then "forced" some of us to "volunteer" to serve on a medical response team. They had a first aid bag they kept locked up in a cabinet, including O2 and an AED. One day, I got a call for a possible heart attack. So I grabbed the bag and made my way to the patient. I quickly determined he was having a stroke and difficulty breathing. I opened the airway and readied a BVM from the bag. I hooked it up, turned on the regulator to fill the bag, and found the regulator only went to 7 lpm. Yeah. I was P*ssed! Not to mention I got talked BAD to by some of my co-workers from the EMS when they saw I was only able to give him 7 liters of O2. The factory tried to file a complaint against me for not doing my job to my trained skill level with equipment they had provided for me because the HR manager (who has NO medical training) had purchased the wrong thing because it was cheaper than the one that went to 15 lpm. Go figure. Needless to say, my EMS director had a little talk with him and got things resolved nicely. (Did I mention that the factory is allowing us to practice first aid without any medical oversight???)

Anyways...you guys enjoy your $25 an hour for being a medic! I make $9.50 an hour as an EMT-IV to save someone's life. But I make $25 an hour as a mechanic in the factory. Tell me what's right about that!

11. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Empty Pockets

as a 30+ year emt-d and having retired from the fire service in May, I carry little or nothing, refrain from stopping at accidents and generally step in if there is no other choice.

why?

liability. that's it in a nutshell. I trust very few people these days, especially during and after an emergency not to find some fault with the care given.

I understand the theory of duty to act, working in the scope of training, but why take chances?

12. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

I will take care of my friends and my family.......thats about it. The only other person I would consider helping is a child. Anyway, my EDC FAK is only set up to take care of minor wounds, not serious trauma.

FWIW, I am a firefighter/paramedic, and a former combat medic.

13. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

I learned a new word today.

14. lexmedic157

lexmedic157 Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a desk medic to me :)

15. Rescue_Ops

Rescue_Ops Loaded Pockets

All I've got to say about the liability part is- when you're the one laying there on the side of the road dying from your injuries and nobody stops, you just remember how many people in need that you drove by yourself and didn't stop to help! Yeah, I'm scared of being sued too, but I'm a lot more scared of what will be said when I die and get asked, "So, why didn't you stop to help those people???"

16. jeroen94704

jeroen94704 Empty Pockets

Seriously, don't you all think that the whole litigious/liability culture in the US has gone over the edge when even trained professionals are reluctant to help people in need for fear of getting sued?

17. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Yup, but when juries pay out huge settlements for people spilling hot coffee on their laps "because they didn't know it was so hot" or when someone cuts their hand up on a table saw using it in a manner which they shouldn't AFTER they removed the safety guards, does it surprise you that people are more reluctant to get involved?

18. jeroen94704

jeroen94704 Empty Pockets

Not at all! I'm not blaming the people who are reluctant to help at all. Rather, I think it's a failure of the system.

Jeroen

19. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

We don't have Good Samiritan Laws but we have the little known common law offence of neglect. If you can help someone who unreasonably you don't and as a result they die then you commit an offence. This covers all sorts of things but it's not been used for a good long while.

20. Travis

Travis Loaded Pockets

Got my paramedic cert in 1999 so about 11 years as a medic now with additional time as an EMT. Currently carry very little in my vehicle and no identifying stickers due to the liability issues.