1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The non knife nut pocket knife.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jackknife, May 14, 2020.

1. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Most of us on this forum are knife nuts. Pure and simple we go ga-ga over the shiny sharp things, and on this particular sub forum, shiny sharp things with some tools on them. For most of my life I was a knife nut. I speak in the former sense as I've come to realize that I am no longer a knife nut.

For many years I've felt the fading of the passion for the sharp shiny things, even with tools on them. Maybe its a natural progression of age, or some psychological thing I'm not smart enough to fathom. But my love of knives just for the sake of collecting and accumulating and fondling faded out. I no longer felt the urge to carry multiples of knives to deal with any situation that came along, no matter if real or fantasy. I've always been a practical minded person, and thats one reason my default was always a SAK. Starting out life with a Boy Scout knife, had a deep and long lasting impression on me to have a few tools on hand. Its surprising how many situations can actually be solved with a screw driver. And its actually equally surprising how many things can be cut with just an inch or two of blade.

I had to get old before the total sense of it came to me. I remember once watching my dad deal with some cutting job with his little Case peanut, and asking him if it wouldn't just be easier to carry a bigger knife. I'll always remember his philosophical answer. "Well son, my pocket knife is a mostly thing. It will cut what I mostly have to cut, and thats good enough, because its impossible to prepare for everything life can throw at you. So you carry what does the job for the 98% of what you have to do, and improvise the other couple percent."

As I went through middle age, I found myself carrying less and less stuff, realizing that it was slightly silly to try to carry everything to deal with fantastic scenarios. The one time it really was a life or death situation, getting lady out of a burning upside down old Datsun B210 that she had rolled with stupidly reckless driving, an inch and a half of pocket knife blade did very well in cutting the seat belt she was hanging upside down in. A larger knife would not have been any better, and maybe a dangerous hindrance the way she was thrashing around in a panic. That sheep foot blade of a Buck stockman was all that was needed. It cut right through the nylon webbing of the seatbelt.

And as a result of these lives experiences, I came to realize what dad had known long before me, that less sometimes is more. That knowledge means you really can carry less because you've 'been there, done that' and you now know what isn't needed.

All of this has recently made me realize that I have become a non knife person. The kind of person who doesn't really obsess over knives like I once did as a knife nut, but like millions of SAK buyers, do realize that a sharp little knife with a few basic tools is a good thing to have on hand. Over the years I downsized from 93mm SAK's to 91mm, then 84mm's, and then in an epiphany brought on by watching my wife torture a little classic, did the classic experiment of my own. I used a classic as my EDC pocket knife and the Zombie apocalypse didn't happen, nor did the sun rise in the west, or the earth shake and destroy life as we know it. Once in a while the classic was not enough, and always this was food duty. No, the classic couldn't handle a loaf of Italian bread, or slice an apple in half to share with the better half, or slice the better half's burger in half like she has a quirk of liking. But, since Karen carried an Opinel number 8 in her purse, it is a moot problem.

They say more Victorinox classics are made and sold each year than any other three knife manufactures combined. The humble classic was once the cover of one of the knife magazines as the most confiscated knife in the world. As of the late 1990's, Victorinox was making 9 million of them a year. I'm sure with the push Victoriox did in the early 2000's employing more high speed computer controlled machining and ramping up production, its even more now. Who buys all these little SAK's? The non knife nut people who know a small sharp knife is a good thing to have on you. The kind go people that walk right by the display case of shiny new knives in the store because they just are not interested, but will stop at a SAK display because 'everybody' knows what a SAK is.

It came as a little bit of a shock, that I am now in that class. The non knife person SAK carrier. I now walk right by the knife display at the sports store where I used to slow down if not stop and look at the shiny new knives. I now give a glance as I pass, realizing that there is nothing there that I am at all interested in, because I have a small SAK in my pocket that does all I need of a pocket knife. The Buck's, the Kershaw's, the Case's, the whatever's, just don't have any draw for me anymore. I'm a SAK carrier and it has to be a smaller one at that. To me now, an 84mm is a bigger SAK, like my recruit, cadet. My executive is my regular carry if the sun rises in the east knife.

I think now I understand my friend Howard more, and my dad. They had 'been there, done that' and they figured out what wasn't needed.

dmattaponi, Moose, Tesla and 10 others like this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think I could almost live with my Alox Cadet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I agree I guess. I own a bunch of knives, but my prefered knife is a simple Mora companion. And a vic climber that I carry for the scissors. I can appreciate nice knives, but I'm done spending a lot of money on them.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Moose, Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  4. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Non knife nuts aren't going to use their own knife over knives provided to them, so there's no need for a knife that can slice and apple or cut a burger: they'll use the knife they're given.

I would argue that the "non knife nut pocket knife" is a folding box cutter. Non knife nuts aren't going to learn to sharpen their blades, so something with a replaceable blade is more practical and appropriate for them.

So, I'd say you're still a knife nut: you just know what you need your knife to do and see little need in anything more.

5. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I’ve been a lover of nice knives literally as long as I can remember. One of my earliest memories was being shown a humble knife collection and wanting a nice collection of my own. Don’t think I’ll ever not love nice knives. Doesn’t mean I don’t know what I don’t need, but I’d rather use a Large Sebenza to cut a burger in half than a Victorinox Classic. :p

6. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I think I understand where you're at. Trimming down to only what's necessary and leaving the fluff behind. I too, would carry a SAK if I could only have a single knife, but I'm still at the point where I enjoy different knives for different (and not strictly practical) reasons. I'm sure I have a few more blades than the average Joe, but I wouldn't call myself a knife nut compared to most people on this forum. And I don't mean that last part in a bad way, either, just an observation.

Moose, Lateck and Moshe ben David like this.
  7. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was really happy when i could afford getting me a Leatherman Tread bracelet, even if i wouldn’t use it i carry it, just becoz i like it, it’s my ”jewelry” and it doesn’t have a knife on it, it’s also TSA approved but i seldom fly.... but here in Sweden it’s illegal to carry knives and sometimes even multitools, which almost all of them have a blade..

8. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

It's illegal in Sweden? Wow. Didn't know that. I thought you guys were pretty relaxed on that topic...

9. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I think some of us are just wired a kittle bit differently. When I get into something, I want to explore all the possibilities, but sooner or later I find out what works for me and I tend to stick with it. This has been true with:
    • Pocket Knives. I must have two dozen pocket knives. I end up carrying a Dragonfly 2 ZDP 189 or a SAK Cadet 90% of the time. The rest sit on a shelf in the closet.
    • Kitchen Knives. I am currently in the middle of my Japanese Knife discovery. I have had a couple of Shun's and a chisel grind Vietnamese knockoff of a Japanese knife for almost 10 years. Two years ago I added a Mac chef knife and now I am jonesing for a bunka or nakiri knife. I have two full racks of French and German knives dating back 40 years from first purchase, but I use the Shun Santuko, the Mac, a paring knife or a serrated knife for 90% of the kitchen tasks I perform
    • Fountain pens. I have a dozen and use only the Pelikan on a regular basis
    • Guns. More than I will admit to owning on the internet :) but I only carry the Sig 365XL on a regular basis with the other pistols, rifles and shotguns seeing much more safe time than shooting time. (a regular meme on shooting forums is 'Beware of the man who owns only one gun, he probably knows how to use it.")
    • Shaving stuff: I am old enough to have first shaved with a double edged safety razor. When I got back into wet shaving almost 20 years ago I ended up with scads of razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, etc. I found a set up that works for me and have not changed (except for a seasonal shift in soaps) for almost 10 years. I rarely visit a shaving forum anymore becuase I have nothing interesting to say to people who use a different set up every day.
    Some people have an itch for the next greatest thing that needs to be scratched regularly. Others like me and the OP seem to get to the point that we figure out what works for us and then - barring a really new innovation - (like red dots on pistols for me) stay put.

Moose, Wishoot and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Hi, I’m not Swedish, but a close neighbor to your west, so not an expert on Swedish law but still slightly above averagely interested in this topic, and from my own findings you are not entirely correct.

The police (Polisen) writes on their web page (information in Swedish will follow):

Exempel på undantag från förbudet:
    • Normalt bruk av fickkniv eller multiverktyg

For more information go to:
    https://polisen.se/lagar-och-regler/vapen-regler-och-tillstand/knivar-och-andra-farliga-foremal/

11. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

We have a knifelaw, doesn’t matter what size or what locking it is, still a blade that can be used as a weapon. Silly law imo, the criminals has knives but seldom get caught for that reason, but an ordinary working person can’t have one....

12. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yes, but if you’re ”caught” in the city with a knife on you, you’re about to face trial....

But it’s also very cumbersome for the police, they can oversee some and some not, if you know what i mean, it’s a shady law...

13. aicolainen

@MangeD700 it’s very much the same in Norway, the law is deliberately written in a vague language, so it leaves a lot open for interpretation, but that doesn’t mean the police is right when they choose to prosecute you. Unfortunately, even when the court find the defendant not guilty, there is a lot of damage and hassle for the defendant and usually no consequence for the police, so they just carry on.
    That said, the chances of being “caught” by the police for carrying a knife unless you’re committing- or are the suspect of having committed a(nother) crime is slim to non, and usually requires utter stupidity from the knife owner.
    It’s still a risk involved, but I’ll take it. Until proven otherwise by a court I consider the practice of charging law abiding citizens for carrying and using reasonable knives in reasonable ways as “tjenestemannasaktivisme” and / or misuse of police authority. Hopefully I won’t have the chance to find out :D

A.B., Moshe ben David and MangeD700 like this.
  14. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

WOW, I didn't know all that!!!!

So, you're saying that in Sweden or Norway you can't even carry a little SAK classic?????

I find that totally incredible. What do you have to do if you have to cut a piece of twine or fishing line or open a box???

A.B. likes this.
  15. aicolainen

That's not exactly what I'm saying. But it was late, I was tired and probably could have been clearer if I was more awake.

I only know how this works in Norway, but Sweden is probably not much different.
    The law, unfortunately is written in very general terms, with vague language, and I assume this is to give the police the leverage to intervene (law in hand) if the need arise, not the worst idea in the history of modern society, at least when you assume good intentions are at play. As we all know, the road to hell is paved with good intention and this vague language gives the police way too much opportunity to abuse the law and enforce it beyond its original intent. Some deliberately, but I think often times also because they actually don't fully understand the law themselves.

The law basically say that you are not allowed to carry a knife in public unless you are doing so for an "aktverdig" reason. The word "aktverdig" is not used in everyday speak, but is of older origin and would probably be "translated" to something like a "good cause".
    Some examples are given, like; craftsmen at work, outdoor activities and traditional knives carried together with corresponding traditional clothing (i.e. jewellery for special occasions and ceremonies). These are pretty obvious exceptions, it would be much better if they put some effort into clearing up up the greyer areas. So just by the simple fact they're using such alienating language and put very little effort into specifying exceptions, there is clearly no intention to avoid misunderstandings. In my simple mind, a good cause would be anything that's not evil, i.e. threatening, hurtful or damaging to others. But that's clearly not how the police interprets it. And this becomes a bigger problem with time and increasing urbanisation. For the cops of yesteryears, a pocket knife or reasonable fixed blade was as obvious a sidekick for a proper gentleman as a cellphone is today, but this state of mind is clearly changing and the vague wording intended as a tool to prosecute criminals, is now a tool to create criminals of the few proper, self sustained and practically minded sheepdogs we have left, just to artificially inflate their statistics without making the streets any safer.

The picture I'm painting here probably looks very dark and dystopian, but in reality it's more an unnecessary annoyance of unpredictability than a real problem. Most police officers are normal, understanding people, and the further from the big city centres you find yourself, the more laidback the police is. In most rural towns you can open carry for no obvious "aktverdig" reason and still not be of any interest to the police (like the law probably was intended).
    And if you are unlucky or clumsy enough to ever be charged for carrying a knife in public (I don't know anybody that has), I believe the statistics are pretty good if you were otherwise behaving properly with no obvious bad intentions and a reasonable knife for whatever "aktverdig" reason you are claiming.
    There are lesser known legal papers describing the process that went into making the law, these gives a little more insight into the laws intent. Here it is actually stated that a normal pocket knife is not the target of this law. These papers and previous rulings in similar cases usually form the legal foundation for the courts, and while not providing much information on whats to be considered normal, it's obviously not the case that all knives should be illegal to carry without any specific reason.

Sorry for the long winding reply, but this is a topic that I feel strongly about, and can really get me started :)
    In a proper democracy (like Norway and Norwegians like to consider themselves) the laws should be written for the people, as guidelines on how to interact, as to create a fair, predictable and effective playing ground to live our lives, carry out our business and be productive for our selves and our country. Not to create uncertainty and act as a tool for the police to apprehend criminals they would otherwise lack evidence or reasonable cause to intervene with. Leaving a trail of innocent "criminals" in their wake..

#15 aicolainen, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  16. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

It's sort of the same here. But then again, it's not. Don't walk into a pub with a bowie knife strapped to your belt. But if you have reasonable cause to carry a fixed blade for work purposes it's no problem. Folders are almost everywhere tolerated here. There is no law against fixed blades either. It is up to the police to decide.

17. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I can closely relate to every single point you make. I've got more knives and guns than I care to admit. But I find myself carrying a little S&W 637-2 90% of the time.

I have enough shaving gear to groom an army. If I find a DE razor anywhere at a good price, I buy it. Probably have over 100 now. My prize possession is a mint Gillette Toggle that I found for $5.

BklynBoy and Tony Sal like this.
  18. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I hear you. A couple of years ago I went on a shave forum I had not visited in years because Proraso discontinued my favorite after shave balm and I was looking for a recommendation for a substitute. I looked at the razor forum and was blown away by all the new 'craft' makers of razors and all the other choices. I have 5 Merkurs and and few others but the razor I use every day is a 1960's Gillette Fat Boy and Israelli 'red' Persona . I used to use a Merkur slant and Feather blades and then realized that I did not need to scrape away half of my facial dermis every day to get a close shave.

Wishoot and Tony Sal like this.
  19. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Funny, this is probably my favorite combination. I must admit that I'm extra cautious with this combo however. A little too much pressure and bad things can happen.

I refuse to use the Toggle because it's just too pretty.

Also a big fan of Proraso Sensitive ASB but use it primarily in the winter when my skin is dry.

BklynBoy and Tony Sal like this.
  20. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

What a man. What a beard :)

Wishoot and Tony Sal like this.