1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The New Preon!

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by EZDog, Jan 10, 2019.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The New Preon showed up Today and seems like it might just deserve its own thread too!

I think this is the first of the new lights from Prometheus since 4Sevens went out of business and Jason took over the 4Sevens lights and names?

It is really nicely made,has a great clip and switch bith of which seem a lot better to me than the 1st gen Preon and the 2nd gen Olight Preon too.

The light has a 219c emitter and a programmable interface which will evidently be the new interface for all of the new lights still wearing the old name which on the box is FOURSEVENS.

They also come with a NiMh battery installed and programmed to group 1 programming which is high/turbo which is supposed to be 60/100 lumens.

Welcome back Preon!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 EZDog, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Looks like a solid flashlight and a step forward from its predecessors.

Would love to carry one but it's definitively to tall for key-chain carry, so my ThruNite Ti3 or Lumintop Worm 4.0 remains. Despite its size I had no luck with tail-cap switches in pant pockets ...

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Nah..no tailstand, no sale.

smokingfish and Kripto like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't imagine ever wanting to tail stand something with such low battery capacity myself but the momentary switch is just what I really need!
    I also always have a ZL with me which all tail stand just fine.

The switch is also much better for pocket carry than the original was and seems a lot better than the gen2 too though I never tried with the gen2 either.
    This one is both stiff and cleanly recessed,neither of which I would say about the original.

Good thing we have so many choices.

Kev2488 likes this.
  5. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Well, I did - and the Ti3 in the mid mode provides 6+ hours runtime, also it's only 12 lumens or so it was sufficient to lighten up a room of 15 square meters for a few hours.

Tail click for anything tactical for sure - different uses, different flashlights.

Absolutely!

6. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

I had no idea 4sevens went out of business. A first gen preon 2aa was the first high output LED light I bought.

Kev2488 likes this.
  7. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

They're still in business, just a new owner. Unfortunately the original owner fell victim to Surefire's lawyers due to patent infringement.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Hadn't heard that that was the reason. But IF he was indeed guilty of patent infringement, how was he the victim of either Surefire or their lawyers? If the tables were turned he wouldn't agree that Surefire was the victim of HIS patent lawyers...!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

taat2d and Wishoot like this.
  9. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

If a 10 year old provoked the heavyweight champion of the world, no matter what that 10 year old did, he'd still be a victim.

Don't get me wrong though, they were Surefire's patents and 4Sevens had no right to use them. Other companies were also in Surefire's crosshairs, but since they were China based, there wasn't much Surefire could do with them directly. 4Sevens was US based, so they were fair game. It's hard to find the details of the case(s), but I believe Surefire targeted some of the retailers of the Chinese lights.

As far as the patent, there may have been more than 1, for sure 1 was the tightening and loosening of the head to chanfe modes, found on the original Quark Tactical line as well some of Fenix's lights. Surefire hadn't used it at all at the time, but the Tactician uses it now.

Another I'm kind of unsure about is Surefire's lockout tailcap patent, but I'm not sure if that one applies to all lights that lock out when you loosen the tailcap or if it's just those momentary/twist/lockout switches, which 4Seven's Maelstrom series used.

10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I have a love/hate relationship with my Preon because the clicky switch has a mind of its own. I wish I had gotten a non-clicky tail while 4Sevens was still in business.

ATB,
    Sam

11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I agree with @Moshe ben David Patent laws are there for a reason. Painting 4Sevens as a 10 year old victim doesn't wash in the business arena. If the 10 year old steals the champs belt, it doesn't make him the champ, either...just a juvenile thief.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

I really think you both are misinterpreting the expression fall victim to — be hurt, killed, damaged, or destroyed by. Nothing in there alludes to wrongfulness or innocence.

13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

It's a misuse of the term victim. The "victim" would be the person whose intellectual property was stolen...in the scenario outlined, the "victim" would be Surefire due to theft of their intellectual property. I know a lot of people have sympathy for the "little guy" (4 Sevens, in this case), but it does not excuse patent infringement, if that was the case. I have no axe to grind with either & don't own a light from either brand

14. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

Again, read my last post. That is the definition of the phrase. NOTHING in that definition alludes to innocence, does it? No. At the end of the suit was Surefire "hurt, killed, damaged, or destroyed" in a business sense? No. Was 4Sevens, more specifically the owner? Very much so. Yes, that's what you get for stealing patents from a juggernaut like Surefire.

15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

You seriously think Surefire wasn't "damaged" in a business sense by theft of intellectual property and resulting loss of revenue? Your last sentence should read "..that's what you get for stealing"...Whom you steal from is irrelevant. I think this horse has lost all flesh.

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hey for the record I only started this thread because the Preon has returned!

I don't really care how or why this much.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  17. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

Yeah...let's get this back on topic. I'm really loving the fact that the Nichia 219C is the default LED. No more pushing and waiting for limited sprint runs for a quality LED.

18. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Looks really nice! I have bought quite a few AAA lights I like recently so I don't know if I want to get anymore right now but I may grab a couple eventually. I like the protruding switch and the clip looks solid. The only thing I really don't like is the partial memory,I would rather it just defaulted to low,although I don't see it as a deal killer. It is good 4Sevens designs coming back to the market!

19. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

The clip is nice, but to be honest, between the smooth body and clip, it doesn't inspire much confidence when clipped to thin materials like my 5.11 Taclite pants.

The memory is what Jason calls a hybrid memory, while it remembers the last used level, the next mode cycled will be level 1. So if you have the light set LMH, and turn off in med, when you turn it back on and cycle to the next mode, it'll go to low instead of high. That in and of itself may be a deal killer.

20. recklesstryg

recklesstryg Loaded Pockets

I just got the Preon 2 MkIII which is the 2 AAA version. I thought I wouldn't like the rubber tail cap but it works great. I don't like the Prometheus clip so I used an old Stream light stylus clip I had.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]