1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The New Forum.

Discussion in 'MEMBER RULES, GUIDELINES & ANNOUNCEMENTS' started by JonSidneyB, Apr 1, 2012.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Hmmm, is the forum moving a little bit better. It is not there yet but I think we are moving a bit faster now.

2. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Are signature's turned off for now? In FAQ's it says signature setting is in the user name drop down menu. I've looked everywhere I can think of but can't find the signature setting.

3. Enzo01

Enzo01 Loaded Pockets

So everyone in lockstep?
    I'm on this forum 1/2 dozen or more times a day , religiously, for well over a year and if you don't like a contrary opinion then tuff!

4. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Well, no, not everyone is in lockstep. Contrary opinions are always appreciated. My statement was intended to be taken as a joke. Sorry you didn't see it that way.

The reasons for moving from one forum to another were to make this place better. I'm sorry that you don't like the new format, and would love to see some suggestions as to how you think it could improve! If there are things we can do, we certainly will do them.

In the mean time, just saying that you don't like something doesn't really help, does it? Saying why you don't like something and what would make it better does help and not only you, but I'm sure lots of others out there feel the same way you do!

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Those are going to be added back after we get things stable.

6. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Thanks Jon, still gettig used to the new forum. Thanks for all the hard work from you and the staff.

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can somebody fill me in on "loaded pockets"?

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

We had the 15 post rule on BST on vBulletin. Loaded pockets is just a name added to it. below 15 posts is empty pockets, 15 and above is loaded pockets.

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oh yeah, I think I remember reading about that a long time ago. (Maybe when I had less than 15 posts, duh.)
    Thanks.

10. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

I must have missed the memo on the migration *lol*
    Day 1 - "meh..."
    Day 2 - "again?" a few minutes later "wth?!"... a few more, "oh fart... :censored:!?!"

Yes, you wouldn't miss a good thing until it's gone...

Carry on, gents/ladies, we know things will settle down soon and good job on getting the new site going again. ;)

11. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me too. I also missed this memo and well, was a bit disappointed and now definitely surprised about the cool layout. While I'm getting used to the new functions, I've only one complain. In "watched threats" (former Subscription) the unread post sign doesn't work properly. It shows me posts as unread I've already read. But above all, good job, keep on going!

12. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Uuups, actually I was showed a message that the server doesn't response, so I hit the Post-button again. Either it's the slowness of the new forum and get fixed soon or the fault of my Internet connection.

13. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

Good morning from Steeler Nation! I am pleased to say that I have not been kicked out yet today nor have I received the dreaded "white screen of death". Also, going from page to page has been a lot quicker. Keep up the good work! Rome wasn't built in a day and I am sure it would have taken even longer if there was "computer code" involved. Once again, the new forum is looking great!

14. Riggs

Riggs Loaded Pockets

Its good to be back.

15. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Today I am seeing intermittent (but many) slow page loads and also server timeouts when posting responses - particularly when including image links in the post.

I know it's not my computer nor my 'net connection, those are perfectly fine elsewhere.

Just FYI...

16. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Wow, I just figured out that I have 15 trophy points. Can somebody tell me what's the matter with them?

17. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

You're right. It's not your PC or connection. Some problems persist and our resident IT guys (to include Jon) are working their tails off trying to resolve. Xenforo (software company) is on the case too.

If you're not aware, when you're creating a new thread or posting a reply, and get a server timeout, rather than clicking Create Thread or Reply to Thread button again (which will cause double-post), try browser's Reload or Refresh. I've had success avoiding double-posts doing that.

Trophy points are awarded based on post count (and depending on what Jon decides, might be awarded for number of "Likes" received). As the new system "recognizes" parts of members' records -- in this case your post count -- you might see some changes, like the trophy points. Once the system is fully functional, clicking Help in the navigation bar at page-top will display a Trophy link, which will give the full breakdown.

Someone asked about where to find link to update signature (can't find the post now ... grrrr). See drop-down in the image below. To display drop-down, once you're logged-in, hover mouse pointer over your member name in navigation bar (page top-right). BUT the change-signature function might not be functioning right now. Hard for me to tell because mods and admins currently have some access not available to everyone.

Signature.jpg

18. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

I suspected that was the case, just wanted you to be aware of what I was observing today.

But no worries, I'm a patient guy. I know what can happen during change overs like this, and how frustrating and time consuming resolving them can be

Yup, already got it figured. But thanks for the heads up. I am sure many people have had that issue (at least judging by the number of double, and triple, posts I've seen today).

Maybe a sticky note, or an alert about it might reduce that? just a thought...

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I don't know, man. I tried to refresh when the "server timed out", but my post didn't show up as having gone through. I had copied, it just in case, and so I pasted it and reposted, only to see it twice. I think I'll refresh a couple of times next time...until it gets sorted out. Still, its better thatn having the forum shut down until all the kinks are worked out.

Rattlesnake likes this.
  20. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

One thing I have tried that works, if I am unsure if it actually posted or not is to go to a different thread and then come back.

So far everytime I have done that the original post is there