1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Mystery Ranch Leap

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by shadowolf713, Feb 9, 2015.

1. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

That size refers to the size of the yoke and belt. The height of the yoke is adjustable, but only in a certain range so they offer multiple sizing options. You can find more info on what you would need here: http://www.mysteryranch.com/fitting-and-sizing

2. LaVillaStrangiato11

LaVillaStrangiato11 Loaded Pockets

Awesome. Thanks! I guess I didn't scroll down far enough on the MR sizing page. Doh!

toemke likes this.
  3. Tenfooterpipi

Tenfooterpipi Loaded Pockets

Well, in other news, it seems that they have refreshed their lineup with new items, and guess what?

Someone must have listened to my prayers, the belt pockets are back. I probably get the RFAK as well...while it still made here on the good ole' USA.

4. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Did you guys check out to the new lineup? I really like the idea of the new stretch-woven pockets they now have on handful of packs. And the new Front pack looks like they added water bottle pockets to a 1DAP.

Sand likes this.
  5. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

I'm not a big fan of the way MR is going.
    All MIL packs are now only MC or Coyote.
    The smaller Mountain packs still have almost no internal organization.
    I am always willing to pay more for American made bags but now nearly everything is being foreign made and is still just as expensive.

All I want is a new style foliage Komodo Dragon or 3dap in foliage without BVS

According to MR they have a lot of packs and want them all to have different feautres.
    What they need to do is combine a lot of those features and make those packs in different sizes to accommodate.
    I don't think anyone wouldn't buy a pack because it had internal organization that they don't have to use. People will definitely not buy a certain pack because it doesnt have any damage pockets at all. Everything ends up piling on the bottom.

While they're at it, why can't MR post better pictures of their packs? I want to see the inside and it would be nice to see a picture of someone wearing one.

Bwana1 likes this.
  6. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I've said before that I'm a little leery of the direction MR is going as well, but there are a few rays of hope....one is the new military contracts. They have been tied up in the SPEAR contracts for the last decade and they just won even more contracts again, and have 3 new packs to offer for that contract that will also be available to civilians. All of this plus the contracts that they have fulfilled with foreign military pretty much still makes MR THE most legit tactical, military pack company in existence. They are pretty undisputed in military presence at this point and after 10 years in the game, that's a huge testament to their quality, durability, and "provenness", which all go hand in hand. I don't like the new packs being made overseas either, mostly because I like USA made gear and I really like some of their new releases and will most likely not purchase any of them because of this. However, from their prospective, and I don't know the whole story, I'm sure the military contracts are a huge manufacturing responsibility for them and a commitment that they will absolutely have to keep up, so their manufacturing power state-side is probably a little more cramped. I'm keeping a close eye on them, and I'm still purchasing their US made stuff, but I'm willing to bet they will never go the route that Dana Designs did, by totally outsourcing and selling. I guess only time can tell.

7. TacticoolMike

TacticoolMike Loaded Pockets

I believe the new style 3dap will be released soon without the BVS and it will be released in Foliage. Same for the ASAP (due in February). The Stick It will be made again and will be available in March.

Having said that, I ordered a Kifaru Urban Zippy yesterday. 2 reasons:

1). I had one before and like a dumbass I sold it. It was probably the best EDC style pack I've tried (I've tried a :censored: ton of packs from all the big makers) for my needs.

2). Mystery Ranch is dead to me.

#madeintheusa4lyfe

Ken Watson and Jaysop like this.
  8. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

I spoke to a rep today and they said due to current "MIL regulations" service members can no longer carry bags that are not either tan or multicam so they won't be offering anything in the Military line in anything other than those colors anymore.
    That must be a very new thing. There has been uniform regulations forever.

9. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

Speaking just from the Army side, the current regs call for either matching the pattern of the worn uniform (multicam), or black.

JP

Sand and Jaysop like this.
  10. TacticoolMike

Mystery Ranch needs to get their act together then. I've had 2 customer service reps confirm the new version 3dap non BVS and ASAP will be in foliage. I can see the rest of the MIL line not being available in any other colors than coyote/Multicam but the ASAP and 3dap are bought buy a lot of civilians. Guess we should have an answer by end of February, hah.

11. LaVillaStrangiato11

LaVillaStrangiato11 Loaded Pockets

I had contacted them about the ASAP as well and the rep said it will be in foliage in early February. Then I saw the post about the regulations and how certain packs will only be available in multi-cam and coyote. So I emailed them again so they can refute or verify the claim.
    TacticoolMike - If you confirmed it with 2 reps as well, I believe you. lol :)

12. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

When I was active duty USMC I don't remember anyone giving me :censored: about what color my day pack was as long as it was a quality MIL style bag. I used a foliage X-ray and a coyote Camelback motherload.
    Hopefully the rep was wronge. I'd love a foliage 3dap again.

13. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

Matching or black is the new regulation, as of sometime last year. So everyone should be looking at black bags because one otherwise has to match potentially a couple different uniform colors, and throw in a couple color changes in the works anyway. If you are trying to meet military travel regulations, just get black.

14. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

Agreed, and it differs depending on situation too - schoolhouses will be more strict, farther from the flag, less strict. I can tell you the mix being used on the ground in the cradle of civilization right now is about 60% multicam, 30% coyote(ish), 8% black, and 2% other - primarily foliage or gray. Most of the black bags are seen on staff types on bigger bases.

15. shadowolf713

shadowolf713 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, so my .02:

Mystery Ranch is seemingly trying to expand their influence. I am curious to see where the majority of production goes.
    These recent changes seem like a testament that they are freeing up their US factory for more military production. That is my assessment.

We may end up seeing a consumer shift to another brand that creates more urbanite friendly EDC here in the states. I know Triple Aught Design, kifaru, and a few others.

Time will tell.

On another note:
    Who mentioned the Stick-it coming back in March? Is that from MR?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

16. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Freeing up the US factory for military or Barry Compliance customers is how they basically explained it on their website.

Sand and shadowolf713 like this.
  17. shadowolf713

So here is the SATL that I procured from a generous gentleman who had it at a price of 290 or so. It's been stuffed with pillows to demonstrate its capacity when pushed all the way out.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As some of you may know I have a Mystery Ranch ASAP that I take with me to the field as an assault pack when I'm going to be anchored to a field problem for a while. The question I had was how to attach the smaller pack to the SATL.
    I decided to give 5.11's tier system a shot. I'm still in the decision stages of figuring out if I want to pack to sit a little higher.

Currently here is what it looks like: [​IMG]

Here is the ASAP sitting up higher on the pack. [​IMG]
    Still not the best, but I just may not find a clean solution.
    I'm going to play around with it a little more. Maybe one of these configurations will fit better.

And eventually I'll add two of these sustainment pouches from Dunamis Gear to each side. [​IMG]

Should bring my total capacity to around 74 liters. Which is plenty. More to follow as I get to go out and put it to use.

#97 shadowolf713, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    billybatson likes this.
  18. shadowolf713

Alright, so I was able to put the pack through some serious abuse this weekend in a Canyon around here. I had a three day camping excursion with some buds. The SATL and I were the mules. We carried everyone's items on the trail.
    I was easily able to fit all of my gear and still had room to pack in more!
    During our second day of hiking we spotted a few hogs and of course them being on a Ridge across from us was a perfect time to pick them off with my 308. Well, my buddy pulled the 308 out of the pack and didn't quite fix my pack back up when we went to retrieve and quarter the hog. So here's what it looked like then:
    It seriously performed like a champ. However, I did find that I have lost a few inches on the waist and am now a medium belt vs. A large. The buckles were cinched down so tight that they were literally on the fabric. So I swift email to MR revealed they could sell me a new waistbelt if my pack was made within 5 years. Bingo! I'm in luck. 2013 pack. So now I'll order that and should have a better time getting it situated.
    Next month will be some Army training in the Hill country of Texas. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

billybatson and toemke like this.
  19. shadowolf713

I was also able to use my Helle Viking for carving that bad boy up. The viking is sharp and a really good camp knife.

20. TacticoolMike

The SATL looks pretty cool.

Last edited by TacticoolMike, May 2, 2017
    #100 TacticoolMike, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    shadowolf713 likes this.