1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Morality of Gun Ownership

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Stranger, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I'm actually working on my masters thesis in moral theology. There is no morality to a tool or object, only in how the human uses it. I live in Canada now, but I'm an Okie. I live in a vibrant downtown area that also has homelessness and drug issues. Night before last I confronted a young man breaking into the mailboxes in our condo lobby with a large knife or small machete. I was armed with a basset hound and metal crutches. Do I wish I'd had one of my former firearms? Yes. I called the police instead, and they didn't have a car available because there had been so many break in calls that morning. It was 4:30am. At least the thugs in our neighbourhood are too poor to afford guns. They mostly stab each other.

Sent by owl post.

2. scottT
    • In Omnia Paratus

scottT Loaded Pockets

I'm wondering what type of morality was being subscribed to when the Mexican drug cartels where being supplied with these weapons?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

3. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

None.

Ironically, it's the pro-gun side that cares about this issue.

The second amendment is a protection against future democratic actions, for purpose of preserving a free society.

The thing is...opposing a tyrannical government would be illegal.

It's a statement that some things are more important than the rule of law, such as making sure that rule of law is just. No insurrection has ever been or will ever be legal.

The core of it comes from 1780s English, when "regulated" implied more about training and proficiency than rules; when the militia was made up of all able-bodied men, ready at a moment's notice to defend their State.

So, no, there's not a direct protection for hunting or sport shooting...but they're good ways to train with firearms.

The purpose is the preservation of a free society. It's easy to see how defense against tyranny and defense against criminality fall under that idea. The details have been defined by the states.

It's a defense against tyranny. It's a defense against the need for martial law and against martial law itself.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

4. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

i was going to say something similar to this but i believe you said it better.

just to expand on the topic though lets look at it this way, blunt objects are often used as murder weapons, yet you would never need to question your morality when purchasing a baseball bat or hammer. people tend to assign human qualities to objects but, a fire arm is just an inanimate object incapable of harming someone without being picked up and used

FACE, surefire7, ManVsLawn and 2 others like this.
  5. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sure wish this forum had rules about talking..... religion and politics...... wait a minute?

Cheeser likes this.
  7. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Well, if I get sensored for quoting from the Declararation of independence, I'd be very supprised.

8. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

;) whole thread.

Longbow_06 likes this.
  9. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Ah, Gotcha ;)
    Well believe it or not, I'm actually not very religious, or political. But I do belive that the act of self defence is a right.
    From where it stems, I have no idea, but I'll use any means possible to enforce that right.
    The question of gun ownership shouldn't even crop up, as it is clearly stated in the Bill of Rights, and the 2nd A clearly makes possible the defence of all other rights.
    The Constitution and the BoR is not outdated. Just take a look at the news and social media, every day.

surefire7 and moostapha like this.
  10. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

as long as no one is derailing a thread with it i don't mind political or religious talk.

11. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

On hyperbole, I agree with you. Hyperbole can lose you the respect of people who would prefer logic. However, it is a rhetorical strategy that works to galvanize large numbers of people who were never going to follow one's logical argument anyway. Politicians everywhere use it and similar strategies all the time. It isn't even just the populists. My point was just that it isn't surprising that the author of that piece is perhaps somewhat overstating his argument.

He has a point, though. Many, many people seem to think that it is immoral to own a gun. The moral argument for self-defense does have to get out there, if the position is going to remain viable. It's just that it isn't likely that the Second Amendment will disappear anytime soon, as it's really hard to change the Constitution (not that this doesn't mean the right couldn't be eroded, such as cities banning firearms altogether, things like that).

12. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

I have no doubt that the Second will never vanish, but then, gun owners in England and Australia probably thought the same. (In their own way, of course.)
    Checks and Balances may be in place, but all it takes is for the wrong stars to align.
    Folks ask me what I feel about gun ownership, as I'm from England. My answer is always the same.
    "Anyone who has the legal right to own one, should own one. If you can only afford one, a Glock 19 will work every time."
    People think that everything will be okay, no need for a firearm.
    I point to Argentina 1998-2001 and beyond, and the financial collapse. No country is too big to collapse.
    Like the majority of Americans, the country is living pay-check to pay-check at this point. And again, it only takes the wrong stars to align.

13. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Hi, all. While the discussion here has been polite and respectful, there is indeed a statement under Rule #2 of the forum:
    2. Language and Content Foul, obscene or overtly suggestive language or content is not acceptable; nor is language that is sexist, racist, bigoted or homophobic. If you wouldn’t say it to your mother, grandmother, clergyman, or a kindergarten class, don’t say it here. These restrictions also apply to: photos, graphics, videos, linked content, acronyms or abbreviations, or creative use of symbols, which, if spelled out, would contain the same prohibited language.​

Threads/posts that are political or religious in nature are not permitted.
    Why did we place this statement in the rules? Because we witnessed too many instances where the discussion did NOT remain polite and respectful and turned ugly, creating much work for staff and ill will among members. Therefore, this thread is now closed. We appreciate your understanding. If you have any questions, contact a staff member. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.