1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The "MOD" from hell ... some assistance please !!!

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by EODtech, Oct 9, 2008.

1. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

Well today I completed my Swiss Spirit pocket clip mod, all went according to plans with ONE exception.

[img width=640 height=261]http://www.gulftel.com/gnoza/images/spiritclip.jpg[/img]

What a bear of a time drilling the s/s L/M pocket clip... it's very hard s/s.

It took me close to 2 hours to drill the one 5/64" hole - I would drill, sharpen the bit, change to another bit, resharpen, seems like it went on for ever - when it actually did.

Questions:

1. Does any one have a punch for stamping out the one hole that I could pay to do one hole in a LM pocket clip for my SOG mod?

2. Would a local machine shop have such a punch , and be willing to do it for one hole, or is there some other type of fabricator that I need to contact?

3. What type of a drill bit do I need to use against this s/s to do this in a short period of time if I have to do it myself?

4. Any other suggestions

TIA

2. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Try a cobalt drill bit. Much harder than a high speed steel bit. The clip is hardened and then tempered back to "springy" - still pretty hard stuff. If the cobalt bit won't cut it, then maybe a small carbide burr would work.

3. Patrick T

Patrick T Empty Pockets

Mcmaster Carr has that size of bit in solid carbide for $7.38.

Their website is designed in a way that my pea brain can't get it to link but it is part number 2956a12.

Use a lubricant and it should go through without too much hassle.

Patrick

4. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

Solid carbide should cut it but **** solid carbide is so hard that it is brittle and should only be used in a drill press with full safety gear on on. use plenty of coolant.

5. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

I need to get some of those solid carbide drills. Never seen those before...

6. lcranston

lcranston Loaded Pockets

You can use a small masonry bit to drill through hardened steel.

7. Interceptor

Interceptor Empty Pockets

If you ever need to drill through hardened steel (like a heat-treated knife blade), carbide is about the only thing that will do it for a relatively low price. Use a drill press (I wouldn't even try it on a hand-held drill) and plenty of cutting fluid.

8. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

Can't stress that enough! Cover all essential body parts. In a catastrophic failure of this there WILL be shrapnel.

9. mho1970

mho1970 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Take your time and have patience or you may have an embarrassing story to tell the EDC gang after you heal. A hydraulic knock out almost turned my glasses into contact lenses except I was 4 inches to the right of the path of a speeding bullet.