1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The micro grappling hook is useful after all!

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Valerian, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Blimey

Blimey Loaded Pockets

I'm considering using mine on the cat right now...

2. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

Lol, cuz i wanna be a NINJA!? lol

3. woods

woods Empty Pockets

Before these hooks became popular (like 1998) I used spent brass cases that were not reloadable and some radio board standoff screws to make hooks like this. I punched 3 or 4 holes at the base to put the standoffs in and put wire or cordage out the back. After filling them with resin I cut the heads off machine screws and filed them to a point to be screwed into the standoffs.

All the stuff was leftovers except for a dime worth of screws. We sent them to iraq and afghanistan 3 years in a row to be used to check for traps. We played around a bit with them and once saved a fishing pole from certain doom.

4. Blimey

Blimey Loaded Pockets

Cool. :thumbsup:

5. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Before I got one of the "real" Micro grappling hooks, I made my own version by drilling holes in a big-ish spy capsule, using Araldite to glue "spikes" into the body, & using Marine Epoxy, I sealed them in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOT pretty, but serviceable.

Aleister and Nick4305 like this.
  6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

^ cool cool, COOL!

Nick4305 likes this.
  7. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

or you could... idk... reach in and grab it.

Nick4305 and kikaida like this.
  8. cerbera147

cerbera147 Loaded Pockets

Same here ;D

Mine is always in my bag. I'd actually like the larger one as well.

[​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  9. Ryan Grondin

Ryan Grondin Loaded Pockets

I have had the Mini for a while and I use it all the time at work for various situations. For example, I've used it to catch a wire and pull it closer, or I've used it to drop down an empty wall cavity when snaking wires. The best use I've ever had was using it to throw up over a tree branch with some paracord.. to pull up larger rope for a rope swing.. Yes.. I know I could have used a rock or something.. but I wouldn't feel like such a ninja.. I just ordered the bigger one... you never know when the urge to turn into a ninja may arise... so better to be prepared. If anything.. they're a fun little toy.. and conversation piece.

Al Effendi, Nick4305 and keith1234 like this.
  10. nitevision

nitevision Loaded Pockets

I was about to ask about the uses for such a device but then it dawned on me that I should just buy one and look for excuses to use it :p

TDS, Al Effendi and Nick4305 like this.
  11. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love this thread !
    Thank you Valolammas ! How can be possibile that i missed this wonderful thread 'til now ... !
    Btw this is my one, quite always in my EDC dump (i take every opportunity i have to show it ...). :D
    [​IMG]

I strongly hope to have more members in this year, in my DOGH Party !!!
    Nick

[​IMG]

12. ParTimeBourne

ParTimeBourne Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking of getting one to put on the end of a long piece of wire with a crocodile clip on the other end to make a makeshift SW radio antenna. Though I'm worried I would throw it into a tree and not be able to shake it loose.

Nick4305 likes this.
  13. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

I have the mini and have yet to use it in anger.

There is one thing I have always worried about and that is the 'Old lady who swallowed a fly' scenario.

This is the situation where you try to use the grappling hook to carry out a task, but it get snagged in a difficult place. Then you must get out the next size version to attempt to recover the first, but that too gets snagged and you must find yet another to attempt to recover that, and so on until you decide to swallow a horse.....:timebomb:

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

You could use it as a weight without screwing the pins into the outside, but just leaving them inside where they are housed. When you cut the line it will fall out, I assume.

15. Jupeli

Jupeli Loaded Pockets

I just have to report that the micro grappling hook has actually succesfully done something useful. Some guy had thrown another's bag onto the roof of a trailer sauna, a bit more than 3 meters high. (Alcohol was somewhat involved with the incident...) Anyway, there were no ladder anywhere in the vicinity so out came the grappling hook to save the day. Added a bunch of paracord and with a couple of attempts, down came the bag!

Nick4305, SAKplumber and vinniec5 like this.
  16. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I am wondering how long it will be before throwing things down the well and retrieving it becomes a regular activity at family gatherings. :Juggle:

ATB,
    Sam

17. Witchdoctor_07

Witchdoctor_07 Loaded Pockets

I used the large one when I was overseas. They were great for throwing around corners to set off trip wires. Just throw it high down a long hall or around a corner and slowly pull the thing back to you. I reeled in a nasty shemagh once, but no trip wires. It did save our bacon once as the sound of it hitting the floor in the hallway startled an Iraq who ended up running out of the room backwards and right into our rear security element!

Early in the game we knew that trip wires were not something we had to worry about so we used them to see how much stuff we could "reel" from someones rack...

SAKplumber likes this.