1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Metric System

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by WsRub04, Oct 21, 2013.

?

You and the metric system

1. Love it and use daily

73.7%
  2. Use it sometimes

10.5%
  3. Never use it, but others I know do.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Can't stand it. What's wrong with the good old inch, foot and mile?

12.3%
  5. What the heck is the metric system?

3.5%
  1. WsRub04
    • In Omnia Paratus

WsRub04 Loaded Pockets

After reviewing one of the maps that SAKplumber posted, I am curious how many use the metric system.
    Do you use it? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Relate your experiences. And can someone tell me why the US does not use it?

boyo17 and SAKplumber like this.
  2. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately we are stuck on the imperial system. It would be a pain for a lot of people to get used to a switch but metic does make much more sense. I guess we just like crashing Mars landers too much to change here in the U.S.

3. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

Having Chemistry, I use it daily. Honestly it makes more sense than the standard system. Definitely easier to count by tens.

jeffmcc likes this.
  4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Yes, because having our measuring system mimic our money is too complicated.:p

Counting by tens is hard!

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Oct 21, 2013
    atilano likes this.
  5. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would suspect that the change to metric is hindered by a couple of major factors, money and desire. There is no return on investment for converting equipment that is based on standard measurements to metric measurements in one fell swoop.

jeffmcc likes this.
  6. Yetitrician

Yetitrician Loaded Pockets

The metric system is the tool of the devil. My car gets 4 rods to the hogs head and that's the way I like it.

Sent a short time ago drom a galaxy far far away.

groovster, T.H.Cone and SAKplumber like this.
  7. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

I use the metric system daily and love it. But I can adapt either way, I can pretty much convert most measurements in my head (approximate) so it doesn't bother me. Most of the engineering drawings I create are done as metric being the primary units, but Imperial units are also shown in brackets for the people who cannot stand metric...
    A simple non-biased solution for everyone: Buy an Inchworm AND a Centipede in the forum store! :p

Vesp, Nick4305 and WsRub04 like this.
  8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was told we would go to metric one day...I was also told I would never need math:p

9. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Except for things like balancing your checkbook and budgeting your household income.

No wonder the FEDGOV can't do it, they all must have gone to different high schools with SAKp.

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

For smaller businesses it's probably a lot easier to make that decision. When you have billions of dollars invested in machinery, instruments, etc that are based on the imperial system it will take longer. It's not impossible, but will take a lot more time as equipment will be replaced as it fails, not "just because".

Of course, any of our equipment not designed or built in the US, will most likely be made using metric measurements. A case in point, an expansion we did in our industrial plant about 9 yrs ago was based on tech from one of our European industrial plant processes. Some of this equipment was designed using metric measurements, which is weird for what I was used to. For my career in this company I've been thinking in standard units, psig and gallons for example. That new process was in bar and cubic meters. I learned to convert rather quickly.:)

11. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

It's our cars that make me giggle the most. A USA made car now uses metric fasteners almost exclusively, but still measures it gas tank capacity and speed in imperial units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

persco, SAKplumber and WsRub04 like this.
  12. akmedic77

akmedic77 Loaded Pockets

I'm in the medical field. All of out measurements are metric. It's a lot easier to deal with...

jeffmcc likes this.
  13. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

I'm Canadian, grew up with the metric system and used it through out school and university. I'm not sure why the Americans don't use it, but I'd guess its for historical reasons? As far as expensive multi billion dollar equipment? I'd be willing to bet very little of it is based on the imperial system, American made or not. The reason for this? Metric is the internationally accepted scientific standard. I could be very wrong but I somehow doubt NASA is measuring Mars missions by the imperial system...

jeffmcc likes this.
  14. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

I used to work with a Canadian who had gone to college to be an electrical engineer. He was quite good at converting between the two systems in his head. While we were doing installations, he thought it was rather amusing to translate one's called out imperial measurements into metric, just to try and confuse people.

I would agree that it is easier to count by tens and move the decimal point. I remember coming home from school--where they were teaching both systems because the Canadians were invading, I mean, because we would eventually switch--and trying to count count how many centimeters were in an inch on my dad's tape measure.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Ultra using Tapatalk 4.

SpyderPrepper likes this.
  15. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

What kind of tank is your car? BTW are those UK or US hogsheads?

16. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

Still, in Canada, in construction, everyone I deal with uses inches and feet. I'm just fine with metric... ...but I purposefully buy tape measures that just have inches on them to avoid confusion while armpit deep in a dark snakenest of piping.

17. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

18. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

We use almost exclusively the metric (= standard) system in Europe. Your imperial standard is not a standard at all! :p ;)
    There are a few exceptions, though, like in plumbing they measure pipes by inches, but only by speaking about them. In reality the pipes are standardised metrically.
    The other exception I’m aware of is (musical) drums, which are measured in inches nearly always and everywhere (AFAIK there were some metric approaches in the fifties or sixties).

Nick4305 likes this.
  19. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

... and firearms, too. :)

20. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I used to use it daily, but since I retired from being an automotive tech and went into I.T. I don't use it much. I prefer it, I think kilometers would be my only challenge.

Nick4305 likes this.