1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Little Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tony Sal, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the thread, subbed. Was going to start one asking about micro knives.

[​IMG]

2. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Welcome! It was an idea because being old -lol- I have quite s few small ones- I got to get into the photo posting!

hal_chase, Brtsmpsn and quickster47 like this.
  3. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

The Christy is here! Interesting, certainly sharp- thanks jacknife for the assist on the one hand opening. Is what it is and a piece of knife histrory and Americana...

hal_chase and Brtsmpsn like this.
  4. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Carrrying a Christy knife around and using it as a edc pocket knife, is kind of like taking an old German Luger to the shooting range. Yes, there's more modern guns with better designs like Glock, and SIG. But the Luger a step back into history, and it's so darn cool as well. And yeah, anyone could carry a Spyderco, but the Christy is soooo cool with a history. The fact that the Navy and Army Px's sold these during WW2, and lots of service men in both the Pacific and European theaters of operations got some very good service out them. Says a lot about not really needing a tactical knife for cutting what you need to cut.

5. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Is that an authentic Explorer Mini Stubby on top? I carried one as my primary EDC knife for many of my formative years, until it was stolen on a job site. Great little knife in its day!

hal_chase, vegassprky and Brtsmpsn like this.
  6. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

I am not really sure if it is the mini stubby been trying to find out for a while what the name of it is. Did a quick google search and found a pic that included the box which does look familiar but I got this back in the early to mid ninties (I think) so I don't know for sure. The knife has no identifying marks on it, just "STAINLESS TAIWAN" stamped at the base of the blade. I did find mention of a knock off on this forum mentioned here which also looks like the stamp is slightly different again. Regardless it is a favourite of mine, sorry to hear yours got nicked. If anyone is able to advise what it is I would love to know.
    [​IMG]

7. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Too bad the Luger isn't as easy to get as the Christy ;) I'd EDC both together!

(Glock a better design?? :eek: )

8. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

9. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Very nice- approximate year for this one?

hal_chase and Brtsmpsn like this.
  10. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

Well I just ordered it off fleabay a few days ago, so its current I believe, A.G. Russell sells them as well. Not date on box, but its a Boker Tree Brand, Red Bone Pen Knife. Right around $50, the fit and finish are excellent, I was actually very surprised and happy to see how ell its is made. They are made in Germany, the steel is Soligen SS. Its a replacement for a knife I lost about a year ago, the first knife my Dad ever gave me.

11. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Ok - the memory will live on in the new one...

12. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

Its a very small knife 2.75" long, found out last night they come with different handle materials, mine was sold as Red Bone, but actually looks more like some sort of wood. Still its a very well made little guy. And yes the memory will live on with this one since the original is gone, I have been tearing my house and garage apart for the better part of a month looking for it!

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  13. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

That's a very beautiful little pen knife! But then that is something Boker always did well. Back in the 80's I had a great little Boker 240 pen knife with rosewood and carbon steel scales. I let someone talk me out of it, and figured to get myself another one. Then I found out they had been discontinued. BUGGER! As our British cousins would say. Love the way Boker does the red bone, so rich in depth and color!

Brtsmpsn and edjo69 like this.
  14. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

heyhey, I own one like the one on top! I love that thing and it was with me on many adventures 10 years ago.. I found it someday, but never could figure out what manufacturer it is (had to exchange the thumbstud and the pivot screws and tried to find original pieces) - on mine is written: Magnum Stainless, and a Logo of an M in a circle.
    anyone can help here? - I still own it but don't use it much these days.

Brtsmpsn and Adahn like this.
  15. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

You are right on the red bone, my picture does not do it justice, it looks so much better in person! Is Red Bone actually bone?? (sorry if that's a stupid question)

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  16. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah, it's real bone. Where the American companies use regular cow bone from the stockyards, I read someplace years ago that Boker uses cow shin bones from Argentina. The thought was, that the Argentine cattle are more free ranging, rather than feed lots, and the free ranging cattle had denser bone. But no matter what the reason, Boker does a very excellent job with the shin bone they use. In fact, your knife is so pretty, I may order one for me just like it!

But day-um, I still miss my little Boker 240!

Brtsmpsn, edjo69 and Tony Sal like this.
  17. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

There should be a comparison thread somewhere on this forum with almost every tiny knife that's been made and their dimensions, but I couldn't find unfortunately. Perhaps someone with better search-skills has more luck?

I have a few little ones myself but I need to make some new pics, I'll see if I can gather them up for a group shot if we get some sunlight this week.

Treya and Brtsmpsn like this.
  18. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

L.T. Wright Patriot

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DomC, GiraffeHooves, Nekolf and 4 others like this.
  19. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

removed because replied to wrong post, sorry

Brtsmpsn and Tony Sal like this.
  20. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Just did some research.. mine must be a Böker Magnum version of that knife on top. Still not sure wich model it is. could not find a photo. looks almost identical to the one you posted, but the line between spine and the hollow grind shows a elegant slight curve instead of that straight line.

as said, this is a great little knife. I replaced almost all the screws on it multiple times (with whatever kind of screw fitted better). when I was younger I did not care so much about re-tightening and so I lost the screws and even the thumbstud soon after I found it. that was in 2002. the good thing about that knife was: it was my only knife at that time, and I could re-tighten the pivot-screw with a penny if there was no screwdriver around.

used and abused it hard (cutting everything that needed cutting, food, prying with the blade, scraping and hammering with the aluminium handle.. the handle looks a bit beat up now, but the blade is still perfect) and carried it on my journeys everday until 2007 or so. sharpening with a coffee mug was always enough, if I did not have my tiny piece of stone with me that fitted in my coin pocket of my jeans. (lost that, too.. too bad)

having this small bugger in hand always reminded me of our anchestors doing their business with their hand-axes and simple stone tools like no other knife I own. it has this very basic shape. like that.

had a great time with it, though. must be the only knife that I still own that is associated with so many stories (and luckily none of them violent) :)

thanks for posting a picture of this on the day I got my account writing permission here ;)

Last edited by flux, Feb 15, 2015
    Treya and Tony Sal like this.