1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Little Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tony Sal, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Good to Esee you Jack!!
    Got my brass one ready to go!!

MartinC likes this.
  2. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

As I got older and entered into senior citizen status, I've discovered what my dad knew. That in a life in suburbia, not much knife is really needed, and having a very small 'penknife' sized knife leaves more room in the pocket for 'other' things that may well be needed more. Dad was an enthusiast of the Christy, and in his latter years carried it exclusively when he retired his Case peanut. Looking back on it all, I never really needed all those knives I accumulated, it was all want as part of my obsession on the knife. With the exception of food duty on camping trips, and practicing of so called survival stuff that I never needed, I very rarely needed more than 2 inches of blade.

Now after a year or so of not carrying one, I have a whole new appreciation of just how useful a little everyday cutter the Christy is in an urban environment. No, I wouldn't want to be parachuted into the Canadian bush country with just a Christy, or be part of a resistance group fighting occupying enemy forces while shouting "WOLVERINES" from the rooftop, but for an everyday pocket knife for Joe Average going about his life in suburbia, picking up a pizza on the way home from work, dropping off the dry cleaning, riding the bus/train into the city for the job in an office cubical, a soccer dad with the mini van having to cut a tangle rubber band out a little girls pony tail, opening the package that Amazon left by the front door, its darn near a perfect little pocket knife. Especially for a retired old fart that does a lot of fishing in his days of leisure. I'd forgotten how much I love the feature of picking how much blade I want sticking out.

You could do much much worse than having a Christy knife in your pocket.

MartinC, Tony Sal and garza like this.
  3. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Well, I got it. Finally a Christy that I can open easily. I gave up on them a few years ago but recent discussions have prompted me to give it another try.
    I got the standard one to start and planning on the brass one next.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And with my Exec:
    [​IMG]

Nick4305, MartinC, ran23 and 4 others like this.
  4. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I knew you could! I too have both...

5. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Thanks for not giving up on me. Still trying to figure out why I need both. I guess it's Want vs Need.

MartinC and Tony Sal like this.
  6. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I don't think you will be disappointed. As much as I love my SAK classic and executive, when I carry the Christy, its team up with my Leatherman squirt and that is moe than enough for my urban/suburban life style and fishing expeditions. The Christy is just so damm handy with the sliding blade and multi positional locking points, that its like a penknife and box cutter in one package.

My dad gave me one when I was a kid, and I've carried one on and off ever since. But as I got 'older', the times I carried it got more and more as I grew to appreciate the beauty of it in real world use.

7. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Really like it already. Sometimes simpler is better.

MartinC, Tony Sal and jackknife like this.
  8. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Just put a 200 buck BM away and got out my brassChrisgy for tomorroe

MartinC likes this.
  9. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Most the time.

When I look back on my prime knife nut years, it was definitely like a period of some sort of temporary insanity. Big blades, small blades, custom made blades like Randall's and Hendrickson's, and old Harry Morseth and George Stone. I even tried Pacific Cutlery Company balisongs, and Rolex knives.

When I finally woke up and looked around at all the crap I had collected, I though 'what the hell am I doing with all this 'stuff?" I had a massive sell off of the customs and high end stuff, gave away most of the other stuff, and now I can hold my entire knife collection in one hand. I remembered how my dad lived his whole life with a Case peanut or the Christy knife in his pocket and did fine. If he went fishing, he took a fishing knife with him. If he took us camping, he had a small fixed blade on his belt. But for just walking around town, he didn't carry more knife than the Case peanut and the Christy.

It took me about 3/4's of a lifetime to come to my senses and just carry a small penknife size blade like our grandfathers and the other old farts did. Now in my old fart years, I realize how right those old timers were.

medic68, MartinC, Lateck and 2 others like this.
  10. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Extremely well put. Greatly reducing my knives also (old fart syndrome). Flashlights too.

MartinC, jackknife and Tony Sal like this.
  11. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Oh, and good to Esee you again jackknife!

MartinC likes this.
  12. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I've sent off flashlights to new homes as well as most my gun collection and spare tools that were duplicates. I wonder if its a stage of life you get to in our 'older' years, where we finally realize we won't be skinning buffalo in the wilderness, or fighting a resistance movement while shouting "Wolverines!". A sort of new and more clear vision pragmatism that replaces the fantasies of youth?

On going through my 60's I realized that I am never going to be backpacking in the wilderness again, I'm not a hunter, and I'm not some sort of high speed low drag operator. Just a retired machinist, ex mini van driving soccer dad, now grandfather teaching my youngest grandchild to fish. As a citizen of modern civilized suburbia, I just don't find myself in situations where I need more than a small pen knife sized blade or needing more flashlight than my trusty keychain Fenix E01. Walking the dog at night, my AA maglight LED is enough. If I need more than 272 lumens, or 2 inches of blade, then something is very wrong.

MartinC, dmattaponi and Tony Sal like this.
  13. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

I'm hoping someone might be able to identify this style of knife for me. My dad remembers my grandfather having one similar and is disappointed to have lost track of it over the years.

The knife rotates open then the blade covering pivots around to lock it open. The other side is also personalized with initials and a last name. Judging by the inscription, I'm leaning toward it having been a token of appreciation.

I'd like to be able to order something similar for my dad, he remembers his dad keeping it in his desk and would like something similar.

Any help or direction to a possible replacement vendor would be greatly appreciated.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Nick4305, Lateck, MartinC and 4 others like this.
  14. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

No marking on the blade tang that would reveal the maker?

15. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

The A.G. Russell Company currently makes a version of these. They call it the “Titanium Funny Folder”. It’s the only place I have found that sells them. Cost is ~$50.
    Good hunting!

16. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately no markings on the blade

Tony Sal likes this.
  17. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

Thanks!

MartinC, Cobra 6 Actual and Tony Sal like this.
  18. Sonorum

Sonorum Loaded Pockets

Is this small enough?
    [​IMG]
    Stonewashed Dragonfly Wharncliffe

MartinC, Wes Lee, Lateck and 4 others like this.
  19. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I guess an Opinel #6 is kinda little, about the size of a 91mm SAK?
    Ones that fit in the watch pocket are my usuals.

MartinC likes this.
  20. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

The number 6 Opinel is the smallest one with the locking ring, but its a bulky knife for its weight. The round handle shape is a pain to carry in a pocket and a 91mm SAK is a flatter package and rides in pants pockets better. I carry a number 6 once in a while but then I get tired of the bulk fast and go back to a smaller SAK. A58mm or 74mm SAk is my regular carry, and they really do most of what I need a pocket knife for in suburbia. If I go woods walking or fishing my Buck 102 is on my belt. If the watch pocket knife is too small, then its time for the fixed blade.