1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Little Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tony Sal, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Very cool, great idea,
    I use one of those plastic boxes with moveable deviders...

Moshe ben David, Wes Lee and MatBlack like this.
  2. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

I bought a cheap acrylic organizer on Amazon that was marketed for cosmetics. Works perfectly for small knives and lights and holds mid size ones and watch straps in the drawers.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Like the boxes for fishing tackle? I have four of those suckers; bought them at Walmart. Particularly liked them because (a) they were cheap - around $5 a box or so; and (b) it is 'claimed' that the plastic is treated to 'minimize' rust as one might expect for fishing tackle (lures etc). Don't know if this is just hype and don't care, given the price of the boxes! :)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Wes Lee likes this.
  4. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Actually, about 1ft square plastic, lid with 2 latches, about 2in thick, clear lid, can use it for anything I guess...

#2224 Tony Sal, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  5. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I have a my knives in bunch of different Wal-Mart plastic tackle organizers...at least 4 different styles and sizes. They are the best thing I've found to keep my knives organized. I also use a Plano 757 tackle box that I bought in the 90s when I worked at an Oshman's sporting goods store.

MartinC, Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  6. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

Now that is sweet, I've always lusted after WH knives. I will have to admire from afar, as I'm now retired and broke flatter than p!$$ on a plate...

Moshe ben David, 0880 and Tony Sal like this.
  7. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

Yeah. They're even more pricey now than when I bought this one. Probably 12-15+ years ago.

I couldn't resist it. Titanium (clip & liner), real dry carbon fiber handle, cpm154 blade. Super light weight. I'm a sucker for CF & Ti sometimes. I think this model was discontinued 10+ years ago.

0880 and Tony Sal like this.
  8. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I think my knife minimalism has shrunk to a new phase of small in my old age. For the past twenty years I've been on this downsize kick, and the 58mm classic and a Case peanut was my EDC pocket knives. If I went camping or woods walking, a Buck sheath knife went on my hip, but for around town, which is where most of my life takes place, the little SAK does everything I need from a pocket knife. For the past two years now I've been using the dog poo out of a 74mm executive, and loving it. Its been on road trips from our home in Georgetown Texas to our daughters place in Mission Viejo California. Theres. been some side trips in Arizona and New Mexico, and the Big Bend National Park in west Texas. So far I haven't really needed any more knife.

BUT...that little three letter word comes in, theres been some times that I was going to do some dirty work, some rough job that I just knew as sure as the sun would rise in the east tomorrow morning, would take the edge right off the blade of my pocket knife. For most of my life I've been over protective of my daily pocket knife, and have in the past resorted to box cutters and 'other' less costly knives. For many years now, I've been using the little O[pinels. The small number 6 that is the smallest one with a lock, and the number 4 and 5's that are strait little friction folders. They get unholy sharp and cut like the dickens. The little Opinels are so feather light in weight, that I actually can carry it in my shirt pocket. From late march to late October my daily shirt is the Magellan fishing shirt with two large velcro sealed pockets with one of them having a zipper closure. The number 4 or 5 Opinel drops in the shirt pocket and goes literally unnoticed during the day.

I don't know if even a fresh bladed box cutter cuts as clean as a sharp Opinel when it comes to breaking down a extra large pizza box or Amazon box for the recycle bin. The thin Opinel blade of a number 5 whispers through cardboard in a smooth spooky way. Sisal rope is hardly enough to feel a hesitation going through.

I've always loved the little knives, but the little Opinels make a great team up with the small 58mm and 74mm SAK's.

Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  9. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I carry an actual box cutter for dirty work. I like the Lenox blades for it. They have 4 notches which gives you more options for locking blade length.

This particular knife is made by T&P and is titanium. It has a bottle opener and an area meant for prying. I've had it a year and really like it.

10. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

CrazyRussianHacker on YT latest vid is an unboxing of little knives from Boker and Spyderco. Pretty nice blades.

MartinC and Tony Sal like this.
  11. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

yes brother Jack,unless the Chinese paratroops are approaching, a #6 Opi should work ok!

MartinC and garza like this.
  12. Moshe ben David

@jackknife: I'm sort of with you. Although... I actually prefer the Antonini 'Old Bear' knives to Opinel. Partly just the feel in hand; partly the walnut handles, which don't seem to be a sensitive to humidity as the Opinel handles, which in the 'wrong' season can result in the blades getting really hard to open. Never had those issues with the Old Bear knives. Don't get me wrong -- I do have a few Opinel and they're as you say; great edc and sharp as can be. I just have issues when the humidity gets too high. Like this time of year... :( at least here in Virginia.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

13. AUPhan
    • In Omnia Paratus

AUPhan Loaded Pockets

My Kershaw Chive

[​IMG]

MartinC, Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  14. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I know what you mean by humidity. I was born and lived most of my life in and around the Washington D.C. area, D.C. is my old hometown that I kept to until our move in retirement to Georgetown Texas. WAY less humidity here than back 'there'. I can recall standing on the Capital steps and seeing the mall and Washington monument in a blue haze of humidity. UUUhhh!

The Opinel's can get a little stiff, but if they have been treated they will not stick. I take some kind of petroleum like Chapstick, Vasoline, Johnson's Floor wax, and smear a good gob to in the joint and then use the better half blow drier to melt it all into the wood. A couple times doing that and you've got a pretty darn water resistant Opinel.

But if its going to be wet conditions, then I have my life long standby's in the pocket, the small Victorinox SAK's. Lord knows I've been traveling all over creation since 1969, when I got my first SAK, and they've never let me down yet. Those little SAK's have taken care of slicing cheese and bread for lunch, opening all kinds of packages, cutting all kinds of twine/rope, Dealing with splinters in human digits, stickers up between our canine companion's paw pads, a zillion small repairs dealing with small Phillips screws, keeping nails trimmed and filed, and a half a billion other little jobs that pop up with no notice in greater suburbia or the rest of the world.

My overwhelming choice for the past 51 years has been a SAK. For the past 25 years it's been a small SAK.

MartinC, Tony Sal and Moshe ben David like this.
  15. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

I was visiting the kids in Quantico a couple weeks ago when it was pushing 100. Miserable didn't begin to describe it.

MartinC, Tony Sal and Moshe ben David like this.
  16. Moshe ben David

Seeing as I opened the side conversation about horrible humidity....

Anytime I feel put out by the humidity here in Virginia, I reflect back on my experiences in Asia. My benchmark is a period I spent on assignment in Singapore... in August. Let's put it this way. Walk out of your hotel or office to the actual outdoors (as opposed to using a 'skybridge' between adjacent buildings!). In August? How about 99+F coupled with 99% RH? And it didn't necessarily get better at night... :)

THAT is miserable! :(

I still love my times back in Asia though.... ;)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

17. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've lived in south Florida since 1982 so I thought I had an understanding of heat and humidity. That was until I went on a cruise where a port-of-call was Cozumel (an island just off the coast of the Mexican Yucatan)
    As soon as we got off the ship the heat hit us like a hammer. I can't imagine living in a place like that.

18. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

We've been to Key West in the summer when rates were lower, and it was hot!

But D.C. was built on a drained swamp, (some say its still a swamp and I won't argue) and its sandwiched right between two rivers. The Potomac and the Annocostia. In summer, anything more than a block away gets a blue haze around to from the moisture in the air. At any point over 90 degrees, it gets unbearable real fast. t least in Key West and Miami the nights are breeze and beautiful. D.C. by night is just a darker version of the daytime D.C., but more dangerous with he night zombies out roaming around.

Summer in D.C. stainless steel knives are near mandatory.

19. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've been to Key West a few times and the weather is fine. Gainesville Florida in June was the most uncomfortable I've ever been in the U.S. No breeze whatsoever when I was there. Ugh.

20. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

So....... it seems another +vote for small SAKS?

MartinC and jackknife like this.