1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Little Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tony Sal, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Or a Christy Knife... ;)

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Available in plain edge or Spyder edge

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Spyderco 'Salts' are available with either PE or SE. I have mostly SE but a couple of PE. This is true for either those made with H1 or with LC200N as far as I know.

Logically, one might think that the SE would be most preferred -- works great on ropes etc.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

BLJace, MartinC and Tony Sal like this.
  4. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

No, not even a Christy knife anymore. My granddaughter has my Christy and my 99% EDC is a Victorinox executive. I've really went to maximum minimalism in my senior citizen years. My keyring lighter now than ever without all those EDC items that rarely got used. The only other knife I carry at times is a mini fixed blade. Now that I'm not in the peoples republik of marylandistan anymore I can do that. So a Boker Ghome in in my pocket in it's index sheath for one handed use and sturdy enough to lean on in an emergency. Texas allows for concealed fixed blades.

I've always loved the idea of a un-folding pocket knife, but Marylands insane knife laws made ANY concealed fixed blade illegal. I almost got arrested for a tiny Buck Hartsook when a cop saw me take it out out to cut open a package. The un-folding pocket knife lets you forget about any possibility of blade folding, lock or no lock, opening or closing, hidden areas for dirt/bacteria, and WAY easier for arthritic old fingers to deal with.

The classic or executive keeps my nails nice while the ghome cuts everything I need to. I love the small un-folding pocket knife.

#1984 jackknife, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Light keychain and Executive for me also...don't want to take a Buck 110 behind enemy lines in NYC...

Moshe ben David and BLJace like this.
  6. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Flee!

I fled the peoples republik of marylandistan for the free Republic Of Texas, and now that I can practice my 2d amendment rights, my right pocket is occupied by either a NAA mini .22 revolver or the .380 Ruger LCP.

I got tired of living behind the enemy lines and fled for my life.

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

The Spyderco Assist is available in H1 as a combo blade. It's mostly serrated but the front 25% or so is PE.

ATB,
    Sam

Moshe ben David, BLJace and Tony Sal like this.
  8. Moshe ben David

@jackknife: I appreciate your post a lot. I live down in Northern Virginia - Fairfax county. I do drive up into Maryland pretty often (Rockville/Silver Spring areas). I'd thought often of getting a pocket size fixed blade for the sheer utility. Until your post I hadn't even thought of such small blades being illegal to pocket carry there!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  9. Moshe ben David

+1 Tony! When I'm forced to visit NYC... which does happen but fortunately not so often... I usually carry a SAK or one of the Spyderco slip joints (Pingo, Spy-DK). But usually a SAK such as a Huntsman or Fieldmaster.

I hate NYC...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  10. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I Love NYC but not the lib, PC, spineless scumb pols.

11. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Moshe, the real insanity of the place comes in many ways. Maryland knife laws are typical of the insanity. Any folding knife, no matter the size, is legal under the Pen knife" law. As long as it does not come under the switchblade law, with a button activated blade, it okay. No matter if its an Opinel number 12 or Cold Steel vaquero grande with a 6 inch blade. A giant Navajo is legal.

BUT...a tiny Buck Hartsook with a 1 3/4 inch blade is verboten if it's down in your pocket. Then its a concealed fixed blade. Talk about nuts!:eek:

I couldn't wait to sell off the place in Germantown, and when the better half finally retired, we sold out and got outa there. The family on my wifes side was all in Texas, so Texas it was. I haven't missed Maryland in the least! It gets hot in the summer, but I don't have to own an ice scraper or snow shovel, nor long underwear or winter coat. And theres a Ruger LCP in my pocket. Texas encourages 2d amendment rights.

12. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Pretty sure blade length comes into play at the municipality level.

"Both Cambridge, MD and Frederick, MD ban concealed carry if the blade is longer than 3”, while Cheverly, MD sets the length at 2.5”. Laurel, MD outlaws switchblades entirely, even for ownership."

With regards to fixed blades and open carry.... yeah. There's what's legal and what you'll get hassled about.

Wearing a Cheng Sunshine (Cutting edge: 2.75") as a kneck knife... will get you hassled in Maryland. I expect even a CRKT Bita (Blade Length: 1.9") would get you hassled for open carry.

ATB,
    Sam

Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  13. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I am originally from NJ. I still have aunts, uncles, and cousins there. I moved to Florida in 1982 when I was 14 and here I got into guns and hunting and outdoor activities. Due to the idiotic gun laws in the northeast I will never set foot there again. If I can't bring my gun into that state, I don't go there.

jackknife, garza and Tony Sal like this.
  14. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

My new little knife; Kershaw Hotwire
    [​IMG]

15. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I can't visit my own thread! Nice one CF...
    Off to Google...

16. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I don't g back to Maryland even for a visit. I don't foresee ever going back. In fact, if a state doesn't recognize my Texas license to carry, I ain't gonna spend any money or time there.

Screw 'em.

Tony Sal and MatBlack like this.
  17. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Yup. I only go to states cwp reciprocity.

Tony Sal likes this.
  18. Moshe ben David

?????????

Moshe

Tony Sal likes this.
  19. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I have no idea what that meant!

20. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

I finally got a Christie. Not that impressed but fun enough[​IMG]