1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The learning to like tea thread.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Viper101, Dec 6, 2015.

1. kikissabiz

kikissabiz Loaded Pockets

This happened to me too.
    On bussiness trip to china, they served me various flavour. Tie kuan yin ( if i spelled correct) is my favourite. It's greenish fresh and kinda sweet w/o sugar.
    I don't drink black coffee anymore. Makes my hand shakey and heartbeat fast.
    I use brewing pot like this.[​IMG]

2. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

Have you checked to see if there is a tea specialty store in your area? There is one about an hour from us that carries a pretty wide range of loose teas. Although the pre-packaged teas are okay, I like having the option of checking out a broader range of blends.

Inner Prop and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

I have actually three malls very close to me, and all have a Teavana. I haven't really been in yet as it seems pretty fancy and I don't know what I'm looking for. I will have to check them out. I do have a tea pot as well. Cast iron I think but I have been brewing loose tea with what appear to be folded coffee filters that you can fill with tea.

4. Tonedeaf101

Tonedeaf101 Loaded Pockets

Lapsang souchong, the tea of champions!!

LimuHead, Rich73 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I use that ^%$@** in everything!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  6. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

Alright, time for a little schooling from a tea nut. Grab your notepad, and a good pen.

Here's what I will say: American Teas-Gross
    British teas-Somewhat better
    Arabic teas-Holy hell yes.

Find a middle eastern market somewhere near you, go to the tea section.
    For Earl Grey, look for Doe Ghazal, or BEST TEA BRAND. Both are strong. The Doe Ghazal can be brewed hot and made into iced or hot. It's amazing either way.
    For Basic black tea, look for Tapal Danedar. It's a Pakistani tea that actually tastes better than you think. A red box.
    For something reeeeally delicious, you'll want Royal Tea. It looks very sketchy, and has misspellings on the front like "exclellen" and "Prcud", but it tastes so good. A yellow box.
    Another amazing black tea is Barooti Gulabi. box looks cool, strong as heck and tastes great. Large leaves, as well.
    For a weaker, more subtle earl grey, get Persian Special. It's leaves are MASSIVE, and it tastes great.

American teas cost a TON, compared. British teas have gone downhill in recent years. Twinings is depressingly weak. The one I would say stay far, far away from is the Israeli tea Wissotzky. Had little to no tea in it, tasted terrible, the first bag I opened up ripped and tea powder came flying across the kitchen, weaker than green tea, made my tummy hurt. Every bag did, and Wissotzkys quality control was on par with Teavana. It also costed WAAAY too much. $3 for 20 bags? You serious? For quality control worse than teavana? Come on.

Some of these are loose, so get a tea ball. They're like $1 on the bay, and will serve you well. Be sure to get one with a clasp. Mine has served me for well over 2 years now.

Experience: Veteran Tea Drinker, used to drink 3-5 cups a day.

7. Krs

Krs Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that is a good one.

sent from my microwave owen using tapatalk

8. KingRandom2

KingRandom2 Loaded Pockets

Teavana is just too expensive for the quality imo. I like to buy loose leaf tea and use a french press to brew. Just keep experimenting. If you live near a Wegmans supermarket they have a huge tea section and sell loose tea by the ounce. That way you can buy small amounts to see what you like.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  9. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I love Turkish tea so much that I got a proper Turkish tea pot.

Sent by owl post.

10. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

tea thoughts for a coffee lover, from a coffee lover who experimented a bit and found some teas that can equal that blessed black blood of the earth that typically fills my mug.
    • loose leaf tea instead of bags. you can buy it online or in fancier shops. works well in a french press - the leaves can move about in the water more = more contact with water = stronger/more flavor gets into the liquid.
    • I order mine from a place called Silk Road Teas, that sells in quarter pound, half pound, and one pound resealable packages. bear in mind a quarter pound of loose tea is still a lot since it is a bag of dried leaves. their website lets you sort in each category by price so you can poke around and try whatever is in-budget and looks tasty.
    • if it has little bits of nuts and fruit in it, the end result will be less tea and more hot trailmix juice. nothign wrong with some fixins in the tea, but i never cared for the trail mix fixins.
    • brewing temps vary by type of tea. lower tems are good for white and green tea, puerhs/blacks/oolongs can go a bit hotter.
    • Puerh tea - tea that has been fermented a bit like coffee beans. comes in little nuggets you can reuse for several batches or big bricks you can chisel a bit off of as needed. I'd leave it in the bottom of the press, add more hot water the next day. always comes out very dark and coffee-ish.
    • blooming tea - put in a clear teapot/press and watch it unfurl from a little puerh-nugget lookalike into a big pretty flower made of different teas, great for getting a group of people to sit and watch you make tea and drink it with you. Gunpowder tea puts on a similar show - going from little tiny green beads to big green leaves at it steeps.
    • milk, sugar, other fixins - to taste, as with coffee.

Inner Prop, STLmo and Viper101 like this.
  11. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

I'm gonna be the weird guy but has anyone ever tried yaupon tea? I kind of want to grow some since I live in its natural range. And I've heard that besides the caffeine content it's also really good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

If there are any privately owned coffee shops around, you might find some good stuff there. The local shop here sells a variety of loose leaf tea. I've been told they are excellent. The only one I tried was their Chai tea and, let me say, it beats the pants off of any Chai tea I've bought in stores. I'm going to have to make it a point to try their other teas. They have some fruit teas that look interesting.

13. RGRAY

RGRAY Loaded Pockets

I've been drinking a cup of this African tea black every morning for over a year now.
    I like it.
    [​IMG]

14. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

This is really interesting! Doesn't seem super available, but I might see if I can pick some up just out of curiosity. I found a local tea shop decently close that I'm going to try and check out here this weekend or next. Failing that I will probably order from mighty leaf or adagio. I have had good tea from adagio, their sleeping dragon, so maybe one of their other teas will be the 'one'

15. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

Apparently before its scientific name was coined, (Ilex vomitoria) [man I feel so weird not italicizing or underlining that] yaupon holly rivaled a lot of the oriental teas in the tea trade. Native Americans would use it to make what translates as "black drink". Some moron thought it caused them to puke-hence vomitoria- when in reality they probably added other plants that had those effects. Not to mention when you fast for a long time, it's probably not the best idea to drink large amounts of hot liquids really fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

I've been all over the map. Teavana has some great flavored teas (their strawberry fields flowering tea is great yet not real strong). Honestly, though, I decided to try the kind of teas that average Chinese bought by going to some local Asian markets. Great resource if you have them. Lots of variety, yet less expensive so you can try until you find what you like. I've found that Oolong is excellent (someone said it tastes like feet or something? Never got that one...) and Jasmine is different enough to be good. Thai red tea is also good. British teas like earl grey also have some complex but aromatic flavors that are great. Just keep trying until you find what you like. Some of the best tea I ever had was some peppermint tea from an Amish market. Point is try lots to find those types that work best for you. Tea is a very individual taste type thing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

17. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

Update. I have been drinking my Twinnings gunpowder green and enjoying it. I experimented with red and herbal teas which really helped my realize green is my go to. I had some Teavana green called Emperors clouds and mist. This was amazing, easily the best tea I have had and Can certainly help me get over coffee. The problem is it's about $20 for 2 oz. pretty pricey, but might be worth an occasional buy.

theirishboxer likes this.
  18. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I do like my coffee strong with a medium blend. I like it with cream and sweetener (I try to avoid sugar). I enjoy Greek coffee with medium sugar (one teaspoon of sugar with one teaspoon of coffee). I also like cappuccino.

So that's my pallet. If you like strong, sweet, creamy coffee you may like something like I do.

I love chai latte. I make a cup with two or three teabags with honey and milk, not water.

As a kid, my grandmother always gave us Lipton tea with lemon. I hate that. I do like good loose tea if I can get it.

I like earl gray with honey and milk. I will take that without milk too. I feel like just the smell brings my blood pressure down.

Cream in tea is terrible, but milk is very nice. I have to have honey though. Nothing else tastes anywhere near as good in tea. Real sugar is next best, but only a little. I'm still trying to find a sugar-free sweetener that taste good. So far I've only found the liquid real stevia tolerable if you only put in like one single drop per mug.

I'm trying to find a tisane (herbal tea) I like for later in the evening when I want no caffeine, but nothing is really strong and dark enough.

19. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

enjoyingtea.com; they have a huge selection.

Inner Prop likes this.