1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The learning to like tea thread.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Viper101, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

I know we have a lot of international members here, as well as US members that that all probably love tea. I am not (yet) one of those people. But I want to be! I have been a coffee drinker since college, and love coffee. I lived with a Starbucks barista who brought home a pound of fresh beans every week, burr grin died them every morning, and then I would French press before college. I really liked coffee. However more recently, due to some health issues, I was advised to discontinue with coffee. The caffiene was just too much. So I switched to a single cup of green tea a day. Now I like green tea fine. It's good. I don't like it enough though to not wish it was coffee. I suspect that the right tea might get me there, but there is just so many options and I'm such a novice I don't know where to start. I have tried twinnings gunpowder as well as adagios gunpowder, and liked them better than bagged versions. I brew the tea at 175 ish. Is there anything I am missing, or do I just prefer coffee? I want to fall in love with tea, and love the relaxing quality it has on me, I just haven't yet. Any suggestions on what to try? I will add I am on a budget and cannot afford Japanese gyokura or anything like that. I just am looking for a simple everyday sipper. Thoughts?

T.H.Cone and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

Twining's English Breakfast tea is pretty full flavored and you can get it in decaf.

Krs, T.H.Cone and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm not a real big tea drinker. I thought I hated both hot tea and iced tea for decades. One day I suddenly realized that I don't like my coffee with sugar, maybe I should try tea without sugar. Turns out I do like tea! I still choose coffee way more often, but I was amazed at how much sugar changed the flavor profile of my drinks

Cobra 6 Actual and T.H.Cone like this.
  4. Grinch

Grinch Banned

i have been trying tea lately as well so far earl gray tea is a good one i really want to try a hearty smoked flavor tea .

5. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I'm also a big coffee drinker, but occasionally like a nice cuppa Earl Grey tea. It has a sort of citrus flavor to it.

Two things I've learned:

1. Pre-heat your teapot by pouring plain boiling water in first. Throw that water out and then put 'fresh' boiled water in and your tea. Fool around with how long you let the leaves steep in the hot water: you may be making your tea too weak or too strong. And time how long you let the leaves steep; guessing leads to inconsistent results.

2. Buy a Yixing China teapot. This porous reddish-purple clay pot will absorb your tea over time, adding complexity to the result (always use the same kind of tea though and only rinse the pot out with plain water -- no soap). Here's what these teapots look like:

[​IMG]
    Stock photo

Supposedly over time the Yixing teapot will have absorbed so much tea that you'll be able to make tea without leaves. Don't know if this is myth or fact, but I have a 20 year old Yixing teapot and it ain't happened yet.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Dec 6, 2015
    keith1234, Viper101, Cheeser and 4 others like this.
  6. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

Buy GOOD tea...it's part of the secret.
    I became a tea lover after visiting China a couple of times.
    My favorite is Jasmine Pearl Tea.

Krs, kikissabiz, Viper101 and 2 others like this.
  7. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I like my coffee black but I like hot tea with some 2% milk and sugar. I've never gotten into loose leaf, just Twinings and Typhoo bagged tea, pour hot water over, steep for 3 minutes, remove the bags, add milk and sugar, drink. I don't like iced tea.

Twinings English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, and Earl Grey are my favorites in general. These are all black teas and contain caffeine.

Sharaz_Jek, kertap75 and T.H.Cone like this.
  8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

No advice from me- I'm an unsophisticated savage who thinks Lipton is just fine- but I did want to wish you well with whatever prompted the doctor to to say, "No coffee."

9. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I drink tea as a rule, the only coffee I have is a full bodied sweet espresso. Traditional British tea has a lot of good antioxidants and other healthy credentials. It also has tannins which provide the colour, some flavour and bitterness. The longer it's left to 'stew' it'll be healthy but bitter. This bitterness can be offset by milk or sugar, find a mix that suits. If making a single cup, milk in first, if making tea in a pot milk in last. White sugar is fine, milk I like anything but UHT or dried. In the navy a traditional brew is NATO, milk with two sugar and brewed strong. If its strong I like it sweet. If I make tea for myself I like it weak and milky. This is only for regular British tea, Lipton, whittards, English breakfast type tea though. Any other type of tea, pass.

10. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Do your homework. Some teas require boiling water but for some (green teas among others) boiling water is too hot. Steeping times vary as well. A few minutes to see how strong your Google-fu is can be worth it. I promise it won't turn you into a hipster.

And yes some teas do have caffeine, even a bit left in some decaffeinated teas.

I went to the vet with some friends. They always say I'm a sick puppy.

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  11. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Is just switching to decaf not an option? I know tea has less caffeine than coffee but it still has
    some.

Other than that, I don't have any tips to offer. I love iced tea but can't stand it hot, I've tried
    every steeping tip I've been told about but not one has helped.

12. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

My (nothing more than a) guess as to why some people can't have coffee is more than that caffeine can raise blood pressure. That's not just bad for hearts but also a lot of other reasons. Caffeine can even play with blood glucose levels or so I've heard.

Coffee also has acids that can cause stomach or other G.I. problems or make them worse.

I went to the vet with some friends. They always say I'm a sick puppy.

13. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

earl grey is great I use twinings mostly but when I can afford it there's an organic loose leaf brand I buy that i cant remember the name of.

the thing with it is tea is not coffee i like both but if i want one the other will not do

14. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

It is, but I don't like it... To me it's not worth it to drink mediocre decaf. I also don't love the chemical process it goes through to strip the caffiene. I don't want to go into detail about the health issues, but I am a very healthy young male, I'm just really sensitive to caffiene, and tea has a lot less as well as L-theanine, which has a calming effect that really helps.

15. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

I gues I'm looking for advice on where to get this and what is "good". I tried some jasmine pearl, and jasmine is not for me. I'm also not a fan of black tea and prefer green. I like the gunpowder ok, just not in love.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  16. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Dude, there is no real secret to good coffee or tea but I'll help you anyway! ;)

[​IMG][/URL]

Cobra 6 Actual and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  17. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

stay away from oolong smells like old feet in my opinion

Check out davidson's organic tea, their earl grey is great, i also like their peppermint tea which i like to mix with green tea :hungry:

if you're looking to try some blends Teavana makes some interesting things and if you have one of their stores near by you can actually go in and get samples.

many companies offer sample packs as well if you are looking to try some different things

18. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I like Teavana also. If you can find one of their stores, they usually have free taste tests.

19. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

These are good in coffee occasionally, but you put them in tea!?!?!?

20. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

One further comment on Brit tea, use boiling water. I don't know what it is in N America but some places struggle to get hot enough water, this means the tea doesn't brew well. Your milk is a bit weird too, when I've added milk when across there it seems to form a small bit of foam. I've never seen that anywhere else outside N America.