1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Kerambit (A bit of a read)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by baconboyrlz, Mar 28, 2015.

1. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

baconboyrlz Loaded Pockets

So, today I had the pleasure of training with one of the top black belts (here in America) in Silat, a Malaysian martial art that specializes in more exotic weapons, but does also use hand and foot techniques. Today we trained with two types of weapon, the cindai (chin die) which is a loose weapon, and the kerambit, which is a knife with a talon like blade. Both of these weapons are considered feminine weapons, not because they were only used by women, but because they are easy to conceal, or are unassuming, while masculine weapons are more like swords.

Now, onto the kerambit and what I took away from it. The kerambit, like most weapons, was origanlly a tool that became a weapon after multiple invasions from other countries around Malaysia. The original purpose of the kerambit was to score the green husks of coconuts so that it could be easily peeled off by hand. As the kerambit became more "weaponized" the about 2 in. Blade became double-edged so that one could cut on the push and the pull. Because of the versatility of the blade, the movements with it are very fluid and smooth so that one gets as many cuts while moving down the body. During the training I asked what the major target areas were, the majority of which are fleshy or bendy bits which consist of the more accessible arteries, inside the elbow, behind the knee, the neck, the face, tendons, especially the achilles tendon, just below the sternum and hooking the blade, and the same technique just above the tailbone to sever the spinal cord. As you can see, this weapon is extremely devastating when one knows which areas to strike. Due to the nature of the knife's handle with the ring which one puts their pointer finger through, you are able to "extend" the knife by releasing the knife and flipping it so that the knife comes out at about a 30 degree angle from the top of your fist, towards the opponent. With this added length, you are able to more or less sneak the blade further, and in this configuration the blade is used to hook upwards and pull, so the strike areas would most commonly be the armpit, under the chin, and the insides of the thighes.

However, in Silat, the kerambit was used as a last ditch weapon, and only used to defend one's life, if de-escalation doesn't work.

The weapon can also be spelled karambit, but that is the Indonesian and Philippino spelling. I hope you enjoy what I have to share with you all!

2. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I just love the blade shape so different than other shapes.

3. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Excellent! Great read.

I've always liked the hawkbill/talon, karambit style blades. Useful, dangerous, and totally 'different' as sparky said.

4. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

Thank you for this! I learned a lot about K-Bits today.

5. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

The more you know..... Thanks for that info, it is alway cool to learn the reasons behind shapes and styles of blades tools etc.

6. johnny five

johnny five Loaded Pockets

Pretty cool I have never been a fan of this blade style but very interesting read Thanks for sharing

7. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

Very cool! I've been thinking about getting some martial art classes for next year :rolleyes:

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

During the early 60s, I spent quite a bit of time in the Far East when my late father was stationed there at various US Naval installations. I got to train in various martial methods. Among those are Silat & Arnis/Escrima/Kali, & Kendo. These were the most joyous years of my youth as I acquired a deep appreciation of the "Art of the Blade."

During that period and in the areas that we lived, the karambit was considered a "punk's" blade by my Kendo master since it was often concealed. The Pilipinos (this is the correct spelling) just thumbed their noses up to this opinion and often challenged the Kendo practitioner's to an up-close, almost intimate sparring session fully knowing that the typically 25-inch katana would be difficult to deploy when the Silat warrior is already close enough to see the opponent's nose hairs. Kendo students often declined.

Many civilians are attracted to the unique blade shape. The karambit is a super-aggressive, deadly-looking blade and is unlawful in many jurisdictions throughout the US. In its modern iteration in the US, law enforcement largely sees only the weapon aspect of this device.

As a practitioner of Silat, I know of this blade type's capability to quickly impart massive tissue destruction and severe, potentially deadly blood loss. As part of my personal self-defense philosophy, I will draw my handgun first, then an issue a warning to drop it at anyone within 21 feet of me that aggessively brandishes this knife type.

9. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Seems appropriate for me, then. :p Maybe hal_chase too. Sparky is going to need to get some mohawk advice from the Cave Dweller.

10. Navitimer1884

Navitimer1884 Empty Pockets

Very cool read and interesting background. Thanks for sharing!

11. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I am not cutting my hair into a Mohawk.

12. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

And mine isn't in one already ManVsLawn ;)

Transmitted by Droid using Crapatalk

13. johnny five

johnny five Loaded Pockets

Come on live a little ..dye it red :)

GiraffeHooves, Brtsmpsn, 0dBm and 4 others like this.
  14. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's pink now according to batteur and ManVsLawn :-p

Transmitted by Droid using Crapatalk

15. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

When I see any man over 30 with a Mohawk or other weird hair cut, I just say to my self "What are you 12". Yes I'm a :censored: old guy!!:p

16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Iridescent cobalt blue with a pink stripe!:p

hal_chase, vegassprky and Brtsmpsn like this.
  17. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

That moment you find a karambit you like and it is hard to find for a decent price or even in stock... :cry:
    [​IMG]

18. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

They are a fascinating knife for sure. I've considered getting a fixed karambit, I'd want both edges to be sharp so that means I could never carry it anywhere. I'm tempted to get an Emerson folder once I have nothing else on a buy list. If I ever happen across a trainer I'd buy one for sure just to mess with.

There was another karambit thread going on recently with some links to videos etc. I like to look on YouTube a few times a year for new ones.

The Raid 2 had some good karambit fight scenes in it if you like awesomely bad movies.

Brtsmpsn, baconboyrlz and vegassprky like this.
  19. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yeah, I know there is the folding karambit thread as well, but this is more of a general thread, I guess. I like Fox folding karambit over the emerson one though, I don't know why, maybe price point. I will have to look into that movie as well.

20. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

Okay! My trainer came in, so here are some pics of it, and the traditional way of holding the kerambit, and the extended position. (Ignore the line of knives:D)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]