1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The iOS update, iO8

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by SAKplumber, Sep 18, 2014.

1. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Just to make it clear I am not an Apple hater. I've been able to make a career based upon using Windows OS and office applications, like 80 to 90% of all businesses. For a number of years I taught coprorate users how use several of Microsoft Offices applications. You would be surprised at how many people cannot build a table in Word, or when they try to do that create a concoction of tabs, spaces and other characters that allow them to have something that looks like a table but is not one.

Back to Apple. I'm in a family where a number of relatives are big Apple fans and often early apdopters. Well one can do such if you have the right income.
    OTOH most of us have to budget carefully and need products that work and don't give a darn about the coolness factor or whether one is a tech leader. I simply do not have the time, resources or interest in being such.

Microsoft products work, not always perfectly, but they work, more or less like I do.

The latest iPhone 6/6+ saga is getting funny. Consider what happen to this Aussie.

Now there is bendgate or bendygate regarding the iPhone. I have never put my smartphone in my back pocket. I know quite well that I would most likely break the phone. It appears many do put a smartphone in the back pocket and that most smartphonew, particularly with metal frames, will bend. It appears that iPhone 6 do not take well to bending, and that the iPhone 6+ fairs slightly better.

Ham handed me is thankful for my Otterbox Defender protecting a Galaxy Note 2 from my clumisness.

vegassprky likes this.
  2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I prefer the "Bendghazi" moniker I've seen floating around...

thePlumbah likes this.
  3. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

The issue has been with the iPhone 6 Plus not the smaller 6, since the size is so large. I think its hilarious, and the local news media has been making jokes around here. I always laugh (Inside) when someone I know shows me a cracked screen on there "naked" phone. I know these devices look and feel better without a protective case, but I have dropped my phone multiple times.

For those of you that have phones in your pocket, you can feel those times when bending over, the stress on your thigh/hip where the phone is digging in. I was warming up a Pitcher (Baseball) the other night with a phone in my pocket, immediately felt the pressure, so re-oriented the phone sideways. No doubt if it was an iPhone 6 Plus or galaxy s5, its possible it would bend or crack if not removed.

There are many laws that can be broken, but the laws of physics are the ones that people like you and me can’t actually break. Even though science wasn’t my forte during my school years, I learned that if you apply a certain amount of force to any material, it will start changing shape, bend, and eventually break. To my knowledge, this applies to any material, but I could be wrong. It certainly applies to aluminum and glass, two very visible elements that make your iPhone.

Im like many of you, I value the money I spend and try my best to protect my investment. I don't consider Phones disposable so I always have a Lifeproof case the day I purchase. In fact, I'm in no hurry to get the iPhone 6 since there are so few choices of protective cases right now.

Bendghazi!!!! Just awesome...

Last edited by K2-Kevin, Sep 25, 2014
    reppans, vegassprky and dml24 like this.
  4. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Apple has had a tough week... Bendghazi, and iOS update fails. Apple deserves all the bad press, yet still sold a record number of devices. There will always be some issue with every Apple Release that makes news, it's par for the course... when you are #1.

ScratchGate
    GlassGate
    AntennaeGate
    BendGate

Apple just Laughs all the way to the BankGate. Did I miss a "gate"?

Not picking on Apple, Samsung had CameraGate, NoScreenGate, BatteryGate... Microsoft had BillGates too

5. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

This has to go into the the "Very Successful Dark PR" folder.

CNBC says 9 (nine) iPhones 6's were reported to Apple as being bent (FYI, over 11 million have been sold). I wonder how many of that 9 were from the 20 youtube videos Ive seen where someone trys to bend the phone.

vegassprky and Gwac110 like this.
  6. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

It wouldn't matter to me if I had an iPhone, or my current android device. Due to my current employment, and my ability to drop expensive things, my personal, pocketable electronics are always in a case. My current phone, a beautiful blue HTC M7, was put in an Otterbox case prior to leaving the store. It still resides there one year later. If/when I purchase an iPhone, it will do the same. The $60 it cost to buy the case was worth the expense, 20 times over, which is about how many times I've drop kicked my phone across the room while walking.:)

7. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I love the idea of having a naked phone, but I just don't think its a viable option these days. Especially with the majority of companies using "premium" materials - I.e. metal or a premium hard plastic, they're just way too slippery. I've had experience with many different iPhones and the htc one m8, and this was the case with all.

8. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Me too... they look so nice, feel so thin and light. But once I put on a Lifeproof or oterbox, they change. Suddenly I don't mind tossing it on the table or in my pocket.

9. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

So walking and talking are difficult for you? Don't blame me, you said it first. hahahahaha

thePlumbah and cowsmilk like this.
  10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

More like walking and surfing.:)

vegassprky likes this.
  11. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Do walls and noses come into play when you do this?

12. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nope, just the dropsies.:)

dml24 and vegassprky like this.
  13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Cell phone cases:
    I carried a naked iPhone 3 and 3G for years without incident (but in a belt case, not my pocket). The first day I had an iPhone 4 (slicker and heavier), I dropped it and shattered the back. I currently have an iPhone 5 and won't carry it without a case. Most of the time, I just use a Magpul case, but it gives me enough grip to hold onto the phone and a little bit of drop protection.

iOS systems:
    I generally drag my feet when the upgrade involves a major change in the format. I like to give the software developers time to iron out glitches and see what settings I will need to change.

Apple vs. Android vs. Windows:
    They all have minor pros and cons. It's just a matter of preference. The new iPhones do look more like an Android phone, though...

14. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Oops again, there goes another $300 smartphone.

Yep, been there done that, ouch!:frantic:

cowsmilk likes this.
  15. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

8.0.2 pushed out... Not noticing any issues yet.

16. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I saw a report today. Apparently the owners are bending the phones wrong. When apple bend tested the 6 plus there weren't issues. So it's the fault of the buyers doing it wrong

Mazinkaiser likes this.
  17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Went for it on the iPad. Forgot about it:rolleyes: Need to do the phone.

18. Chubbs4U

Chubbs4U Loaded Pockets

Cant wait for my new phone, maybe it will work properly at that point.

19. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Wife updated her 5s with 8.0.2, works great, no issues.

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I updated this weekend to 8.0 and then 8.0.2 - you apparently have to do the updates one at a time.

Features that I like:
    • quick access to recent contacts: they appear along the top after a double-tap on the home button
    • new voice dictation: the words appear as you dictate
    • voice dictation correction: if you touch a phrase from voice dictation, it gives similar suggestions
    Features that I dislike:
    • placement of the emoticon button: the button is placed very prominently and is not something I use frequently. In fact, it's placed right next to the dictation button which I use a lot. I end up hitting the emoticon button about 25% of the time. It's irritating.
    I'm still getting used to the "auto-complete" function for texting, and it usually doesn't provide the right word until I've almost finished typing the word. I'm not sure in which list it would fall.

thePlumbah likes this.