1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Invisible Stick

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by greenmountainbooks, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Yablanowitz
    • +2 Supporter

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Actually, a concealed high capacity big bore handgun is legal to carry where I am. A stick, even if it can shatter cinderblocks (not that hard to do), is no big deal. Yes, I have carried my Glock 20 in and out of both our Post Office and our county courthouse, more than once. Like I said, I'm happy Iive out here and not there. I'm not a big fan of people, and the more of them there are in a given area, the faster they seem to lose their collective mind.

2. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

We (wife and I) have two homes (at least until the VT house sells). In neither VT nor MA could I get away with carrying a legally owned handgun into a courthouse. Every post office and SS office I have been in for 20 years posts a warning against possessing weapons of any kind. I just do not see myself regularly in threat enough to justify the carrying when there are so many issues.
    PS, I cannot even take my trauma shears into a courthouse let alone a gun. And the shears are pretty much proof against being used to hurt anyone.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

It is! Completely and utterly preposterous!

Unfortunately, in some municipalities, it is also called legislation.

greenmountainbooks likes this.
  4. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

So, are you saying it isn't a felony to bring that pistol into the PO or courthouse where you live? Or are you just disregarding the federal laws?

0dBm likes this.
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I was just about to ask that same question.

Holliday likes this.
  6. greenmountainbooks

Yes, sadly so. I do not know why people deny the fact that most self defense will be prosecuted, especially if it involves an improvised weapon. The concept of a "loaded cane" is not mine, it is found in the NY criminal statutes as well as MA. I am told most other states also prohibit such and indeed, why would they not? A "loaded" stick was a common thug weapon in Victorian times. Kubotans are specifically prohibited in NY.
    Knives? Yes, you can carry a legal pocket knife but once you use it, consider the following scenario: the scene is a courtroom, the speaker the District Attorney, "Ladies and gentlemen, this deadly. razor sharp weapon was drawn and thrust...into the body of this kind, gentle....causing him to have 100 stiches...." You get it. And do not think it would not happen. If you have ever been on a jury, you would know it will happen. If you are really lucky, your assailant will be a career criminal and maybe you can go directly to round two, civil court.
    If you failed to be convicted of multiple felonies, then would come the second round of civil suits from the "victim" or his family. If he is a member of a minority, then guess what? You become a murderous bigot. What are your chances then?

0dBm and baccar-3 like this.
  7. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Another scenario; you're carrying in a place that's illegal; a deranged maniac comes in with a rifle on full automatic; you take it out with a double tap from your .38 and save many lives---would the authorities have enough common sense to thank you?

8. greenmountainbooks

Well, I know the answer. I recently completed training in the EMS portion of the new nation-wide active shooter protocols. The short answer is that you would be lucky to survive. You would be seen as a second shooter, perhaps even if the weapon were nearby and not on your person. If you had it in your hand, you are dead, period.
    If you survive, you are still a criminal possessed of a weapon; that will get you at least five years, plus illegal discharge (yes, do not ask, it happens. So does "discharge within a city limit.") If it is a school, that that is a second or third charge, maybe a fourth. Do not expect to be hailed as a hero.
    I just saw the film "Sully" based on the memoirs of Sullenburger, the pilot who landed his plane in the Hudson. He was very nearly crucified and that with a powerful union defending him. The press may have hailed him as a hero, aviation authorities and the airline regarded him as incompetent and a danger to passengers.
    How do you think a shooter would make out?

baccar-3 likes this.
  9. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Very, Very True. CCW is definitely not a game.
    Thank-You.

10. greenmountainbooks

Waxwood staves are available on Amazon. The quality seems to vary widely according to the seller and which piece of wood was pulled from the stack for shipping. Most long shafts will warp with time, especially if stacked leaning in a corner. I have straightened warped wood products by suspending from one end for a period of time, months for a badly warped piece of wood.

11. greenmountainbooks

You can get them on Amazon. Quality appears to vary.

12. greenmountainbooks

After shifting your grip, look the potential threat directly in the eye and frown (i.e. glare). I once had subway platforms in NYC empty around me. The potential malefactors herded to the opposite end of the platform. Other people did likewise, which was not intended, but no incident ensued.