1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The "IDEAL" Multitool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by DrekThanos, Apr 2, 2010.

1. DrekThanos

DrekThanos Loaded Pockets

For a while now, I've been on a quest, to find an ideal multi-tool.
    This first requires that I establish the ideal multi-tool, and that is where I wanted some feedback from all the EDC'ers here.
    IMHO, an ideal multi-tool would look something like this:
    Centered, clip point, plain-edge Locking knife blade
    Skeletonized Handle
    Needle Nose pliers with spring assist
    Scissors with spring assist
    can opener

I have used the Leatherman Skeletool, and found that I simply could not stand the offset blade. The Zilla tool from CRKT has a similar issue. Also, semi-serrated blades drive me up the wall. The point on the blade where I can apply the most force is serrated, thus, problematic. The Mike Horn Ranger from Wenger is amazingly cool, but the saw and not the knife blade locks, and the thing is an amazingly heft 1.25" across. So, I'm back at square one

So, tell me what you think! Did I miss something, or is this really all you need to keep the tool light, small, and functional? What tool can I adapt to serve my requests? Do you want this knife as much as I want?

2. bobrip

bobrip Loaded Pockets

Ideal of course is in the eye of the user. Ten years from now we may see huge advances and wonder how we could be so pleased with what we now have. However, I suspect that we are near that peak and new improvements will not really make a lot of difference in my satisfaction. I would like the same or even more functionality as a Surge with much lighter weight and smaller size.

3. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

I think that current multi-tools are no where near ideal. Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with my tools but there is still a lot of room for improvement. I think that as certain manufacturing processes continue to improve, we'll see a gradual increase in functionality.

4. Ofir_ISR

Ofir_ISR Loaded Pockets

a leatherman juice kf4 with scissors instead of sserated blade, a bit driver instead of the phillips driver, and instead of the other screwdrivers- a classic leatherman can opener and small bit driver. in addition it can have some extra features such as removable wire cutters (like the super tool 300) and tweezers/ toothpick in the handles like a SAK.

i think this tool can actually be made (by modding a kf4), but the extra features are just a dream.... too bad they dont make the KF4 anymore.....

5. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have a collection of multi-tools. Used primarily as pliers and then screw drivers (The reason why I like Gerbers and the Zilla). The knives are of little interest to me. I prefer to always have a knife of better quality than I have ever seen on a multi-tool.

6. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I am really a fan of the Skeletool. It is my regular "work around the house" EDC, saving me a trip to the basement for all sorts of tools. If it had a pair of scissors in addition to its regular tool complement I'd be all set. I have to say that as fan of plain edge tools, I thought I'd love a PE version of the CX blade, but I have used the knife for all sorts of rough cutting and having a bit of serration has helped. It makes cutting rope and twine much eaiser and is great for sawing through foam-type insulation.

7. DrekThanos

Rawls, you make a good point with the desire for a semi-serrated edge. I guess I'm more turned off by the shortness of the blade. At 2.6", that serration eats a lot of my viable leverage.
    Perhaps transposing the serration and plain edge would be closer to ideal. Contemplate and let me know.

ADNJ, that's a lot of the reason I posed the question. I carry an iphone, or other smart phone for the same reason I want an "ideal" multi-tool. When one will suffice, why carry two?
    If the blade strength and functionality were improved, don't you think you'd find yourself carrying the knife less and less?

Ofir, I am on the same page with you as far as the Juice line goes. That's closer to what I've been looking for. Otoh, the lack of a locking blade is discouraging. I'll add that to my OP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the layered approach to problems. But I'd really prefer to keep the tool on my person to the minimal possible weight with the maximum possible utility, as well as the one in my bag...

8. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Well I don't think there will ever be an ideal MT because every person is different and every situation is different and our needs are continuously varying .

In my "travel kit" I have put two multitools ( each with a different plier head configuration, and slightly different components ) AND a seperate screwdriver AND a slipjoint pliers. Why ? 'cause there is no one tool that can do everything you may need. For example, I was once in a hotel/motel whatever, and the cell phone charger adapter broke while it was in the electric outlet. NO mutitool pliers can be used because they are not insulated. So, I pulled it out using the long nose INSULATED pliers I had.

Having said that , in a biz trip I made a decade ago, a simple non-plier MT worked fine because I only needed the bottle opener.

9. Golden

Golden Loaded Pockets

I wish they would make a surge with S30V blades, the line cutter on the end of the sheepsfoot serrated blade, and the plier head of the super tool 300 (in black). It would be the GODtool.

10. edd666666

edd666666 Loaded Pockets

I don't know how they could do it, but I would like to see a hammer head on a tool along the line of the pliers made for use on fencing with a hammer function built in. I find I need the hammer function a lot. Also I wish they would take the knife function out, almost everyone who buys a mulittool has a much better knife that they carry and the knife on a mulitool just isn't used. I hope the designers are reading this thread, but I guess they market to the general public, not to people that really use the stuff.

11. Ofir_ISR

Ofir_ISR Loaded Pockets

edd, i don't think that most of the people who carry a multitool have a better knife than the one in the multitool.
    in Israel you cannot carry a knife unless it's on a multi-tool (or unless you have a special reason for carrying one, and the knife is made for that reason).
    and i'm sure it's the same in other countries (not the law itself, but law restriction on knives in general).

12. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

It may be true that many who subscribe to this forum carry knives in addition to multitools, but in the general public, most users carry a multitool instead of a dedicated knife. Buck 110s or similar that years ago were commonly seen on the belts of working folks have been almost entirely replaced by multitools, also true in the military. Except for knifey guys, most people are good with anything reasonably sharp, and any of currently available M-T blades will do. Some, such as the S30v and 154CM blades offered on Leatherman Charge and Skeletool models, give up little if anything compared to quality folders. A knife enthusiast might appreciate the differences, but I can assure you that most people, even those who work with knives daily, couldn't care less. The arithmetic is simple; why carry 2 when you can get by with 1?

13. gregorovius

gregorovius Empty Pockets

This, with a corkscrew and locking blade, would be close to my ideal multitool. I don't understand why the Juice line has so many different screwdriver implements instead of the removable bit driver. I'm actually hoping for something like the Skeletool mixed with the Juice line (specially the scissors and corkscrew), but with a saw and diamond file, like the Charge.

14. Ofir_ISR

Ofir_ISR Loaded Pockets

i hate carrying tools that are meant for a specific goal. there is no other use for corkscrew than opening wine bottles, and even that can be done without a corkscrew.
    i mean- how many times do you drink wine? once/ twice a week? usually you will have a corkscrew, where there are wine bottles there are corkscrews, and if someone carryied with him a wine bottle there is not problem to take with him a corkscrew. so lets say you get into a situation where you want to open a bottle of wine and there is no corkscrew - what are the odds of that? and, you can still open that wine bottle without a corkscrew (i personally know 3 methods).

you are right about the locking blade, it's an importent function.

15. DrekThanos

I have to agree with the assessment that not all people have a separate knife in their EDC. I do, but only because I'm dissatisfied with MT knives. As far as corkscrew goes, its a clincher to have that on hand when you suddenly realize you need one. I'm not a fan of wine, but I love coming through in a pinch. Always makes you look like a super hero.

I'm starting to agree with the KF4 modification, but I'm still insistent on a locking knife blade centered on the exterior of the tool. I've got a couple of ways I'm trying to design this in, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

Glad this is drawing some discussion =)

16. gregorovius

gregorovius Empty Pockets

If I knew a way to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew, I wouldn't need one. I've tried the shoe method and it didn't work, and even if it did, it was too loud and uncomfortable. I can do with a screw and pliers, but that's the same as carrying a corkscrew. And I've seen once how trying to push the cork inside ended up in a broken wine bottle. Care to share your methods? I can't say I use it everyday, but my SAK has a corkscrew and I've used it a lot of times during these years.

17. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

I am very satisfied with my LM Juice S2, but if I could have it I would want the same tool, but made by Victorinox (IMHO a far better manufacturing quality), have them add some SAK style tweezers into the scales and use a SAK style can opener (the one on my Juice just does not work).

LM fans, please don't get me wrong, I really like LM tools but if I compare my S2 to the SAKs that I own I have to admit that the SAKs have a higher manufacturing standard, e.g. better fitting of the scales, nicely polished tools, etc.

18. Ofir_ISR

Ofir_ISR Loaded Pockets

the most reliable one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rafqCGfVj2I obliviously you can do it without a phonebook, just make sure you wont break the bottle, i use a towel or even wrap the bottom of the bottle with my shirt.

never tried it, but im sure it will work for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYMd52D4QzY notice how he wiggle the knife to reduce the force applied on the cork, and how he pulls it with a rotation of the knife.

you can file a little bit of the neck of the bottle right under the cork and then smack it off (just file few millimeters into the glass, then hit it).

or you can always to the lame-but-gets-the-job-done method of pushing the cork into the bottle itself (you will spill some wine however).

sure a designated tool is the most convenient method, but if you can get the same result without carrying a designated tool then you really dont need it in a multitool. it would be like having both a needle nose pliers and a designated cutter on a multitool.

19. thiescea

thiescea Loaded Pockets

the ideal multitool is fully customizable