1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The "How I Cut Off My Pinkie" story

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by S33T, Oct 18, 2013.

1. S33T

S33T Loaded Pockets

Lol yeah; I have girly hands

rsitter likes this.
  2. TheBoyScout22
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheBoyScout22 Loaded Pockets

I did something similar last Christmas. I had just received an izula neck knife, sharpened it up and then put it back in the sheath. A few hours later I went to take it out of the sheath and had my index finger right in the blades path. It didn't count it off bit I cut almost every nerve I have no feeling on most parts and minimal feeling in others. I learned to always pay very close attention when using knives.

The stitches

[​IMG]

After the stitches were removed and it split back open

[​IMG]

Ill post pics of it now later. When I have something other than my iPad to take the pic with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rsitter and S33T like this.
  3. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

Eeek that sounds bad, hope you'll recover

Küldve az én iPad-ről Tapatalk használatával

4. doc_agrav

doc_agrav Loaded Pockets

Yikes!! Looks like you might want to consider a cat tq to add to your edc! And I love your avatar from a fellow brad new fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Btdt, didnt completely lop the thing off, but put a good notch in the bone of my left index finger.

Still have very little feeling and limited range of motion, but it taught me to be careful with sharp things.

6. deltic55000

deltic55000 Loaded Pockets

Had a similar experience (but worse) interesting how there was not much pain, and how the body reacts by going into shock. I remember seeing my cut-up hand and thinking 'I'll just finish the job, then pop down the hospital later', did'nt get to finish the job though. The only pain was after the plastic surgery when anaesthetic wore off, they gave me morphine which was a weird experience, but certainly worked.
    My general rule now is 'if you can see your own bones, it's not good'

There's no glory in these injuries as they can affect you for the rest of your life.

7. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Considering the number of staggeringly stupid things I got up to as a kid - including, would you believe, standing over a pile of starter pistol caps and dropping a big rock on them (I was deaf for hours afterwards) - I have never lost any bits of me. Years of working with scalpels, microtome blades and so on and only one knife cut to a finger caused by someone else distracting me at in inopportune time. Actually, I think I have a bit of a special relationship with blades. I have no real skills with them but they never seem to turn on me either. I even practice MA with a very sharp functional sword. I shudder to think of the consequences of a misstep with that in hand. I quote the preface from the excellent book on Chinese swordsmanship by Master Scott Rodell:

"The practice of swordsmanship, like any other martial art, is itself a dangerous activity. You can absolutely expect to be injured, perhaps seriously, in the course of study and practice."

Not mincing any words there that's for sure!

Anyway, back in the normal world of people: on my first day in ED, my first patient was a flooring layer who had placed a hand on a carpet tile and then proceeded to cut the tile toward himself with a carpet knife. Needless to say the knife slipped and he ran the blade straight up between his forefinger and thumb and about 6 inches further up his wrist. I assisted in stitching him up (talk about deep end for noobs) and he seem unperturbed about it all - didn't even want any local anaesthetic.

I stepped away from the cubicle, wandered into the waiting room to see what was next only to be confronted by a woman who had somehow managed to ram a screwdriver through her hand! Turns out she was using for something other than its intended purpose, like an ice pick.

It was a fun day.

So. No knife cuts for me. On the other hand, every other sharpened thing in the world seems out to get me!

8. happykal

happykal Loaded Pockets

I cut the tip of my middle finger off once. Big metal shear that uses your weight to cut sheet metal for doing body work on cars. I needed a 1" strip about the length of the car door. The Metal kept wanting to move because I was cutting it off a 3" wide strip. The guard has gaps in it so you can see and get a precise cut. So frustrated and in a hurry I pressed down hard with my left hand and jumped on the foot petal. :censored: I just broke my finger I though then looked at the end and went oh....the tip was missing and the end pinched almost shut. Cold presser cut Doc called it. Any way I bent over picked up the tip and went to find the shop supervisor. Held up my hand up and went umm I cut my finger off. "What the :censored: did you do!?" They handed the tip to a guy to put in snow and he almost went over. I went inside sat down at a table and was fine then looked at the end of my finger which was now poring blood and instant my head was that underwater feeling. "Some one catch me cause I'm going over." was the last thing I said before I lost most motor function trying not to black out. Buddy of mine helped me down, elevated my feet and then we bandaged up my hand. I got my bearings again and I got picked up and brought to the hospital. They sowed it back on. I just "grazed the bone" said the Doc. I honestly wish they didnt sow it back on. Just bothers the heck out of me. Oh did I mention that was in shop class in my last year of highschool. lol For me any serious injury isnt the worst part its fight off shock. I hate that underwater ear ringing feeling where you can see black starting to form and you get tunnel vision. I know now to immediately elevate my feet.

9. VoodooChicken

VoodooChicken Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you handled things....
    [​IMG]
    I would have soiled myself and pass out on the spot.Possibly not in that order.

10. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

You have some crazy stories bro.