1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The "HIGO"...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Daywalker, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

I don't know well but it seems that XL and mini models don't have a cutout.

By the way you guys can see some pictures that Mr. Motosuke Nagao(the manufacturer of higonokami) works on forging. Google "ehamono nagao".;)

2. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Yeah the Amazon listing that I bought mine from has some of those pics, but I also wondered if people just steal those pics and use them to sell the knives.

Can you tell us anything about where the steels are sourced from? Does it start with sheet steel and then bend and hammer it or is he starting with billets?

Nekolf likes this.
  3. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

I have heard the steel material of higonokami is made by Hitachi Metals, Ltd. Were you able to see "ehamono nagao"? You would find this picture.
    [​IMG]
    According to the statement, that sheet steel is composite of a sandwiched blue steel between soft irons.

Oh by the way, a literal translation of "青紙 (Aogami)" is blue paper. The name of the blue steel comes from that the color of the blue steel is not blue but also a piece of blue paper was attached to that sheet steel.

4. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I got mine today via UPS (didn't even know they ran on Sundsay). It's a very interesting knife. Most of the time when you think of a hand made custom knife, you think of flawless fit and finish, but that's not what this knife is about. No doubt, the point of a knife like this is to get the job done as inexpensively as possible, and it does a great job of that. Because of that, the fit and finish is pretty rough, but it's rough in all the right ways. On mine, you can still see some of the blued steel where the knife was forged, and the grind marks are still visible in the spine and around the pivot. It's easy to see how someone who's used to mass production folders would consider this knife to be poorly made and cobbled together, and that wouldn't necessarily be false. At the same time, that's exactly what gives these knives their character and charm.

Anyway, on to pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

Evil D, congratulations on your first Higonokami!

As you said, the finish of Higonokami is very rough. Many families here had used them several decades ago because they were very cheap, durable, and cut well. There was an negative campaign not to give children a knife in 60s...many higo craftsmen disappeared. Unfortunately, many general people here have a very bad impression against all sorts of knife. Therefore, nowadays only some Higo lovers use them.

Last edited by Nekolf, Feb 21, 2016
    Adahn likes this.
  6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

The finish is rough, that's ok on this knife.
    What's not ok is that they still didn't do anything against the fact that the blade hits the handle at the inside making the middle of the blade dull. It wouldn't take so much to leave a bit more ricasso and a bit more of the brass handle to create an in-built stopper or to insert a stop pin...

Nekolf likes this.
  7. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Yeah, a stop pin or ricasso would definitely be an improvement. I just cut a thin strip of leather and glued it into the spine of the handle. I'd prefer the blade doesn't touch anything, but this will at least be better than closing into brass. Photobucket is down at the moment but I'll upload a pic of what I did tomorrow.

Nekolf and Adahn like this.
  8. aliaspostmortem

aliaspostmortem Loaded Pockets

Just a photo of my three Higos...

[​IMG]

/ J

Lorenzo and Nekolf like this.
  9. aliaspostmortem

aliaspostmortem Loaded Pockets

"Higo No....Tip"

[​IMG]
    Medium sized Higo, a Nagao Kanekoma in blue steel

/ J

Nekolf likes this.
  10. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

Titanium scale Higonokami
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

First off, thanks, @Nekolf for reviving this thread. Nice knife there! I have enjoyed this thread and I own several traditional Higos. And, I know this is absolute heresy, not really a Higo any more, relatively expensive, and so on; but it's a really nice knife nonetheless:

[​IMG]
    (Stock Photo)

This is A.G. Russell's Higo Folder (I got the Black G10 & Damascus one at the bottom of the photo). It has "laminated steel with an AUS-8 core and seventeen layers of damascus on each side. The core is hardened to 57-58 Rc."

I think the intention was to start with a Higo and then go from there: the G10 scales, the damascus blade, the liner lock, 3-5/8" modified tanto blade, etc.

Not really interested in starting a 'flame war' about whether it is or is not a traditional Higo (as an aside, in my opinion, it is not), but as a guy who just likes knives, I like this one.

This company also makes another version of the Higo, also definitely non-traditional:

[​IMG]
    (Stock Photo)

Hey, some people just like to watch the world burn.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Jan 23, 2017
    #51 Cobra 6 Actual, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  12. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

Thank you for kind words, sir!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  13. shauz

shauz Loaded Pockets

Hi Nekolf,

Can you tell me where did you make this titanium higonokami purchase from ?

Many thanks!

14. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I must say I'm a bit surprised. That Ti Higonokami (or TiGonokami?) is looking nice but it seems to have the same problem as the other version, the blade hits the inside of the handle which makes it dull.

15. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

PM sent.

Yes, it is. The concept of Higonokami is cheap and sharp. They don't have any blade lock system and were made to reduce the costs, I guess.

Adahn likes this.
  16. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Well, the costs would be only some thinking and a very little change of the manufacturing.
    The simplest way would be to leave a little bit more of the ricasso right before the sharp area begins and a same little more material over the pivot on the (usually brass) handle. This way the ricasso could act as a blade stop.

The second best option is to add a simple stop pin, drill a hole through, add a pin (brass or the part of a steel nail), hammer it, your done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blade is not stainless, so I thought same simple steel is good enough for the pin as well.
    But yeah, brass would be nearly invisible.
    Took around 10 mins to do, in manufacturing that would be 30 seconds, ok, maybe a minute for a trainee.

My point is, do it as 100 years ago on the original version if you must but make it right on a much more expensive Ti version.

17. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

The simple stop pin looks working very well and to be effective. Also your sheath looks great!

As you said, probably it would be technically possible that the blade does not hit the inside of the handle. It's regarded as the 1890s that the production of Higonokami style knife began. They reduced the number of parts as much as possible, and made it tough and unbreakable. Why don't they improve that? Maybe it's due to a Higonokami tradition IMO.

Adahn likes this.
  18. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty bummed and need a little advice. After waiting for over a month and a half to receive it, I was informed that the shipper had lost my incoming Katsu Higonokami knife. And without asking, they have promised to refund my $ instead of resending the knife. I was REALLY looking forward to this knife. It is exactly what I am looking for in a new knife: size, blade shape, blade and scale materials, one-hand opening functionality. Price was also a factor, $45 is in budget. I'm tee'd up to repurchase this knife, but I'm not so sure I want to go through the hassle and waiting again. Do any of you sage Higo enthusiasts have an opinion on whether or not I should purchase this again? Do you know of a similar option out there? Thanks.
    [​IMG]

19. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I have one of the Katsu Higos. They're nice, but the lock is largely really unsafe when the knife is closed. Almost as dangerous as the original designs.

aasoverteakettle likes this.
  20. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

Does it flip open in your pocket?