1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The "HIGO"...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Daywalker, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha ALL,

So a few years ago, I saw a knife on "Wonder Woman's site" and bookmarked it. It was a very simple looking Japanese knife, no bells, no whistles. Price was good, and it got my, "Samurai bloodline" going!

Then I went through some "situations" that life can sometimes throw at you. Then "life" said, "Oh hang on, here comes the big one!" which I am dealing with at the moment. Long story short, I forgot about this Higo No Kami knife.

Few months back, I saw a pic of one posted here by flatblackcapo. I was NOT expecting to see that knife here. I started looking around at some, and noticed there were some that looked different from others. Knowing full well about "clones" running about, I messaged said member asking for his help on identifying a genuine Higo No Kami. So we got to talking story, and I guess the surest way that flatblackcapo would know that I did not buy a clone Higo Knife was to send me one!:eek:

Yep. He even made me a sheath for it out of a bicycle tire which I thought was pretty cool since I was a BMX'er/Dirt/Street/ Ramp rider back in the OLD days.:rolleyes:

This "Higo Knife" is all I expected it to be. Rustic and it's simple. The steel is amazing, reminds me of my old Anza file knives. I would love to mod mine like Adahn did, as when the knife is closed all the way, the edge hits the inside of the one piece, foldover brass handle. I am thinking of epoxying a small plastic piece at the blade kick since I am not as good at mods as Adahn is.:oops:

Without further ado, mahalo MUCH flatblackcapo aka HigoBro!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It will be interesting to see how this knife steel will hold up to HI climate. I don't see a problem as it is somewhat similar to Japan. Thanks to flatblackcapo I can now speak the language of "Higo Knife".:cool:

I know there are others here who have Higo's...post your pics, share your thoughts! I'll understand now that I own one.:cool:
    Be safe!

2. Ben Rubinstein

3. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Great knife and great story and a really cool sheath you got there but about my mod, that's really simple and it was one of the first knife mods I ever done. I'm don't come from a metal-working trade, I'm a simple (Orthopedic) Shoemaker, so leather is more my material.

Anyways, all you have to do is to mark the stop pin's place and hit it with a pointer, but careful, it's soft brass, then drill it on a drill press if you have one at hand. Take a nail that fits into the hole and cut it to the right size, put it in and peen it so it stays inside.
    Of course a brass pin would be nicer but I didn't have that and the non-stainless steel pin is matching is matching with the pinned pivot. Try it, it's simple!

[​IMG]

Maybe now I have to make a sheath for mine, of course made of leather like for my ChiLock.

[​IMG]

Lorenzo, JPHing, johnny five and 9 others like this.
  4. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Daywalker , you are welcome brother! I am glad it has a good home. I think it was meant to go to you because I had lost that knife for a good long while and soon as we started talking about Higos....BOOM! It pops up out of nowhere.
    Adahn , Nice mod on that Higo and I dig that slip sheath, that stitching is cleeeeean.

Here is a pic of a Higo with a blade shape that you don't see everyday. Sorry, I dont have a better pic of it by itself and I don't have the knife any longer.
    [​IMG]

5. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Mahalo Ben,

I think it was nice of flatblackcapo too! The Higo is alright...:p
    Hope all is well sir!

6. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Adahn sir...nope. Can't do it. I know the mod is a simple one, but with the way things have been for me lately...I dunno.
    Plus, the mod i was gonna do is easier to remove and won't really alter this gift from flatblackcapo.
    BTW, THAT is a great sheath you made! May have to render your services or buy it from you once things get better.
    Be safe!

7. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Yeah Mahalo flatblackcapo HigoBro! That is kinda odd ain't it? Thanks though, I really appreciate it brother.

That Higo in the pic...that's a "true" Higo? Wicked blade...maybe one of YOUR ancestors did it? You make some wicked blades yourself 3TUG!;)

johnny five, Nick4305, Nekolf and 4 others like this.
  8. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Know there are more Higo owners...hmmmm...wonder where they are?

9. fast

fast Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nearly missed the thread.
    The "burasu" Higo is probably my most carried EDC knife, I have it always on me as a secondary knife.
    It doesn't scare people if you're in a train or in the city and want to cut an apple or open sth vacuum sealed. Big plus. :D
    The other one I got gifted recently. Has no maker's mark on the blade, so no idea if it's a rip off or not.

10. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

You are definitely right, your mod is easier to make and removable, I just meant that everyone who can drill a hole into a wall can do this mod ;)

flatblackcapo Thank you, it's all hand stitched. At home actually, in front of the tv or computer.

For a knife like the TiLock I'd remove the clip the next time and get a (Ti?) sheath clip instead.
    Just would have to make a filler tab, maybe GITD or simple cf?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

To me the best thing is not the stitching though but the snap it makes when the knife glides in and gets pulled to it's final position. It's the 3rd sheeth I made in this technique, both parts are formed on a piece of EVA, the small one with the showside down. I just wish I ever took pictures of the sheath for my father-in-law, made for a gifted Wenger Ranger 78 with a magnetic button in front and a snap fastener for the belt loop, really the best sheath I ever made, even with his monogram. 1,700 km (a bit more than 1,000 miles) is just a bit too far away to jump over for pics.

But my brother in law got a CRKT Edgie with the 1st version of that sheath, maybe with his new hobby, photography, he can take some decent shots for me.

11. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

So, wait....how do you know if a higo is real? Are the ones sold on amazon fake?

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

ManVsLawn, Nekolf, Daywalker and 2 others like this.
  12. fast

fast Loaded Pockets

Well, I think Higonokami is the name for this kind of knife, not a brand.
    But on mine there's the manufacturer's signature. Reads sth like: This Higonokami is made by and so forth.
    Both have that edged into the handle, but only one of them has the smith's (I'm guessing here) signature on the blade itself.
    That's why I'm not sure. Could be a fake/rip off.

Edit. Okay now I googled a little because I remembered I once looked up what the japanese signs on my Higo mean.
    A user from a german knife forum asked the seller for that information, according to the reply it means:

HONBA TSUKI (with the real blade)
    TO-ROKU SHO-HIO (patented)
    HIGONOKAMI (product's name)
    KANEKOMA (name of the manufacturer)

I just translated that from german, so if somebody speaks japanese, please correct any possible errors. :)
    The signs on the blade itself really seem to be the smith's signature.

Last edited by fast, Jan 23, 2016
  13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

fast Greetings from a German immigrant in St.Gall ;)

14. fast

fast Loaded Pockets

Adahn you're practically a neighbour, I'm just on my way to Liechtenstein. :-D
    Greetings back from a liechtensteinian immigrant in Bern.

15. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Maybe I'll go to FL at August 15 again, I've seen the fireworks 3 or 4 times already and it's always nice to see how a souvereign can bring joy to his subjects ;)

16. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yep, it came from the factory like that. I think it was called the kiridashi blade but I am not 100%. It has been awhile. Also,thank you... that means a lot coming from you.
    To stay on track here is another Higo pic. :ninja:
    [​IMG]

17. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

flatblackcapo
    HigoBro, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't be able to speak Higo. So again, thanks 3TUG.:D
    Great pic...see the one I was wondering about, if it was a fake, had the writing but a cherry blossom on the handle as well. ???
    Be safe!

18. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha my friend,

THAT is a nice one! Steel handle is very nice when polished! Great pic knifebrother...
    Soon...very soon...;)

19. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Hey moostapha sir,

See, that's the reason why i contacted flatblackcapo.
    However, after doing some research, it is said that only ONE true maker whose family forged these Higo No Kami knives exists, and he is the only surviving member of said family. The rest are being made by other Japanese makers, or possibly (probably) China folks. The stamp on the blade is one way to assure a legit Higo, but that can be faked.
    Hard to tell, but I am happy with the one I got from flatblackcapo...I just broke down some boxes tonight with it and since I recently saw SWars, I couldn't help but to think I was cutting down Kylo.:giggle: Or at least giving him a haircut.:giggle:
    Hope your back is better sir.
    Be safe!

20. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

肥後の守の国より こんにちは
    Hi from the home of Higonokami.:wavespin:

I have a very small one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can help to translate. (though my English is still not good.)

kensington, Water-Rat, Shike and 10 others like this.