1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The HDS thread

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SAKplumber, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Jharpphoto

Jharpphoto Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the heads up on the lights available in the forum store. Unfortunately there aren't any 325 lumen rotary models in there. I think that is what I need.

2. AndrwTNT
    • In Omnia Paratus

AndrwTNT EDC Junkie

3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Have you studied the manual? :D

4. AndrwTNT
    • In Omnia Paratus

AndrwTNT EDC Junkie

I've been studying it for about 4 months now… I can only hope I'm as prepared as I think I am haha

Nighted, tfbraden, Nekolf and 3 others like this.
  5. AndrwTNT
    • In Omnia Paratus

AndrwTNT EDC Junkie

It's here!

[​IMG]

I first have to say, way better in person than I even expected. Feels great and looks amazing!
    Also, I am VERY glad I got a clicky.. It seems to be all I need at the moment.

HOWEVER…..

I had ordered the rechargeable battery kit and there were no rechargeable cells in the package, so after contacting Hnery he said they must have forgot and will ship them out to me. In addition, doing my initial investigation OCD run through before fiddling too much with it, I noticed that the lens and the reflector seemed to be a bit dirty… There is also what looks like a scratch to be on the outer edge of the reflector. It doesn't necessarily effect the function but it really bugs me for the amount of money I paid for it. I sent an email to Henry asking if there is a way to send it back to get an even exchange for the same thing since it's a standard executive. I hate being picky like that but like I said, for the money, I want it to at least arrive without flaws. Especially on the inside and reflector… bummed that I might have to wait to send it back and get another, but VERY glad I bought one and can't wait to get my final light and carry it every day. Guess I just had 1st time buyers bad luck...

(You can see the 'scratch' which is most likely just some grease smudge near the top, and all those particles are on the inside of the lens along with some swirl prints. The whole bezel/reflector area just looks like someone had opened it up and touched around with a little grease on their fingers.)
    [​IMG]

Bowman1911, Nekolf, Slumber and 3 others like this.
  6. Slumber

Slumber Loaded Pockets

Shucks, it's a shame you have to send it back Andrw. I don't think you're being too picky. I can take mismatched anodizing and a few specks of dust on the lense, but what you have would probably bother me too.
    On the other hand, I'm glad you finally got to put your mitts on and HDS. Feeling is believing! I hope Hen gets you squared away soon.

AndrwTNT and Nekolf like this.
  7. AndrwTNT
    • In Omnia Paratus

AndrwTNT EDC Junkie

Thanks Slumber. I honestly am so glad I bought the thing though because even for the few minutes I got to play with it, I was convinced it will most likely be the only flashlight I will carry from now on. The click is buttery smooth, the UI is so complex yet extremely easy to navigate once understood… can't say enough good about it!

Henry responded to my email last night and told me to go ahead and send it back and he will replace the light so as I am very happy that is happening, still a little upset that I now have to wait to have it again.. I had a taste of awesome and now have to wait again! :banghead:

Bowman1911, Nekolf and thePlumbah like this.
  8. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

First, congratulations on your first HDS. Also it sounds good to hear Henry will replace your light.;) How was the whiteness of the XP-G2?

Bowman1911 and AndrwTNT like this.
  9. AndrwTNT
    • In Omnia Paratus

AndrwTNT EDC Junkie

Thanks! I am very VERY excited to finally own one. Henry is great, getting me taken care of right away. The tint on the XP-G2 is actually a little better than I was expecting, I can't hardly see any 'blue' in it and seems to be mostly pure white. Especially on maximum. Very glad I went with that one to start.

PS. My tracking for the holster you sent me says it arrived in Los Angeles on friday so I should be seeing it in the mail in a few days since LA is only 45 minutes away. Can't wait!

10. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

Great! I suppose you are impressed again when you saw the tint of Nichia 219.

I hope the package will arrive safely.;)

tfbraden, Slumber and AndrwTNT like this.
  11. AndrwTNT
    • In Omnia Paratus

AndrwTNT EDC Junkie

Now I've got the AW batteries and the charger, waiting for my light to get back to Hen then will be waiting for my replacement, I also got a missed delivery notice today while I was at work for the holster you sent Nekolf so I will be able to pick that up from the post office tomorrow morning on my way back to work. One day I'll have all my stuff together in one place… haha

Last edited by AndrwTNT, Aug 14, 2015
  12. AndrwTNT
    • In Omnia Paratus

AndrwTNT EDC Junkie

[post deleted]

tfbraden and reppans like this.
  13. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can unscrew it and clean it out.

14. AndrwTNT
    • In Omnia Paratus

AndrwTNT EDC Junkie

I didn't want to take the chance cleaning out the reflector… shouldn't be touching those things. Regardless, shouldn't be shipped to a customer looking used.

Last edited by AndrwTNT, Aug 14, 2015
    tfbraden likes this.
  15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

What do you think would happen? These aren't assembled in a clean room. Most everyone here has cracked one open to change an o ring. The best part about HDS is they are tough ....you aren't going to hurt anything. I realize you only got to play with it for a few minutes but it's only going to get better. Years later I still find myself in awe what a great, well thought light it is and I really wanted to dislike HDS having waited for a year and a half to get one that I had paid for.

You are very correct that if you want it perfect... that is your right and it should come that way.

I just think it's lame you copy paste a persons email......complain about them and we are talking about dust and maybe a scratch or smudge. Open that thing up.....Is it a scratch?

Bowman1911 likes this.
  16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

While you can open the bezel and use compressed air to blow dust particles away, if that picture above does indeed have a grease smudge on the reflector, I would never recommend a user to try and clean that off. Touching the reflector can be a vicious circle, and most accounts I've read turn out worst than they started.

Not surprised by Henry's response - after all this is really a non-functional cosmetic issue, but given the price point, I do understand it. While Henry's CS is good, and fair (I've read numerous accounts), I've experienced much better. Thanks for sharing it.

17. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Of course, had the parts not been swapped it would be a different story, but I think it was more so you were aware of the steps they had taken (in case they didn't look at something you wanted them to) and to be educational. I know that the educational bit can sometimes seem condescending (esp. to the aggrieved party -- I know how I feel in similar situations), but my experience of HDS and Henry is that it likely was not an attempt to be condescending or to "talk back" or tell you you were out of line.

In any event, I'm glad you are continuing to give them a try, I truly don't think there's a better light out there and I really like being able to pick up the phone and know that the actual person who created the thing will be happy to help me troubleshoot.

AndrwTNT likes this.
  18. AndrwTNT
    • In Omnia Paratus

AndrwTNT EDC Junkie

[post deleted]

Last edited by AndrwTNT, Aug 15, 2015
    tfbraden and reppans like this.
  19. AndrwTNT
    • In Omnia Paratus

AndrwTNT EDC Junkie

[post deleted]

Last edited by AndrwTNT, Aug 15, 2015
  20. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

You've said many times you are ocd and one of the top flashlight makers said it was nothing but some dust that I would have taken care of myself and a smudge on the exterior of the lens not the reflector.(you said that was probably the case) And you still bash him. I think he changed it out to 'literally' calm you down and not receive more phone calls. That is above and beyond in my opinion.

I have lights that more expensive and they are beat from my use and that is where the light can be truly appreciated.

like you said, it's your money and your light. Don't be afraid to use a HDS.

Bowman1911 likes this.