1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The HDS thread

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SAKplumber, Dec 14, 2014.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I own one. No doubt it is a finely-crafted product; however, a flashlight should not need an "Advanced User Manual." If it is "The light that gets [me] home," it needs to be as simple as possible. I don't wish to read anything to learn how to activate it. I should just be able to load the battery and activate the switch.

Rverdi, horgerg, hal_chase and 3 others like this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

From what I understand once the user programs it to max its usefulness, for that user, it will stay programmed if the battery change out is not a long process and as long as the lithium battery is replaced with the same.
    I can deal with that.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"Once the user programs it..."

:nah_disagree:

microbe, hal_chase and ManVsLawn like this.
  4. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Some people enjoy the tinker factor, and feel it adds to the appeal. If someone wants a light that "just works", there are a slew of other options. The beauty of a free market.

Although their slogan may be a bit misleading.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

How is the fact that you can personalize the light to your exact preference be a downside?

This is why they make different lights,clearly this one os not for you.

microbe and Bowman1911 like this.
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The downside is that having to "tinker" with it or "personalize" it means that there are more things to break. If it breaks, it won't do its job.

It is marketed as the "The light that gets you home." I acquired it because of that mantra. I believed that I had it "programmed." During a training session with it, it took me three attempts to get the highest setting. THREE!

I don't believe it malfunctioned. It's just the way it is.

This is not a serious-enough flashlight for me to take to a fight...

I believe it is somewhere in a box in my garage.

hal_chase, reppans and kertap75 like this.
  7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I really like HDS lights - I have two, and another Henry designed light (Novatac EDC120P)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My HDS Clicky is an older 170 Tactical model, with the golden dragon emitter and a narrow beam, i have set it up the way i like it, momentary and locator flash on, triple click for minimum, A is 20ish lumens, B is 50ish, and Click Press hold (from off, press and hold from on) is Max - i plan on getting a Flush Button for it at some point (probably when i order my next light from HDS)
    the other one is a HDS/RA Twisty TW100 - three programmable levels, tighten for L1, another half turn for L2 and a quarter turn more for L3

I plan on getting a Rotary at some point too - just waiting to see if the neutral version gets a brightness bump too.

[​IMG]

I seem to have a habit of carrying them for big occasions - the Novatac was in my pocket when i was married, the Twisty when my first daughter was born, and both the clicky and twisty when my second daughter was born

Last edited by echo63, Dec 14, 2014
    rotorfly, hal_chase, Gwac110 and 3 others like this.
  8. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I think you might like Peak torches ... simple as dirt, tough as rocks :)

I've got lots of different flashlights (including many from HDS and Ra), but I carry a Peak more often than anything else.

hal_chase likes this.
  9. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

I have had a 170edc Sapir Lens Ti bezel for seven years now.
    I have it programed to click on highest lum level and press and hold from any level including off it will strobe high and a double click gets me to moon light level.
    It really is a great light and just feels like quality when you hold it.
    I will never get rid of it.
    Once you learn the programing, it is not hard.
    The levels pre programmed are great too.

10. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

Thanks hal, it was hard to catch up with this nice thread because there are so many texts!:frantic:
    And thanks to thePlumbah for tagging me.:)

Henry left the Novatac and started his own company again, and their first lineup was only the Ra Twisty. If I remember correctly, their tag line "The light that gets you home" was begun with the Twisty. It did not need to read user manuals. It was very sturdy and reliable, was probably what you need. I still love my Twisty 100Tr, and I hope the Twisty would be added to a lineup again.:)

quickster47, hal_chase and Bowman1911 like this.
  11. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

In an equivalent sized and orange-peeled reflector, the XPL seems to sit in the middle between an XML's flood and XPG's throw, maybe leaning a bit more toward the XML. The tint is warm for a CW leaning toward a neutralish yellow and it matches my MDC quite closely - they're my favorite CWs so far, and I understand both companies buy from premium tint bins. Although I prefer NW and HCRI, I'm not really a tint snob and a floody beam profile is much more important for this low lumen enthusiast, and so was happy to learn about the XPL version. I like the beam a lot more than my XPG2 MDC w/McGizmo reflector. The 325 lumens is spot on by my PVC lightbox, BTW, and should be around 400-450 on a Selfbuilt scale (my scale matches up with ti-force).

murrydan, Gwac110, twin63 and 3 others like this.
  12. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

Great pictures and really good story.:)

hal_chase, Bowman1911 and echo63 like this.
  13. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

redacted

hal_chase likes this.
  14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

wow

Bowman1911 and hal_chase like this.
  15. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks for bumping this and thanks for the pics Nekolf.

I wanted to ask if anyone knows if there is a standby setting on a model?

Nekolf and hal_chase like this.
  17. Claptrap

Claptrap Loaded Pockets

Currently own the EDC Rotary 170 w/ nichia 219b...fabulous light. I like it so well that I've ordered a second HDS; EDC Rotary 250 inbound.

I am not a flashlight collector, I just like high quality gear that serves my intended purpose. The rotary does everything I want and I have found it's features intuitive and easily produced.

Please excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by standby setting?

18. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

To echo other comments the thing about this light that occurred to me after playing with if for a while is that so many more, MOST really, products should have the quality this does. I could be using my HDS120E highCRI a very long time and don't care about whether its "outdated". Henry talks about it being the lowest cost to own and apart from the efficiency of the light if you do the math many other seemingly expensive products may be the cheapest in the long run because they will last and need replacing less often - plus you get to enjoy their higher quality throughout without worrying about imminent failure as I seem to do with other products just a few years old.

The light reflects a long process of constant design improvement but I imagine owing one of the earlier Novatac or Ra lights is still rewarding despite having lower output and less programming options.

That said I wouldnt mind a 250 rotary to replace several other lights esp in neutral.

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I have a stanby setting on two of my lights. You turn the clickie on but rotate the ring to a preset "off" so when you want to use the light you simply turn it to the setting and its on.
    I will, at least for a while, find it awkward to have to use two hands to either click it or flip it around in one hand after clicking.

Nekolf, hal_chase and reppans like this.
  20. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I don't own the rotary, but I'm pretty sure you need the clickie to turn it on. The light is designed to use with an over-hand grip so the thumb will be at the clicky and the rotary (on the tailcap) will be between your thumb and index fingers, so no need to change positions. If you like carrying under-handed for more comfort, I think a cigar grip works well which should again allow you to work the clicky and rotary without changing grips.

Nekolf, thePlumbah and hal_chase like this.