1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The HDS thread

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SAKplumber, Dec 14, 2014.

1. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

"The light that gets you home" acording to the HDSSystems website.
    But available in the Forum store now :) EDCF Manix 2 XL and a bunch of other stuff.

Heres the thing...In discussing another light I decided that I am going to give the HDS a try...dunno which one yet, though, but it will be an HDS.

After this exchange I decided that this light should have its own thread because it has so many fans. (Lets tag KeyeEl, Mumbojumboo, and Nekolf as well as the guys quoted here, just to get this started.)

As time goes on I'll have some questions and it would help me get the answers if I had a better place to ask...so here we are :D

If you have one, share about it, pic, comment, whatev. Love, hate, could care less?...I'm open for it.

Last edited by thePlumbah, Feb 16, 2015
    cowsmilk, reppans, Nekolf and 5 others like this.
  2. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

New owner of an EDC-T1B-250 that i posted up here :)

I own lots of lights I consider mission critical tools and lots of lights that are EDC...the EDC stuff varies from Far Eastern stuff to more established vendors. I bought the HDS to become part of my EDC roatation.

Since getting it something is now very clear....the HDS wipes the floor with all of them :eek:

My only criticism so far (I own a Rotary) is no pocket clip. It's no biggie as I pocket carry my EDC lights but it would be nice to attach a lanyard (something I do on ALL EDC lights....just in case I want to hang one round my neck)

microbe, reppans, Nekolf and 4 others like this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think it is tough to truly appreciate both the design and the execution of an HDS light until you have had one around for a little while?
    I fell for them right away but it is something that also keeps growing as you get to know them better too.

I think the tagline "The one that Gets you Home" is about any HDS too not just the Rotary.

They are not the brightest,smallest or flashiest(yes I just said that!)light you can get but like a lot of the better custom or ready made lights there is a lot more there than the specs alone can convey.
    There is just a "Rightness" to the construction that gives me confidence in the lights operation just like with a Surefire that has to be felt to understand.

I have a few HDS and 1 Rotary and my favorite feature aside from the obvious attention to detail in the build is the way it can be programmed to answer my needs.
    Every other light I have and have read about has EITHER variable output OR multi-modes but the HDS is to my knowledge the only one that lets you use both in a fluid and easily accessed way.

You can programm 4 "Levels" or Behaviors" maybe is a better way to describe it where depending on the number of button presses from off different behaviors are enacted.
    Instead of the variable output being the only setting or a selection along a switch turn it is just 1 of the programmed settings and so the button and rotary adjuster work independent of each other!

So you could have

1 press=Full output
    2 press=Rotary output
    3 press=1/2 output
    Press and Hold= Strobe

as an example.
    If you think about this for a minute it is easy to see why this can be so powerful and unlike any other light that I know of.
    I don't need to have an ultra-low lumen preset because I can turn the rotary control all the way down and then when the Rotary is selected its output will be that lowest setting,it really is brilliant and obvious once you use it!

The only other light I like as much is my Surefire Titan which is truly variable and also a little jewel of a light but the HDS really does stand alone in what it does for me.

Do IT!

buckkiller, microbe, reppans and 5 others like this.
  4. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

thePlumbah
    I've got the edc rotary 250 with a flat tailcap, allowing tailstand. I work in what's considered a hospital and sometimes I end up working rounds on a unit on 3rd shift. SOmetimes I need just enough light to see someone's chest rise (making sure they're alive) when I peek in their room every 15 minutes. Sometimes, I need a little more light to make someone's pupil's constrict when doing a head routine. The joint I work in was built in 1860, & our backup jenny's are :censored:! When the power goes out, & it does, (we don't have medically fragile patients, so life support is a moot point) I may need a decent amount of light, as this isn't a place you want to be in, in total darkness, ever!
    At home, I've got a 5' chainlink fence around my property that I keep locked whether I'm at home or not. When I get off it's always dark so really, all the light I need is a little more than the lowest setting to unlock the gate & pull the vehicle in, then relock the gate. I've got 3, 65lb dogs all outside, who like to get into things, as well as let me know when something's amiss in the neighborhood, so usually, this is a quick press, hold of the switch to full 250 lumens.
    With the way I've got mine set up, & with the rotary switch. all these are simply a quick press for momentary, a quick click for on, then a rotate for the desired brightness, or a click, press & hold for all out 250. The extra strobes are neat, but I really don't have any use for them. However, the easter egg, led candle mode is really neat for telling ghost stories. I've got the burst mode & auto shutoff enabled. The burst mode reduces the brightest level 1 notch after about a minute of use (visible to the nekkid eye, but prolongs battery life). And the auto shutoff kicks in after 10 minutes of constant on & shuts it down after 10 minutes of use, also to prolong battery life in case you put it up & forget to shut it off.

5. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

Shows what I know...I thought "Rotary" was part of the name of any of the models.........edited the thread title :D

Nekolf, hal_chase and Bowman1911 like this.
  6. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

Check Henry's site
    Various current models with many options and a long history of previous 'legendary' iterations.

Sent from HTC One via Crapatalk

Nekolf, archimedes and Bowman1911 like this.
  7. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I don't have any of the modern ones, but if there are questions about the vintage versions, ask away ... :)

8. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

EZDog & Bowman1911, hal_chase

Thanks. I haven't been able to clearly understand the settings and different models from their webpage.

If I could choose I would like to turn it on on Low most of the time, then have the ability to dial it up as needed, but also would like to turn it on in High in any instant that I need it.

Also, I'd like the brightest model available.

ManVsLawn, Nekolf and hal_chase like this.
  9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oh well Nevermind!
    I thought you meant the Rotary in particular since that is how it read when I saw it so if anyone sees this now know it was not this way at first!

The other HDS are almost what the Rotary is just without the one variable output setting.
    Still amazing for sure.
    He used to offer an entry to them for $100.00 which was a crazy good value I think but alas those days seem to be over.

Nekolf, Bowman1911 and hal_chase like this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • The Omnia Paratus

Also, I would like to turn it on in strobe as well. :D

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

And that is the whole advantage of the Rotary too!
    You can have it set to do the lowest from a certain number of presses but then press and hold to get any other setting including the Rotary level whatever it is at that time. Another double tap and any other set level or function and a triple tap and yet another!
    It is really the most flexible yet intuitive interface that I know of.

12. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

It does that out the box so to speak. Download the PDF called Advanced User Manual on Henry's site....all questions regarding modes/programming will be answered

Nekolf, Bowman1911 and thePlumbah like this.
  13. Gwac110
    • The Omnia Paratus

Gwac110 EDC Junkie!!!

Great thread, didn't need anymore convincing though, a HDS will be my next flashlight purchase.
    Just need to decide which one, love everything about the rotary apart from the lack of pocket clip, I'll have to learn to live without one!!

14. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

Henry is supposedly designing a pocket clip for Rotary. There is a nasty generic one available that fits but its pig ugly

thePlumbah, Nekolf and Gwac110 like this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well he has been designing that since I have known about his lights,I will not be holding my breath waiting for one!
    I am also waiting for the alternate battery bodies which seem a lot more simple to produce to me but........

16. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I always dig a clip on a light, but I've learned that the rotary is too good to miss out on due to not having a clip. They now have one for it, but at $47 for the clip, I'll pass. Do I want a Mcgizmo?! Of course, don't everybody?! Can I afford one? Not anytime soon. Could I afford the HDS? Nope, but as long as I carried my Novatac 120edc, I figured the rotary had to be even better & it sure didn't disappoint! Does a Mcgizmo do everything that an HDS does?! Couldn't tell ya, but I still want one! Would it replace my HDS? Probably not everyday.

And this is what's brought me to where I am with everything I carry nowadays. Wallet, watch, tool chain, light, knife, gun(s). I was a member here back in the day, got sidetracked with other hobbies & interests, & left the site for a few years. Came back in February, and have since updated pretty much my entire edc at this point. I've made a few mistakes in my choices in that time, and have had to buy twice, instead of spending a little more the first time, but all in all, my choices were sound, & I'm at a point in my edc, that I don't think I've ever been at before. I used to always be after another knife, or another light, or a new handgun, but now, if something catches my eye, I ask, will it replace such & such? If not, I pass it on by. This started with my xm-18, but I didn't realize it until the HDS landed. It's the edc item that sort of, set the bar for my purchase decisions from there on out. Sorry for the wall of text, just some musings from a bathroom philosophist.

17. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

Yes...an 18650 tube would be easy peasy and a great upgrade

18. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

The rotary clip is already on the market. Check out the place that sells titanium that's unique. Oh, and here's a really new pic of my rotary. It's clad in the rubber armor I got for my novatac edc120 way back in the day, as well as a surefire filter housing, a 3/4" rubber grommet, the rubber rings from a surefire g2z nitrolon, and several o-rings. The lanyard is gitd paracord & the bead is homemade from a skull keychain from Blair's 3am private reserve hotsauce.
    [​IMG]

19. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

Loving everything you've been writing, don't apologise.

I too lust over a McGizmo (Haiku) and will own one...partly out of curiosity and partly as its (maybe) the zenith of my current lights....I doubt however it will be technically as polished as an HDS

ManVsLawn, Nekolf, thePlumbah and 2 others like this.
  20. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

hal_chase
    I totally agree! I'd love a Haiku, or possibly a sun drop! But Henry's lights are superbly thought out! I mean who else out there puts so much thought into a light as to emp proof it?