1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Green Egg

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by speedy, Jun 21, 2018.

1. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

I am giving serious thought in getting one of these for I own a Weber and I get stupid problems with it, and while I seen these things I never met anyone that has it. Well turns out friends of my fiance does and they brought it to a tailgate and my fiance said the food was phenomenal from it.

I am Google it like crazy and watching videos and anxious to get to a store to get a in person view.

Any thoughts/comments about it would be appreciated.

#1 speedy, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2018
  2. Tarponfly49

Tarponfly49 Loaded Pockets

After having owned a big green egg and also a kamado joe (same thing, just competitor) I’d recommend either, but the Joe give you a better rack system (divide and conquor- 2 level racks). both have great warranties and after a small learning curve, you’ll never cook on anything else again! FYI, good charcoal will greatly aid you in getting better results....I prefer FOGO.

3. Captdave13

Captdave13 Loaded Pockets

I bought a Kamodo Joe instead of the BGE. Same thing as a BGE but it comes with everything you need and you have to buy them separately. Also if you live near a Costco they should be having road shows for the KJ. I love mine and it’s the best investment in outdoor cooking and the most versatile grill that you’ll own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

After I posted this I did more research, the one I asked about and the one you both recommended is not cheap at all. I don't mind spending that money but just can't till at least next year. So thinking of just going with the large Weber charcoal grill for now. BTW I did watch a video of side-by-side comparison with the Weber I am interested in and the GE, in the end they said between cost and how heat is distributed you get more bang for your buck if you go Weber. The only real thing that GE has over W is it can go a bit higher in temperature which with the stuff I cook, 400 is the highest I needed. Also it's A LOT lighter to move around.

huntnow likes this.
  5. opichocal

opichocal Loaded Pockets

I don't own one but I looked into it several years ago. You need to buy lump charcoal which can get expensive and the cooking area isn't all that big. I bought a New Braunfels smoker instead. It can cook about anything and the briskets come out amazing. I also have a weber and a tec gas grill. The GE was too expensive, fragile and not worth the money in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

I have the Weber charcoal grill, and couldn't be happier. Although the BGE and KJ are a little fancier, the cost difference is pretty substantial. I would rather put the extra money towards buying better cuts of meat and higher quality charcoal. Get your self a chimney for starting.

Check out BBQPitBoys for some great recipes/tips. And the videos are amusing.

huntnow, Moshe ben David and garza like this.
  7. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

+1 for BBQ Pit Boys

I purchased a Green Egg from NextDoor. Initially my offer was declined but as moving day approached, my offer was accepted.

We have more grills and smokers than we need but we use the grills year round. Each has it’s own pros/cons. Gas grill, traditional charcoal, GE, smoker and a Blackstone are in my backyard landscaped in different spots.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I just had a mental picture of all of these going strong say on a holiday with a family gathering ... and your backyard showing up on the evening news as the epicenter of local pollution that day.... LMAO :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

garza likes this.
  9. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

LOL.

I had a neighbor complain about the smoker being used all night to roast a whole pig. I invited him over. Now he brings some beer or a spiked watermelon.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I’ve considered the Acorn, another competitor at a much lower cost, but decided I like my Weber too much. In my opinion, it takes a while to get to know a new grill and how to use it correctly. I’ve learned how to do steaks just the way I like them on the Weber. I’ve also used it as a smoker on several occasions, successfully. I recently built a concrete topped bbq table to put the Weber in for a better useable space. I like using the Weber even more now.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

I am not sure if I will ever buy the GE and it's competitor for when I watched what it entails to setup I am not crazy about it. Why? Well lets say you are smoking something that will take 8 hours or more and you need more coal, you have to take out all this stuff to get to that area. Where with the Weber I just need to open the flaps on the side and dump some charcoal in and it's done!

If they re-designed the egg to have a door in the front to place coal/wood then I would be more inclined to buy it.

huntnow likes this.
  12. Cannonball

Cannonball Loaded Pockets

I’ve got an XL BGE and love it. It’s very forgiving, hard to mess up a meal. One of my favorites is reverse sear smoked steak. Cook it low to allow smoke flavor to permeate the meat, then crank it up and sear it at the end.

You can do 12-16 hour briskets without needing to reload the charcoal

Captdave13 likes this.
  13. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

I hear ya but the lack of thought of not allowing easy access to the charcoal for refilling to me was to be frank stupid.

14. Tarponfly49

Tarponfly49 Loaded Pockets

Ive cooked for several years on my egg and my kamado joe and have yet to find myself in a situation where I needed to add charcoal to it (during the cook). I think you may be greatly underestimating how conservative it is on consumption bc of how insulative it is. I can typically cook several times (sparing the details) on the same charcoal, before having to add more. Close all the vents when done and I bet you’re surprised how much isleft once it cools down.

#14 Tarponfly49, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Captdave13 and garza like this.
  15. Captdave13

Captdave13 Loaded Pockets

Absolutely! I was shocked initially how efficient the Kamado Joe is on charcoal. I can’t ever imagine needing to add charcoal during any type of cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 Captdave13, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Tarponfly49 likes this.
  16. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Whatevs. The cost difference is significant and even videos I found with a side by side comparison said due to tests and the cost Weber is more than sufficient. Not to say maybe down the road I won't get the Egg or a variant of it but for now I will do just fine with the Weber based on the MANY videos I watched.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Loaded Pockets

well you were the one who wanted to hear first hand experiences with them...lol

18. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Tarponfly49 likes this.
  19. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

You sound like my wife.

20. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

I would honestly look into ugly drum smokers. You can make one yourself for real cheap. They are insanely fuel efficient and hold temp like crazy. Here is 2 that I have built [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

garza likes this.