1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Gear the US Army Wants For 2017 and Beyond: Junction Tourniquet?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by bmstrong, Jan 6, 2017.

1. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

2. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

A Junctional Tourniquet is a tourniquets that is specificially designed to stop blood flow in the inguinal junctions. There are a few different ones out there some are unilateral. Some are bilateral

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmstrong likes this.
  3. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

What kind of size are we talking about? Have you had experience with the unilateral/bilateral? Any weaknesses or deficiencies with the design?

4. maillet282

There are multiple designs out there. I know one of the unilateral designed is basically a C clamp with a teflon ball at the end. One of the bilateral ones also incorporates a pelvic girdle and has 2 pressure applicators that work independently from each other

There are a few different companies out there that stock them.

North American Reacue
    CTOMS

To name a few

Unfortunately these are not incorporated into my scope of practice yet. I am still only trained and qualified to pack a would with hemostatic gauze ( combat gauze) and evac ASAP

bmstrong likes this.
  5. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I had to google a few things in the above posts. I hope I wasn't the only one.

bmstrong and kensington like this.
  6. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

I teach the new Stop the Bleed program from Homeland Defense. The ideal purpose vis a vis Stop the Bleed is that a tourniquet can be put on oneself with one hand. We teach the way to do it on an opposing arm. For purposes like these the simplest design is best, no buckles, etc. and certainly no ratchet devices which can be the devil to use, even for those trained and using two hands.(I am good with my hands and had the devil's own time learning to use the myriad of over-complicated devices that can still be found in ambulances.)
    I think the best are the simple Velcro models with a windlass. They hold well and can torque down most any bleed other than femoral perhaps. Those can require multiple devices no matter what.
    Current scope of practice allows almost anyone with a modicum of training to use a tourniquet. However...some EMS jurisdictions have some weird regulations. Look at NYS with six (!) different EMS jurisdictions, each with its own protocols and scope of practice.
    I assume you mean you are a Basic Responder? I would think even BR's can use a tourniquet these days.

7. maillet282

I am simply referring to a junctional Tourniquet. Overseas I carried numerous CATs and SOF-t as well as combat gauze