1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The forum was down for awhile. We will possibly be down for a few hours next week.

Discussion in 'MEMBER RULES, GUIDELINES & ANNOUNCEMENTS' started by JonSidneyB, Jun 13, 2010.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

We did have a server problem for a little while a bit ago.

I will be possibly moving to the next version of vB next week, I am going to see how it goes for some other forum owners and decide them. What will complicate it a bit is there has been some custom fixes and I don't know how that is going to work with the new version. vB is making a lot of changes to vB4. If the next version does what they say it will to it will bring the number of bugs below 1000. The problem is how many things we will have to fix (custom work) after the upgrade?

The owners of vB software have been advised to limit modifications for now as there are changes taking place. Hopefully this will be a good upgrade and we will have fewer problems. The next upgrade will be 4.0.4. It looks like it might not be until 4.1 before the bug count gets to a really low level.

2. Belush2
    • In Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oh No....

I certainly hope all the frustration, headaches from hard work, long sleepless nights, bruised and blistered finger tips that you have endured trying to do all the fixes for us does not go down the drain with this next change over!!

Thank You Jon...For All You Do!!

3. Kris

Kris Loaded Pockets

sounds like the current version of VB has been a total nightmare.

Thanks for keeping us advised Jon and good luck with the install

4. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I am holding off on the change to vB 4.0.4

At first the reports were coming in that this was a good upgrade then people started having problems and the bug reports started coming in.

Some of the people that moved to 4.0.4 say it either broke the forum or made things worse. Feed back coming in this upgrade to reduce the number of bugs has introduced some critical new bugs. Some people are working though them but from post in the vB owners section is that it is taking a lot of time editing the code to fix things. I am going to do some testing on vB4.0.4 on a test site and see what happens to a copy of the forum.

Originally one of the reasons for going to vB was the save time, instead vB4 has been a consumer of time. Again it is being advised to not do many modifications to the forum as they are trying to re-write the software and it may break some of the things that they are doing. Some who have managed to get things fixed are going to have their fixes broken. I can't really used some of the time saving features I wanted to add as the software is evolving. At some point if there is not progress and getting the bug count down I am going to have to stop hoping that it gets stable enough to start adding the time saving features I will possibly have no choice but to move to IPB. A person who moved from vB 3.85 says with the old software they only had to visit the owners area of vB once. With vB4 they say they are spending all their time there.

Upgrade scratched for the moment until I can get somethings figured out.

5. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Jon, sorry to hear about the problems.

Thanks for all your hard work to get the software to work. We all really appreciate it.

6. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Gah, sorry to hear it requires so much attention. Shame things didn't go as they should've, sure would be nice.

Thanks for your work buddy.
    I'll send a burger or two your way next week. Ya know... so you can stay awake through the night working fervently. Hehe, that was supposed to be a silly joke but I forgot the internet is terrible for things like that.

Thanks again.
    Have a good weekend.

7. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

vB got a ton a massive amount of flak from vB4 owners about how 4.0.4 turned out. The vB4 owners basically demanded a bug fix only upgrade that included 0 new features.

They are preparing vB 4.0.5 to try and correct the new problems associated with 4.0.4 and it is expected to be available next week. After 4.0.5 becomes available I am going to watch and see what kind of feed back comes in. If it looks like a fairly good release I will update the forum which will break some of the things that we have already done on the forum. I will try and get those things fixed as fast as possible. I might bring in some help to speed the process up. I will give a some notice before this work happens as the forum will be down for a little while when we do this.

If vB 4.0.5 brings down the bug down enough and I think things are going to be stable enough I will start trying to improve this forum. If 4.0.5 does not seem that great we will start looking at alternatives. I might be building a test forum based on other software to see how that works out.

8. Mister Scribble

Thanks for the update Jon, and for your continuing hard work and self-sacrifice to make
    things run and run smoothly.

Just don't overdo the self-sacrifice part. You've got a life too, man.

I wonder if software at some point gets so complicated that it becomes impossible for it
    to function properly.

Maybe we need some kind of new macro coding language to handle the complexity, like
    the original programming languages were a level above more detailed machine code.

When I complained about Windows 7 being so hard to deal with because all my old
    software screwed it up, a computer auditor author of mine told me, "Buy a Mac.
    It has become too difficult to maintain Windows."

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

This software is unusually buggy. If they can get the bugs under control it might not be that bad. One package I am looking at contains 10-15 bugs. vB4 has about 1400.

It is easy to tell things have changed here. We used to have more than double the active members and every month the active member count was increasing. Since the move we have been going down in active members every month.

We really have not changed how we do things on the forum so I am thinking issues with the software is an annoyance for some members.

10. Mister Scribble

Well, it took a while to get comfortable with it, and your old vast archive of old threads is gone. I've noticed that there didn't seem to be as many
    people posting, but thought it might be because I wasn't going through all the pages of each thread. I really didn't like seeing the oldest message
    at the top when I read a thread; I think I changed the options or you did, because I don't remember seeing that anymore. The old software just
    seemed easier to use somehow.

I still miss the way the old software presented replies to my posts. I have gotten used to clicking on my name and then on "all posts" to see
    if someone replied to something I said, but it could be more user friendly. I suspect a lot of replies aren't read by people who post.

11. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

The old threads should still be there. I am going to check somethings to see what might have happened to them.