1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The "Field Notes" Thread!

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by olletsocmit, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Last Ship

Last Ship Loaded Pockets

Nice!! Welcome to the family. Who is the MFG on your leather? Nice design

2. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes Loaded Pockets

Inquiring Minds Want to Know. I'd be interested , as is Last Ship, in finding out the source of your FN Leather Notebook Cover. Jim

3. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

In truth, it's actually a passport cover. I trimmed about 3/16" off the back cover of the Field Notes, top and bottom. It fits like a glove. I actually don't know who the manufacturer is (I threw the packaging away. I picked it up at a Family Christian Store in Fort Wayne, IN about 3 weeks ago. It was half price at $11 so I couldn't refuse.

survivaleverydaycarry likes this.
  4. StarBat

StarBat Loaded Pockets

5. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Just ordered the workshop edition 6 pack. I have a couple cherry wood covered ones left but I think I'm down to two books.

countrydirt likes this.
  6. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Got these gems in the mail today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jessica Meshaw

Jessica Meshaw Loaded Pockets

Nice cover! Looks great!

Guarddog, Last Ship and RogerStenning like this.
  8. Jason Liddell

Jason Liddell Loaded Pockets

Has anyone used a paper perforator to create tearable pages at the back of the book. It was the one thing I liked the moleskin pocket books

9. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Nah, I just cut any pages off with a knife if I need to.

calebklyne and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Anyone have any good options for marking pages in field notes? What I really want is a paperclip -- something my finger can find at an instant and flip to and from -- but one that doesn't completely throw me when it's on a page under where I'm trying to write. I've been thinking of trying somethings called page nibs and page darts, but figured I'd check here first

11. Cory

Cory Loaded Pockets

I use a rubber band. Keep it on the front half of the book so its always out of the way. If i need to thumb through my notes the band comes off and on my wrist. Then back before I put the book up

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

This approach can work sort of with paper clips or the like also. I use large butterfly paperclips for bookmarks when I am reading. I just slip the clip onto the cover while reading and then place on pages when I take a break. Same approach would work in a notebook. Not rocket science!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Cprrckwlf likes this.
  13. James A. Cathcart

James A. Cathcart Loaded Pockets

14. James A. Cathcart

James A. Cathcart Loaded Pockets

That would be the Maxped Mini (the size bigger than the micro). Fits the Field Notes like a glove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

15. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

@Cory @Moshe ben David Thanks for the responses guys, I think I gave the wrong idea in my 1st post. I don't want to mark my place so much as multiple, individual pages (you mean people put paperclips on more than a single page? Madness!).

I might be writing on page 25 and want to be able to jump back directly to page 3 where I might have a calendar and page 12 where there's a to-do list. Knowing me, actually, I could just as easy be on page 25 and want to jump back to 12 and forward to some note on 32. I'd say at any given time I have a "current" page and at least two pages of reference. Clips on opposite edges (and I write in landscape) also help me select exactly where I'm going.

Basically, I want to "dog-ear" (and un-dog) pages here and there, but the thin book makes finding them by feel rough. I've been using tiny paperclips which work well as a nail nick, but get in the way when they are below the area of the page I'm writing on.

It's idiosyncratic as much as anything, and has a tinge of inventing a problem, but it's how I like to work. Partly from a need to rapidly find and/or record interstitial information while also doing things like taking full lecture notes. Partly I think from the habit of rolling pages to check drawings underneath (long, long ago I was an animator).

Anyway, for now I think I'm going to try trimming down some post it flags or tabs to better fit the scale of the book, and see if they damage things when being moved around.

16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Cprrckwlf: yeah, if that's what you want I think Post It flags are the way to go. I keep a pad with me at all times; one of those multi-colored ones. Not sure if it is Post It by brand or a clone, but somewhere I picked one up where the tabs are some sort of colored but translucent plastic rather than paper. Maybe they'd work better for you. Might have been in a supermarket. Don't have the brand name or anything; sorry to tempt you and not be able to give you better info!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

jolico likes this.
  17. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

I went with these "Book Darts" come in bronze (these), brass and steel, and run something like $.10 per as long as you get a decent size tin (there's a 50 ct. that works out to much more/per). Nice quality tin, too.

They aren't quite as good a nail nick as a paperclip, but they work well enough for that. Don't bug me when writing and are easy to move around. They hold well on a standard field notes (you can slide them without too much trouble if needed), even better on some of the editions which sometimes have heavy paper. (Like the Lunacy in the picture that are so nice I haven't yet brought myself to use them for my normal mess of things.) You can have a batch in a single booklet (I've got 4 on my current one) without adding any appreciable thickness, which is very nice.

2 Clipped to the page so you can see what they look like front and back.

All-in-all an excellent solution for what I wanted and I'm sure will also come in handy for their intended mark the line use.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#617 Cprrckwlf, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  18. exhyphen

exhyphen Empty Pockets

I've been using FN notebooks (in addition to others) for a few years.. After I found out what carrying a FN notebook in your pocket does to it, I made a few iterations of holders. My latest is around 2 years old, and so is the notebook in the pictures. I still carry this one around (my random-ideas notebook), so this is how it looks after that long, carrying it in this case (in front pants pocket).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Replete and Melders like this.
  19. DAVPHINS

DAVPHINS Empty Pockets

Do you sell these? Great way to carry FN's. I carry several myself and I've been looking for a way to carry them together

20. Judge Holden

Judge Holden Loaded Pockets

Love these lil guys and one lasts about 6 weeks. Make great gifts, too. I might need a subscription.