1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Endless search for the perfect EDC pack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Theo, May 11, 2015.

1. Edamhcneb
    • In Omnia Paratus

Edamhcneb Loaded Pockets

Big backpack problem here. I have been through an unimaginable amount of bags in the past couple of years and am embarrassed to say, that even after a huge sell-off, I still have about 10. Only recently, have I tried to focus on "less is more" (in terms of organization). I find that the more organizational pouches and panels a bag has, the more "Crap" I try to stuff into the bag (most of which I never use).

I currently carry a GoRuck GR1 that seems to suit all of my needs with respect to EDC for work, personal items and even doubles as a gym bag. For now, I think I've found a pretty good compromise. Time will tell.... and besides, I still have all of the others to fall back on.. :-/

bigfoot, NeWt and Theo like this.
  2. Theo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Theo Loaded Pockets

I have the maxpedition Sitka, and I like the sling concept. I suppose the only reason I don't use it more often was its size(small) an the fact that it had too much of a military look and color scheme for a urban/business environment (again, molly on the outside).

Edamhcneb likes this.
  3. GearHunter

GearHunter Loaded Pockets

I fought that battle for years and years....but alas fellow carriers of gear I've found it. For me anyway it's the TAD EDC. On my second one and couldn't be happier. I went thru more then 20 bags of all kinds until I found this one. If it's too big for warm weather then the 1st gen litespeed is a great fill in ( just sold mine and am now searching for a new one....don't ask...). Now of course everyone is different but it can be a battle that you win....of course the down side is once you have proclaimed success to your wife it's hard to go bag shopping.......

gearheavy, bigfoot and Edamhcneb like this.
  4. CGRobert

CGRobert Loaded Pockets

Lets see... I've tried maxped versipack, jumbo versipack, mongo versipack, h4 kato, 3v posse, malgata, sitka, MOAB 6, and javelin 2.0. I'm currently using the Javelin, and overall I like it, but...
    The main interior compartment uses padded velcro pieces to segment the compartment, but they allow things to slip and slide throughout the main compartment. I don't like how it's meant to be laid against your body and opened horizontally. I need pockets, pouches, organization. I'm wondering if my answer is just to buy a pouch of pouches and throw them into the bag. I prefer the sling bag look to the backpack, because you can get away with bringing a sling bag into some places but not a backpack. I don't carry a whole lot of gear with me. I want to carry more but if it gets all jumbled and disorganized I'll lose my marbles. Hence why I haven't added more stuff to the kit.

Nighted likes this.
  5. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Ah, the perfect backpack, or shall we say the elusive white whale.

I wish I could just find someone who would make one to my general specifications.....

The closest I've been has been with the TAD FastPack EDC. All it needed to be "the one" was the full circumference zipper of the Litespeed pack.

6. Theo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Theo Loaded Pockets

I can feel your pain, I would hate to know how many I have. I came across a Jansport the other day that I purchased in the mid 70's. Many are just used as storage bags for things like scuba gear, climbing gear, Flying gear, tools, first aid/rescue....

I've heard nothing but good things about the GoRuck line, I was considering the GR1 as well as the CB urban assault when I pulled the trigger on the TB Synapse 25. For now, I'm going to force myself to adapt what I have, we'll see how long I last.

Edamhcneb likes this.
  7. GearHunter

GearHunter Loaded Pockets

Amen brother. I think it's the only thing I would add...the way tad is changing it up a bit I'm looking for a 6th gen EDC soon and that's the only change I'm hoping for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbfu likes this.
  8. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

I have the Javelin also. It would have been perfect had they put hook & loop inside the admin pocket on the front. Luckily it's a good size pocket for many organizers out there.

My opinion is that the way Vanquest have added sleeves to stash things is kind of arbitrary and for me is almost completely useless as there is no way to secure anything without it sliding around on that slippery nylon interior, especially the large sleeves that are sideways when carrying on my back...why no zippers or hook & loop Vanquest?

Also, why they put more pen sleeves in there is baffling. The side admin pocket is more than adequate for several pens and notebooks. Vanquest, if you read this, make that admin pocket with hook & loop or webbing so the end user can take a modular approach. You can also make more products that can be purchased to add on to such a system.

Great bag though. I love it.

9. CrezyMunky

CrezyMunky Loaded Pockets

I have been through roughly 20 or so backpacks. Turns out that the tactical look is just too much for normal use. I leave one bag in the car with the stuff I want all the time, and a messenger bag with two grip it's inside, one large one small. Working out the best for me for about 2 years now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigfoot and GearHunter like this.
  10. Theo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Theo Loaded Pockets

I do adhere to a multi-bag concept. Car has a fatty organizer in the console, a large medical trama backpack and adventure medical first aid kit in the trunk, and if going out of town a Maxpedition MPB set up as a BOB/Get Home Bag.

Everything but the backpack is set up just the way I want it.

CrezyMunky likes this.
  11. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

I gave up trying to fight it......I like back packs,plain and simple. ;-)
    I could happily get by with just my Xray.....but what fun would that be ?

Mike

Myrddraal likes this.
  12. Kravhiker

Kravhiker Loaded Pockets

13. Kravhiker

Kravhiker Loaded Pockets

That's my bag, the Maxped Kodiak with a Hazard 4 Pouch attached.

14. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Loaded Pockets

This may be a question I should know the answer to, but is there anyone out there that makes custom packs? Even if it cost me $400-$500 it would be worth having the exact bag I want.

15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Myself, I like zero organization, no daisy chains..... nothing extra. I've seen packs that weigh more than my load out. Still never seen a person on the trail with a popular pack on this forum. Never.

Airmechqa and bigfoot like this.
  16. Theo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Theo Loaded Pockets

the truth is, I think that even if I designed it from the ground up, once I got it, I would find problems with it. Equipment changes and evolves. Its not like the people who design these backpacks don't know what they are doing. I see some absolute brilliance in design, and serious efforts to create quality products. There are just to many variables, people are built different, they carry different stuff, for different purposes, in different environments, with different expectations.

I'm just wondering if If my approach to this problem may be some what backwards. As strange as it sounds perhaps I should start with a pack that I like and fill it based on the design of the pack.

17. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Loaded Pockets

I agree equipment changes and new designs are created that are great. I am a creature of habit, so usually stick with something (not just packs) for a long time. I would love to be able to sit down with someone and say I am looking for A, B, C and D and pay them to make it.

There are a few packs that have some things I want, but then are lacking. That is going to be the case no matter what. But, I would rather dump one chunk of change and get 90% there than have three or four packs that may only be 75% of the way there.

18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well I don't think a trail pack and EDC pack are remotely the same thing either,do you?

At least they don't always need to be.

I know when I am hiking I prefer a North Face pack that I have used for 25 years or a Kelty that is somewhat smaller depending on my trip but for EDC I am mainly carrying a Mobile Office loadout with some basic survival/comfort stuff thrown in to the mix.

So I understand your comment but I am not sure it is a fair comparison for me either?

I am sure too that we each need our own load and mix of stuff which is what makes me follow this site in the first place just to get an idea of the stuff different than mine.
    You know the stuff that I don't know I need yet?!?

Mumbojumboo and GearHunter like this.
  19. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

The beauty of the bag hunt is it never ends and searching for the "better" one is just an excuse . You may have a favourite but no way it will be perfect. This is what's driving EDC passion, the constant search!

GearHunter likes this.
  20. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

That's the stuff that can lead to needing a new bag you didn't know you couldn't live without :)