1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The EDCF Cat Thread

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by B.Haven, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Dustin.G

Dustin.G Loaded Pockets

haha, not sure the seriousness of the question.......or do you mean boss of whole house, or among the pets? well, id like to think im the boss, but the cats and the wife dont listen to me hahaha. kids and the dog do!

the gray cat gets alpha on the calico, I'm pretty sure he thought he was the boss before the dog got here. The dog punks him regularly, the gray cat mostly just takes it laying down, but every now and then the claws come out, and when they do, you see a BIG attitude change in the pup lol.

Funny though, the dog is very sweet to the girl cat, doesnt mess with her much, but he pokes the boy cat with his nose all day long, almost like he punching him with his face

malraux72 likes this.
  2. RGRAY

RGRAY Loaded Pockets

3. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hope she gets better. But my question is, is that a Russian blue cat?

shadowolf713 likes this.
  4. shadowolf713

shadowolf713 Loaded Pockets

She is all better now.
    As far as your question, I am not familiar with the breed. However, she was adopted from a local petsmart.

Are there any traits or characteristics other than the coat that would help me figure it out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

5. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't know very much about cat breeds, but here's what I've found:

Russian Blue
    Country of Origin:Russia
    Color:Blue-coated
    Coat:Seems to be frosted with powdered sugar.
    Best Home:Ideal for those who lead a quiet, subtle, calm lifestyle.
    Appearance:The mesmerizing, emerald green eyes are large and round and set wide apart.

And another very similar to this one and with far more info:

Chartreux
    Country of Origin:France
    Color:Any shade of blue-gray, from ash to slate, with the tips lightly brushed with silver.
    Grooming: Despite the coat's thickness, it requires little maintenance. Running your fingers through the fur removes loose hair from the thick undercoat. Owners often comb the cat more for interaction than grooming.
    Best Home:Chartreux generally adapt to any lifestyle. Their days combine short energy spurts and mellow relaxation. "I often find my cats laid out on the floor sound asleep," says Mary Ann Sweeters, CFA Breed Council secretary for the Chartreux. "They have a tendency to play at full speed for 15 minutes and then they just crash." While they can be "couch potatoes," they are not necessarily lap cats. They enjoy interaction with people and develop favorite games such as "fetch."
    Personality:Owners often find themselves negotiating an agreement with these intelligent cats about behavior. These friendly and devoted cats tend to pick a favorite person and form strong bonds with the family dog. Although Chartreux communicate in squeaks and chirps, they can create a large, rumbling purr.
    Appearance:The robust body features a broad chest and relatively fine-boned legs. The broad head, with powerful jaws and pronounced cheeks, terminates with a small, tapered muzzle. Blue remains the only acceptable color for this cat, although it may vary from light ash to deep slate. The mature adult should have a silver-tipped, woolly, dense coat. The eyes should be brilliant orange.

kkay and shadowolf713 like this.
  6. shadowolf713

That is about what I found in my search. The only disqualifying factor for Marina is her eyes are not the vivid green. She's got green eyes, but they're apt to change to yellow in different light settings.

Thanks for the great info! We know she does the fetch better than our dogs do.

7. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

shadowolf713, there is a breed called a Korat, that I first thought of when I saw the heart-shaped nose. Does her fur have a striped or halo effect in the light? The Korat also likes to "talk" and fetch.

Here's a description:
    The Korat has a unique color, defined as silver-tipped blue, which gives it a shimmering shine. The color appears to absorb light, giving a “halo” effect. It is a short, single and close-lying coat. Their hair does not float off when they are stroked or petted, so most people with allergies to cat hair find their proximity tolerable. The roots are lighter with color increasing in shade up the shaft to a deeper blue until it reaches the tips, which are silver. The silver tipping is more prevalent on the muzzle and toes. The Korat only comes in the silvertipped blue color.
    The Korat has a unique head structure that is based off of a “heart shape.” There are a total of five hearts associated with the Korat. The head contains three of these heart-shapes: looking straight on at the Korat, you see the Valentine-shaped heart of the head. The second heart is found by looking down over the top of the Korat’s head, and the third heart associated with the head is the nose. The fourth heart can be found in the muscular area of the chest when the cat is in a sitting position. But the most commonly forgotten heart is the one inside the cat! As the Korat matures, the heart shapes become more prominent.
    The Korat’s body is semi-cobby, with a tapering at the waist. They do not appear to have much weight but are surprisingly hefty. The feeling is that of a well-coiled spring! The bulk of the weight is carried towards the front through rounded, well-developed, muscular shoulders. The neck is fairly short and heavy, connecting to a broad chest, with the shoulders somewhat wider than the chest.
    Korats have extraordinary powers of hearing, sight and scent. They form strong bonds with their owners and respond warmly to cuddling, sitting as close as possible. They are very active in play but gentle with children.

kkay and shadowolf713 like this.
  8. shadowolf713

Well, I never took as much interest into the heritage of Marina. Yet y'all have put forth a great mystery!

Marina does have a half effect on her tail, which when startled, looks like a lemur's tail. I won't startle her on purpose, but the next time it happens I'll try to get a picture.

What initially sets this theory down on the ground is the hair shedding. She does not shed much, however when petting some hair does come off. And by some I mean, little tiny bit. Nothing like a long haired dog.

My, my, my, what an intriguing topic we have stumbled upon.

groovster likes this.
  9. shadowolf713

[​IMG]

Here is a different angle.

[​IMG]

She, nor I, were expecting the flash.

10. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

Certainly a beautiful cat.

shadowolf713 likes this.
  11. Ruru

Ruru Empty Pockets

Love my kitties ... sorry but I had to.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    sickening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying to stop us from going away on holiday.

12. Ruru

Ruru Empty Pockets

Oh and this, Tui putting my Hazard 4 photo recon (gen1) through its paces, a few years back.

[​IMG]

Nick4305, kkay, Trickster and 8 others like this.
  13. Gary Lee Duncan

Gary Lee Duncan Loaded Pockets

First generation feral, Cleopatra, displaying violet shaded eyes while possibly pondering why I would want to lift all those heavy weight 'things'.

[​IMG]

Treya, Nick4305, malraux72 and 8 others like this.
  14. Gary Lee Duncan

Gary Lee Duncan Loaded Pockets

We adopted our female tuxedo, Sophie, along with Cleopatra when our neighbors apparently abandoned them after having them declawed. But at least they had been spayed, because we don't allow strays to breed on our property as another neighbor discovered in court after we reported them to code enforcement. Anyway, we sheltered and fed both of them in our garage for over a year until we determined enough was enough and took both to our vet for a check-up and shots. They've been living under our roof ever since.

[​IMG]

Sophie appearing to ask our since departed tribal leader, Pepper, if she could become part of our family too.

[​IMG]

karlito, Trickster, kkay and 4 others like this.
  15. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

Declawing a cat? :eek: That is really messed up... As much as I am against governmental involvement in our private affairs, some things need to be outlawed.

karlito likes this.
  16. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Or the owners need to be similarly "declawed"..... with rusty pliers :mad:. Declawed and the abandoned them..... real poster child for humanity.

ATB,
    Sam

karlito likes this.
  17. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Beau providing some last minute supervision on a cat-related project.

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Sam

malraux72 and Gary Lee Duncan like this.
  18. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Red October providing some much needed supervision during a yard work session.

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Sam

19. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Once again this season, cut-outs have been notched into the base of all the patio shrubs to facilitate cat-napping. Fluff expresses his appreciation in the most eloquent way possible.

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Sam

20. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Beau, relaxed sleep pose #863

[​IMG]

And #864

[​IMG]

And #865

[​IMG]

ATB,