1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The EDCF Cat Thread

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by B.Haven, Jan 11, 2014.

1. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Just finished feeding the siblings their evening portion of wet food (in heated bowls). Braveheart was waiting by the door, but Red October was doing her best princess routine and wouldn't leave her heated shelter until she was positive that food was actually about to be served. I waited outside and had some coffee outside while they were eating so that I could bring in the heated bowls once they were done.

Part way through their meal, "New Cat" (we haven't come up with a good gender neutral name for him/her yet) slinked by the fence line doing his/her best "These are not the 'droids you seek" impression. I expect he/she will avail himself/herself of the kibble buffet as soon as he/she is certain that I am no longer lurking.

"New Cat" is the newest member of the brood of 4 outside cats.... at first mistaken for Braveheart whom he/she resembles except for a rounder face and different orientation of stripes along the back. Just showed up one day in the yard wailng mournfully. Looks well groomed and I originally thought I saw a collar that no longer seems to be there. Would have thought it was too good looking a cat to be a castaway, but I have also seem him/her out in weather than I couldn't fathom an domestic cat to be let out into.

Oh well, at least he/she has found a well-stocked outpost in the wilderness and doesn't seem particularly fight/rumble inclined.

ATB,
    Sam

2. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

When our cat wants to get out, weather is irrelevant. She’ll meow me out of my bed in the middle of the night with a thunderstorm outside. And will come back completely soaked, but you’ll never know when. Sometimes I’ll let her out on the ground floor, and by the time I went to the toilet and got back up to the second floor (British/German counting method), she’ll sit meowing on the balcony and wanting back inside. Other times she’ll be away for some hours or even a day.

3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I am fine with that until it places the cat in harm's way. Wet is one thing. Braveheart doesn't seem to mind wet although he does appreciate getting toweled off and brushed afterwards.... which can be a bit challanging when it is still raining.

Sub-freezing temps, 30-50 mph winds and snow piles that make crossing streets a hazard because driver can't see the cat that's about to bound into the street is another thing. At that point, kitty can sit in the corner and try to raise the dead.

Have to hope for the best for Fluff and New Cat because I don't know where they bed on a regular basis. Braveheart and Red October get a nightly bed check.

One of the reasons I think "New Cat" is homeless with no real idea of exactly when that might have occurred is that he will try to use the annex shelter if Braveheart is either bunking with October in the main shelter or if he can push Braveheart out. The annex is insulated but not heated so it makes one wonder why he/she wouldn't head home.

I have had a cat that adopted us over his own family. Slept in our garden, sunbathed in the barrels of raked leaves waiting to be composted, lounged on the deck. I didn't realize he had a home until his owner decided to replace his collar and name tag. He finally ghosted and I always dreaded the worst.

At least the siblings will answer to me whistling or in the worst case scenario to the cow bell (even if one or the other is slow to respond because they are far afield).

ATB,
    Sam

rangetroop, groovster and Brtsmpsn like this.
  4. Grappler

Grappler Loaded Pockets

The two fuzballs. Rescued both from a woodpile, a few years ago along with the rest of the litter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. nosuchagency
    • +1 Supporter

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

I think one of your gray has a slow leak; he looks a bit deflated. :p

6. Unagi42
    • In Omnia Paratus

Unagi42 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The best time to sneak in a snuggle with our cats is when they are otherwise occupied.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Dumb cat sleeps in the headboard, but not until I put a blanket in there for her to lay on.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

8. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    And the other one is just fat and clumsy.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Long 24 hours. Vet came by this afternoon to help Nikki along to her final rest. At 8+ inches of snow and turning to freezing rain in the evening, it was a blessing to have a vet that makes house calls so Nikki didn't need to be subjected to sub-freezing drafts and the dreaded car ride. 19+ years is good run but still too short. A sophisticated world traveller who spent some time living in Belgium. She loved nothing more than to be brushed in the cat tree.

[​IMG]

Later in the afternoon Red October came by the back door and put on her best look of displeasure about the lousy weather not being part of the contract. I spent a surprisingly long time shoveling for the siblings. Braveheart hates the sound of the shovel on the pavers and decided to temporarily evacute. Red October followed me around as I shovelled to point out spots I missed and chased the snow I sent flying. At one point she thought about jumping over the fence to go out front, but saw it wasn't shovelled and immediated leapt off the fence to the backyard side.

Fluff came by in the evening to eat and then spent some time at the feed station just to stay out of the freezing rain. After more than a year, I still have no idea where he/she beds down. Being a Maine Coon, she's infinitely better suited to the cold weather than two American Short Hairs.

Careful observers will note in the picture of Fluff below the cat size cutouts that have been made at the base of the shrubs to facilitate their use by the cats for transit and as a canopy during light rains. Scientists are still trying to put a name to this disease.

[​IMG]

Was hoping with the weather that the siblings would be content with kibble, but shortly around 9:00pm, they parked themselves by the backdoor and made it clear they weren't leaving without a serving of the good stuff. They have both turned into absolute gravy sluts. So back out to shovel some more the wet snow that had accumulated since the orginal clearing. Out with the heated bowls and I kept them company while they ate in a drizzle of freezing rain.

Hopefully no more accumulation over night, and I will get back to clearing their yard in the morning. Shoveling for the cats actually takes longer than doing the driveway and the sidewalks. I expect the sibs are bedded down for the night. Hopefully New Cat makes his/her way to the annex shelter and Fluff is out of the weather where he/she beds down for the night.

ATB,
    Sam

10. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

That's the most beautifull picture I've seen on the Internet for a while.
    It brought a huge smile to my otherwise grumpy old face :)

11. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

indigo_wolf sorry for the loss of your furry friend. Sounds like you provided her a happy long life, I am sure she will be missed.

patientcero, tmedina and Unagi42 like this.
  12. Unagi42
    • In Omnia Paratus

Unagi42 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks mate!

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  13. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

indigo_wolf, so sorry for the loss of your friend. She couldn't have asked for a better human.

I made a comment earlier today in the angry/mildly upset thread that I now see was out of place. I wasn't thinking with the full set of facts in the moment and I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm deleting that comment. You do more for your furry friends than they could ever repay you for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

vinniec5 and Brtsmpsn like this.
  14. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Indigo, sorry about Nikki.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  15. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

16. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

No problem.... sometimes it's hard to tell it's hard to fully tell what's happening on the other side of everyone's respective keyboards.

ATB,
    Sam

17. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Restless night.... took a late day nap. Woke up to a heavy weight on my chest, staring into green eyes, broken lawn mower purr.

Translation: "Did you happen to notice how empty my food bowl is?"

She could be dangerous with thumbs....

ATB,
    Sam

18. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Lousy pic, but a fun time to watch...Dork playing with Dot (laser pointer). :)

[​IMG]

19. GrayMouser

GrayMouser EDC Junkie!!!!!

20. GrayMouser

GrayMouser EDC Junkie!!!!!