1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The EDC of Guns

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Sachmo, May 31, 2013.

1. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

As tempting as that is, I wouldn't risk it. I'm afraid, a snag of the shirt while sliding in-out of a restaurant booth, an observant cop, or any other potential unintended exposures, and I've lost my right to carry forever.

2. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

I thought I made that point with the car analogy, so what exactly would you like me to think about?
    Yes responsibility is required everywhere, the decision to take on certain responsibilities can carry more weight than others is all I was saying, the things I decide to carry as my EDC usually have specific uses as does a firearm. I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape when something is said about the EDC of firearms other than how great it is. I don't think it is children that have much to fear about your average armed citizen using their gun to harm them so I'm not sure how kids ended up in the discussion, but my concern for kids IS why I don't EDC my pool.

3. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

I suspect he carries in a state where the laws differ. Here in WA, signs carry no legal weight. They basically are similar to a sign saying "no one with purple underwear allowed". Bottom line is the laws vary by state and you need to know the law where you carry.

-john

ac7ss likes this.
  4. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

You beat me to it, Washington has a no local preemption law. Seattle tried to outlaw sidearms in city parks, but it is against state law to do so. (They can trespass you however, if you are caught.)

5. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

They can ask you to leave if you are caught. You only can be charged with trespass of you refuse to leave.

-john

SAKplumber and ac7ss like this.
  6. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Concealed means concealed.

SAKplumber likes this.
  7. tamaders

tamaders Loaded Pockets

EDC everywhere I legally can but work ... Where its prohibited by my employer to do so (unfortunately). Alabama just passed a law however which makes it illegal for employers to prohibit its employees from at least keeping it in their vehicle on company property so that's progress!

Lately it's been my XDs but I'll occasionally carry a NAA .22 mag which is tiny enough to carry with ANY attire. If I'm really feeling frisky I'll carry both!

8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I wasn't speaking to you specifically. It was a general statement that we should all be a little more careful and openminded while we try to reason our way to the truth. I'm sorry if you took it as a personal attack. That is not what I intended.

People's feathers get ruffled because it is a fundamental right that is under attack here in the US. Much the same would, or, given what has gone on lately with the DOJ and the news industry, perhaps I say "should" happen when we talk about our 1A right to free speech. It is human nature for a group to be defensive or touchy when they are under a relentless philosophic assault.

scbubba and CSM-101 like this.
  9. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I carry everywhere legal except the office, since it's not worth losing my job over, I feel safe at work, and it's not far from home, but I know nobody would notice if I did, so I could if I felt a need to. My last job was much farther so I kept it in the car in case anything came up on the commute. I know of a bunch of guys at the office who have their permits also. It is a pretty common thing in most of the country, though I didn't realize that when I lived in CA either.

10. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

11. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

That is the case in Oklahoma. It you get "caught" and are asked to leave, you can be charged with trespassing if you fail to comply. However, it IS illegal to carry at schools and local, state, or federal locations, e.g. Fair grounds, city hall, federal building. Parks are the exception.

12. breakingcontact

breakingcontact Loaded Pockets

I came to EDC from the firearms/military world. Carrying is perfectly normal to me. Now the EDC gear/bag I'm still trying to figure out.

13. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I've never seen a No Guns sign here in WA, other than places alcohol is served, schools or courthouses; places I avoid if possible. I carry 95% of the time and I feel that concealed means just that; nobody gets to know unless its an emergency. I carry in church and my family has an Active Shooter plan.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

14. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm a Virginia CHP holder since 1996 and I usually have a handgun nearby, but not always on my person. I dislike off-body carry but I've never worked anywhere that allowed employees to carry, so I'm left with the choice of leaving it in my vehicle, or not having one with me at all. (I do work at a business with a secured parking lot, so I feel safe with leaving it there.)

I do (sorry) tend to carry even if the business has a "no weapons" policy, my understanding of the law is I'm not doing anything illegal unless I am told to leave and then come back (from vdcl.org Private property when prohibited by owner (ยง18.2-308.O & trespass violation)). Also I tend to make this counter argument, "I'm not carrying a weapon, I'm carrying a TOOL"

The personal property question is a sticky one, I'm a believer in personal property rights, but I also feel that, as a citizen of a state that has granted me the right to carry a handgun that any business that bans me while carrying is discriminating against me, as I am not breaking any laws by doing so.

+1 +1000

As someone once said "I'm mad as :censored: and I'm not going to take this anymore!" I am SICK AND TIRED of being treated like a criminal by the government and the media just because I choose to exercise my God given right to bear arms in order to protect myself and my family.

scbubba and kertap75 like this.
  15. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Well, perhaps I should clarify then. If I did have a gun and a licence to carry it, I'd feel responsible for keeping said gun safe. Outside my own home, I just couldn't take the chance that it might get lost or stolen, so I'd have to carry it on my person at all times. And that's where the weight and bulk comes in. I wouldn't want to carry a 1 kg lump on my belt all the time for nothing. Considering that "violent crime" over here means drunks brawling in the bars or their own homes (both easily avoided), the bother to utility ratio of carrying a gun would be abysmal.

Dok J and Sachmo like this.
  16. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

It's true that most days you won't need your gun, or your seat belt, or your fire extinguisher, or your dental insurance, and most of the time they're just dead weight and expense that you'd be just fine without. Some of us choose to keep those things handy anyway, just in case.

scbubba and T.H.Cone like this.
  17. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

I don't know that i considered it a personal attack, but i don't like being quoted out of context; which you did.

18. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

I would say the majority of people on here the post pics of handguns carry them. If a holster is in the pic the definitely. I myself am legally packing and carry it everywhere I can do so legally.

19. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I know, and good for you! We are all different and you can carry a gun if you want (provided it's legal). Heck, you can carry a parachute if you think you might need it some day. :) I'm not saying everyone should think like I do, not at all, just trying to explain why I personally wouldn't. I'm also saying this because some of the gun people are so closed to any viewpoint other than their own. You know, just to give a different view. This is not a gun forum, there's room for other opinions as well.

scbubba, kertap75 and SAKplumber like this.
  20. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Better to have and not need than to need and not have

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta