1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

THE-E Pocket Organizer

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by jdindadell, Dec 6, 2015.

1. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

My 1st review here. Many more to come!

I was skimming through the DIY section and saw the post by the original inventor of the E pocket organizer. Did a search and found OV Innovations and ordered one up for testing. I have no affiliation with OV Innovations or the actual mfg, CDH-Tac Finland.

OV has a nice website, ordering was easy and shipping was reasonably priced. Delivery was quicky. No issues at all with the service.

Initial impressions, upon opening the package:

Very well made, quality materials. As good or better than maxped or vanquest.
    Thin, at the beginning with it empty I wondered if it would be able to fit what I was planning...
    Same size as a maxped edc, so not really pocket friendly for everything I wear.
    Bottom clamshell opening, not sure if that is a plus or minus. Turned out to be a non issue.
    Plenty of interior storage, however layout was making me wonder at the beginning.
    No exterior "stuff" save for a grab handle.

Pics of exterior, it is loaded up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Figured I would give it a try. Pics below show my semi-polished loadout. Not going to list it as most items are obvious/common.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front and rear contents:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After staring at it for a while and digesting the number of slip pockets (3 interior, 2 exterior zippered, and a split open exterior pocket) I decided that a lot of my desired contents could be packed flat and stacked horizontally in modded ziplocs. My FAK went into a sectioned ziploc in the interior pocket on one side, allowing items to stack and thus not be as thick. Notecards and a stainless ruler live on the other side. Leaves me with one interior pocket unused, for future items, probably a bandana/hanky. The front exterior zip pocket holds my leatherman bit cards, this pocket is slightly gusseted so it can handle thicker items if needed. The split slip pocket is probably meant for pens or a long skinny knife? but works great to hold some cord and zipties on one side, and a few single edge blades in the other. Rear zip pocket has a thin battery backup by monster (all my packs have some sort of backup battery).

As you can see it holds quite a lot of stuff, just in a different way than I am used to with maxped and to a certain degree, vanquest. I was very surprised how much would fit in it. It is superior in every way to the maxped edc. It is smaller than the vanquest edcm slim and could likely hold as much. Larger (wider) than the PPM husky which may be more pocket friendly (but likely too heavy with this loadout).

As far as value goes, at 50 bucks it is almost double what the maxped/vanquest cost, the currently reduced price of $35 is more in line with what it should cost, seeing it is a lower volume item and arguably superior. I am very happy with the purchase and plan to use this as a "minimalist" urban pack when I cannot or do not care to carry a larger back.

2. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M Empty Pockets

Excellent Review!!!!!!!!!!

3. CAP5LOCK3D

CAP5LOCK3D Loaded Pockets

I agree. The Maxped EDC pouch never really captured my attention but this is something I wouldn't mind filling with goodies. It does seem to hold quite a bit while retaining that slim profile. Maybe it's just the way you packed it. God job. Oh, what method did you use to resize those ziplocs?

QuodErat likes this.
  4. CAP5LOCK3D

CAP5LOCK3D Loaded Pockets

Maybe it seems slim to me because many of the images of the Maxped EDC Pocket Organizer are of it just packed to the gills.

QuodErat likes this.
  5. jdindadell

Thank you!!!!

To resize the ziplocs I used a vacuum food sealer. Designed to remove the air from a bag then heat seal the edge. I only used the heat seal feature, of course. Then cut off the excess part of the bag.

Due to the amount of pockets this organizer is likely thicker than a maxped edc when both are empty. However that is not really very useful as we do not use these empty! I do feel it offers more organizing potential depending on how you pack it and the type of items packed. If all of your items are fat and short it may not be the answer as they would tend to fall in the pockets and bulk up at the bottom making it impossible to close.

I feel that the maxped edc is the least useful size of the available options. Not being able to effectively use the top 1/3 makes it a space waster. Vanquest is a better bet, but not quite 100% optimum.

QuodErat and jag-engr like this.
  6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Awesome idea, jdindadell! I have obtained little "dime bag" type sacks, but their seals are inferior to ziploc and they are usually lighter duty than I want and often barely too small for my intended use. Using you method, I could make custom ziploc bags!

Off to look at vacuum food sealers...

QuodErat and kertap75 like this.
  7. jdindadell

If they just made some sort of heat sealer without the vacuum it would be optimum for this. Trying to fit the excess bag in the vac channel can be awkward. I only use it cause it was a wedding gift, thus free!

8. Oldcoyote

Oldcoyote Empty Pockets

Which pocket do you carry it in?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9. jdindadell

It would likely fit in a bdu side pocket... It is really too big to be used in a regular pants or shorts pocket. Better to go with a maxped micro or code alpha walking wallet for pocket use. Reviews of both to come!

10. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

If anyone has one of these to sell, I'd be very interested. OV Innovations won't make anymore and a slim width admin pocket with a zip around the sides pouch is apparently extremely rare. This is is exactly what I want.