1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Decline of Leatherman Quality with Budget Offerings

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by T.H.Cone, Mar 18, 2015.

1. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Most unions are now redundant and don't serve the purpose they were originally formed to serve, namely protect workers. There are definitely places where they're appropriate, such as for performers(see Wil Wheaton's blog for his entry as to why his union was considering a strike) or players associations for major sports(imagine the chaos in those leagues without CBAs and such). But unions like UAW only impede the cause of the American manufacturing sector and the American worker. They actually impede capitalism here, by artificially controlling wages and conditions, which then causes the companies to seek non-American labor, because the market still works even if the unions divert it.

T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

My old 3 series was built in Alabama, iirc. It was American. I know that.

Anyway....I got a wingman a little while ago, mostly wanting a file and to consolidate my skeletool cx and style ps.... Yeah, it feels cheaper than both of them. I think I could break the blade with my hands. I don't think I'll ever use it.

The only thing I didn't like about the skeletool is that the pliers aren't sprung and its a little uncomfortable to really squeeze. But...compared to feeling like a cheap piece of junk....meh.

Brtsmpsn and T.H.Cone like this.
  3. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

As you might imagine, I have an entirely different take on the subject, but I'll agree to disagree on it. Most people who post here have their own outlook on things, and I respect that.

4. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Same.

I just prefer actual capitalist free markets, which includes labor, and which we don't have, union plant or not. The problem is not unions in general; it's when the unions do things that cause natural market reactions that involve companies downsizing and offshoring and such. A lot of the benefits of a union are given to the worker by a true free market. For example, a true free labor market guarantees a worker is paid what they deserve without need for a strike. If they're underpaid, they find a new job with a company that pays what the market sets for a given worker's skills and experience. I know that's easy to say but sounds hard in the current job "market". But in that free market, there is almost certainly going to be someone willing to pay you for the labor you're willing to perform.

5. BASguy

BASguy Empty Pockets

Well, labor issues aside it would be great if Leatherman would put a fresh focus on QC and ditch the whole budget tool offering if they can't make them cheap and retain the quality.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

6. GearGuy69

GearGuy69 Loaded Pockets

Wait you got them for free?
    where i live i rarely get gear for free and most gear is over priced, unless i order it somewhere from ebay but with all the shipping costs the prices are almost even :(
    i do have a wingman though but it's signed by tim leatherman so i never use it, but i have all my other leathermans and other mt's i use so there's i'm not complaining.

Brtsmpsn, ManVsLawn and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Yup, I just happen to shop somewhere that always runs some sort of promotion where you get a little "gift".

8. GearGuy69

GearGuy69 Loaded Pockets

That's great i think i'm gonna pick up a sidekick soon, because the wingman clip is great on my belt so i don't have to use a sheath with it and i already have the wingman so i guess i could get the sidekick for my collection and to use of course.

Brtsmpsn, dplafoll and T.H.Cone like this.
  9. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

I thought the exact same thing! Apparently things have been changing. Just the other day I read the latest CR (Consumer Reports) and Honda lost another 4 places in the reliability rating dropping them to the middle bracket and being surpassed by Buick no less.

BTW this isn't in the "budget" line, apart from a slightly odd edge grind on the main blade (I guess this is still the rookie job at the factory?), my Gen2 Surge is fantastic, solid and smooth.

T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  10. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just to add a second point of view- I have a very small sample size of the tool line mentioned (one Wingman) but mine was bought (from the big river site) at about the same time as the shoddy ones from OHIC. Mine is tight and good quality. It's not as "polished" as the more expensive tools and the pliers head isn't as snug (it can't be if the spring is going to work) but I don't expect that from a tool of the price.

So not all tools made around the same time as the bad ones were crap. Mine is date stamped October 2014 if that makes a difference.

11. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

Yeah you know, made with MIM parts and less reliable .... er wait.

12. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

I have a Kick and a Wave and bought Style CS for my wife. The difference in quality between the Kick and the Wave is pretty obvious, but I had no quality complaints about the Kick. The Style is well-done, too. All three were purchased in the last couple years, too. The Wave is great, and I have fixed all kinds of things with it. Stays in my bag every day (even though I am a student again and don't need it as often).

I wonder if the current Christmas crop of Wingmans and Skeletools are lower in quality like last year.

13. Frenchephaistos

Frenchephaistos Loaded Pockets

Nice gift ! They are $55-60 in Europe, which kinda negates the "budget" part of the sidekick.

14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The only LM remaining in my inventory is the Crunch. I have purged everything else. Auf weidersehen, vaarwel, adieus, zàijiàn. As far as these new offerings, to me they are Gerbermans.

Brtsmpsn, T.H.Cone and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  15. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I got my Sidekick that broke back very quickly from Leatherman. Very good service from Leatherman. Just in time to break the flathead on my Wave. Not even using it remotely hard. Sending the Wave in for repair. Victorinox Spirit X is looking alittle more attractive... It even has an Awl. No clip though :frantic:

[​IMG]