1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Decline of Leatherman Quality with Budget Offerings

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by T.H.Cone, Mar 18, 2015.

1. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

It's a very solid knife, in short, a tank. Highly recommended and you should get one if your budget allows.

2. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

They do excellent work! :cool:

3. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I'll never actually buy one. In real world I don't think the size, weight, and flipper action is practical for me. But alas every time it's on the show I daydream for a minute or two before reality sets in again.

EDIT: But if you ever want to gift me yours, I wouldn't refuse ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

From the little bit of time I've had with it I like it quite a bit. It's taking some getting used to but no major complaints other than the fact the pliers are so far off I barely have any surface area to grasp with. Don't let my predicament discourage you, I've got a good feeling about it and see the potential for it. Hopefully I'll hear back from LM soon as to what we can do to fix the matter. When it comes to aesthetics vs. functionality I'm functionality all the way. I don't mind a crook in the pliers, but that's a little more than I can just ignore, especially when it affects the functionality.

keith1234, mikeylab, Brtsmpsn and 3 others like this.
  5. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

I am referring to any tool they make that does not fall into ones expectations of a quality tool. It could be a Charge TTI if it wasn't assembled correctly, passed Q&A, and made it into the wild. It the tooling, assembly, and Q&A process fails because of some lack of commitment to building quality tools, whether demand is too high, fair wages aren't paid, outsourcing, whatever, the answer is simple correct the current process or make less tools.

I corrected myself, thank you I am aware they are not synonyms. I even conceded that the term was harsh. If you wish to continue down that road PM me instead.

Read my previous statement, if substandard tools are making it into the supply chain then it is time to rethink the process. That's why. If you need a case in point, go look at Gerber, once a strong local knife and tool manufacturer consumed by desire to dominate all market segments, their quality has suffered drastically. I would hate to see that happen to Leatherman. I was a loyal Gerber using 25 year ago, they, at the time, made a better multi-tool, even one handed (as well as their LMF knives)

ManVsLawn, Brtsmpsn and T.H.Cone like this.
  6. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I think Leatherman does the same thing other manufacturers do with that orange box place.. The stuff there isn't quite the stuff you'd get from them.. For example..

I went to a Vermont castings dealer to get a grill a long time ago.. Paid my eight bills and that monster is still going strong almost 14 years later.. The orange box place had Vermont castings grills there too really cheap. My ex father in law bought one expecting the same quality and it just wasn't there.. Come to find out that these grills were branded Vermont castings but not made by them directly but a subsidiary of theirs with parts that don't even match up with the true grills.

I've noticed similar issues with Dewalt tools.. Equipment at these retail orange box places not feeling the same as buying from dewalt

I wouldn't be surprised Leatherman does the same or uses them to rid themselves of the units that did not pass their qa process.

7. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

Since I discovered the awesomeness that is Victorinox my Wave has been relegated to backup tool. Sometimes you need a second pair of pliers. Time was I would have wanted a Surge and a Wingman but talk about their quality across some other forums put me off.

ManVsLawn, T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  8. GatorMedic

So many testy responses in this thread today... I want no part of it. I'm going back to enjoying basketball; y'all have fun

9. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

We should start harping on the suffering quality of college basketball team play due to the one-and-done phenomenon! :)

ManVsLawn, T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  10. mikeylab

mikeylab Loaded Pockets

thanks! let us know how/if Leatherman helps you.

Loc-Nar, ManVsLawn, T.H.Cone and 2 others like this.
  11. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

Agreed :) Long week, sorry it was reflected in my responses

12. GatorMedic

You do not want me to get started on that rant... As a diehard college basketball junkie I can talk your ear off on my opinion on that subject and then I would be testy lol

13. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

Loc-Nar My OHT pliers have a very slight amount of play and line up perfectly unless I put pressure on them as in this picture:

[​IMG]

I'd send them in, they'll likely swap it out for another OHT. I see what you mean about getting the camera to focus.

Loc-Nar, keith1234, Brtsmpsn and 2 others like this.
  14. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

T.H.Cone Interesting observation and discussion. One possibility that you may have discounted but could these 'discounted' items actually be forgeries? It can be very difficult to tell visually sometimes. Poor quality is often the telling factor. It's almost surprising that we don't hear about more cases as Leatherman as a premium brand would be a target. One way to find out might be to send to Leatherman warrenty anyway to complain about the poor quality

15. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

DeepBlue, I hadn't considered that. It's hard to imagine that big orange would be selling out and out fakes. there wasn't any fed flags with the packaging; it even had the LM Tool Guide int their. Since you brought it, I just spent the last five minutes comparing them side by side and I don't really think they are counterfeits.

Lou_G, Brtsmpsn and ManVsLawn like this.
  16. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is a rather novel, interesting, and highly plausible suggestion.

What if, like Boker, there are different grades of tools coming from different areas?

and the Flome Despot/Flowes get the worst batches at the cheapest prices?

17. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I would bet that the quality issues are simply a matter of volume. Companies these days will take larger orders than they normally would produce and quality often suffers because of it. Add in a deadline for the increased production and the problems get amplified.

Lou_G, keith1234 and Brtsmpsn like this.
  18. TheKojack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheKojack Loaded Pockets

I could see that being the case much like a John Deere mower bought from a box store is not in any way the same John Deere that would be bought at an equipment dealer. It's a completely different "grade" of machine.

Boker does that as well but they distinguish between their lines. Tree Brand, Böker Plus, Böker Arbolito etc. I don't believe leatherman has different grades as far as branding goes. However, that doesn't mean it's not what is happening.

Lou_G, keith1234, ManVsLawn and 2 others like this.
  19. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

I think the typical market for the Christmas special tools needs to be considered as well. Most of tools will be purchased by people that will rarely use it or carry it. They may not be aware of the typical quality of Leatherman offerings.

They will be stocking stuffers opened and used for opening packages and putting together toys Christmas morning then forgotten about in a toolbox or junk drawer. If one of us gets one we question the quality because it does not compare to our other tools. The best course of action may be to either avoid the Christmas sales or get one and wait til after the holidays and send it to Leatherman for a decent replacement.

Lou_G, keith1234, ManVsLawn and 2 others like this.
  20. TheKojack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheKojack Loaded Pockets

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to say in this post....

The OP isn't comparing across the entire Leatherman line. He is clearly comparing a single model over the course of however many years. One model with a notable decline in quality over time, along with the possible correlation in where said model has been bought. The variety of what the Leatherman brand serves isn't being brought into question, nor is the range of affordability they offer.

Granted, one individual purchasing a dozen or so of a single model spanning the course of 5-10 years and noting a steady decline in quality isn't exactly as involved as a cohort study. Saying that the quality is acceptable because of the price point is a ridiculous statement though. If that were true the quality of a lower priced item would not only have never been good, it wouldn't even have been good enough to notice a decline in fit and finish over the time-span stated.