1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Decline of Leatherman Quality with Budget Offerings

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by T.H.Cone, Mar 18, 2015.

1. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

To be honest don't know the answer question based on how/what you asked. Lets put it this way, when I say the original I mean before they changed out my multiple flat-heads for a bit driver. I don't have a bit driver in mine.

I literally bought my first one within the first year it came out. I remember it like it was yesterday. For years I had on my belt the Kershaw MT with the locking pliers and I have to say it was more handy than the Wave for the locking feature but it was long and awkward. So when I discovered the Wave and loved the fact the blades were accessible from the outside like the Kershaw I had I was sold. So bought it and used those flat heads a lot especially on the Dell CPi laptops that had that center screw which grounded the entire systemboard and if that screw was loose (which happened multiple times a week of 100's of employees) that flat head was an awesome part of the tool.

But I didn't know much about serrated blades and used it a lot and my sharpening skills on serration just suck, so I wore out the serrations and shipped it to LM to have repaired and based on what I got back, I think they just shipped me back a refurbished one for I notice some things slightly different and it opened up easier/looser. But that aside, it was the same tool.

But again, when I say original it's the one that pre-dates the bit-driver. I sort of wish I had the bit-driver one but only will do that if I have someone to give the Original to. I was thinking of my daughter but her being 12 and the things she is into, it will just get lost and never used.

T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  2. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

Yeah, I got mine around the same time and for the same reasons. It's been a rock-solid performer since day one and I've never had an issue with it.

[​IMG]

3. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

That is exactly how the one I bought looked. The one I got back after it was sent for repairs the "serrated" has ridges on-top of it which I actually like so I can tell by feel which one I want to one-hand open: smooth = straight and ridges = serrated. A small modification provided me the biggest benefit.

Before that I was able to tell for I memorized which blade shared the handle with either the file or the saw. But that requires too much thinking: feeling is better. ;)

BTW nice sheath. I really liked my original velcro version but the velcro eventually wore out after many years later. Then I went with the velcro one after market where you could wear it side-ways but the straps wore-out in a short amount of time so I would only wear it right-side up. Then I got the leather version of wearing it side-ways BUT the strap is so narrow and tight it's :censored: near impossible to get a leather belt through it, and you can forget about getting a cloth belt through it sideways. Now it just sits in my field toolkit and collect dust and some rust. The CX is working just fine with it's sibling the SAK Trekker CAMO of course.

Last edited by speedy, Mar 20, 2015
    gibbsrule9, T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  4. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

All the truly great ones had a wingman or a sidekick at one time or another.
    Batman had Robin, The Green Hornet had Kato, Asterix had Obelix...

By rounding up dozens of em, the Coneman seems to looking at achieving great fame. :eek:

5. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

gibbsrule9
    I have to ask, due to your handle, do you own a ZT301?

Sweet blade, but never had the pleasure of handling.

gibbsrule9, T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  6. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

Manufacturers often produce cheaper products for specific target markets.
    For example, do really think those Black Friday deals, the day after Thanksgiving,
    are the same specs, materials, components or feature set as the products sold
    the previous Fall or Summer?

7. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

TomWelch you are probably right which is why I think they should just stick to what they are good at... producing quality tools for a commensurate price and get out of the junk tool market altogether ;)

keith1234, T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  8. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

What qualifies a Wingman as a "junk tool"?

9. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

Why yes, as a matter of fact, I do.:D

[​IMG]

powerring, keith1234, Lou_G and 5 others like this.
  10. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

A general question, THC, and other owners - would this decline of quality control apply to even the 'upper' end models of Leatherman?

Charge TTI, perhaps? I've rarely seen a bad experience with a Wave....even...

Or does it largely apply to "budget" MT's? Budget is not a bad word here. ;)

granted one does always slip through the cracks..

GatorMedic, T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  11. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I really like that lanyard.:D
    I've never had a premium MT with issues, but I'm sure that a small percentage of anything manufactured will be defective. I would imagine that the high end would be more consistent in the QC over a longer period of time.

Because of the way I've accumulated budget Leathermans, and the fact that I purchased a bunch all at once in December, I think I'm somewhat uniquely positioned to see if the quality is consistent, not that was my intent when I purchased them. I'm not a Swisstool collector who purchased one Wingman and decide to poop on LM.

12. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Leatherman OHT I received yesterday.

13. T.H.Cone

Loc-Nar, do you personally find that level of slop in the pivot acceptable? Can you tell us how much hand pressure you are using to make that happen?

14. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Loc-Nar - thank you for answering !

and THC, of course ;)

I find it unacceptable (no offense, Loc Nar). Those are decent pics. I'd be sending it back to LM..... with a very angry carrier pigeon attached.....:p

Top pic it looks crooked, too, not just...... askew...

keith1234, No Agenda, Loc-Nar and 2 others like this.
  15. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

What are you talking about? Where in any post that I have made did I specify "Wingman"?
    :confused:

Maybe "junk" is a bit harsh and stick with "budget" instead. Regardless, I still they they should get out of the totally over-saturated "budget" tool market and leave that to everyone else.

Last edited by jrandom, Mar 20, 2015
  16. GatorMedic

I figured it was implied in a conversation about the Wingman. If you weren't referring to the Wingman in your statement that Leatherman should get out of the junk tool market, then what Leatherman tools were you referencing?

"Budget" and "junk" are not synonyms.

As an aside, why do you believe they shouldn't capitalize on profits from the budget segment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

No pressure at all. Just had to hold my hand there cause I couldn't my camera to focus on the tip. When closed with no pressure at all it sits exactly like that. And sits just like that when it's encased and not the pliers are not engaged. I emailed them this morning asking about it, but haven't heard anything yet. It looks like the wire cutters at the base of the pliers are what's causing it to separate that much.

18. GatorMedic

Lol you even have a Gibbs lanyard on it :) That's awesome. Every time I see him use it it makes me want one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. mikeylab

mikeylab Loaded Pockets

i was intersted in the oht- let us know how it works out- thank!

20. T.H.Cone

I know the grade schooler who made that. Tell me what color(s) you want an I'll have him make you one.

Gilatabar, CSM-101, ManVsLawn and 4 others like this.