1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Decline of Leatherman Quality with Budget Offerings

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by T.H.Cone, Mar 18, 2015.

1. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

If I am understanding this right the OP is basing this primarily on the Wingman. Furthermore, again assuming I am right on this, that is not a good way to judge quality. Just look at the prices and you will see the Wingman is cheaper in price. It's not due to popularity it's due to the quality of the tool. If you want better quality then you go Wave, Charge, or Surge.

The beauty about LM is they offer variety. While they don't offer modifications and lefty options their designs due allow lefty's to use them comfortably (note I am a lefty), and they do offer more than enough choices to at least get what you need out of the tool.

I own two now: Wave Original and the Skeletool CX. Believe it or not I use the CX more than the Wave and that is a lower end simpler tool. In fact, if someone stole my Wave I wouldn't even know it for I never to never go for it because the CX handles every job I pull it out for. Usually if the CX can't handle it chances are the Wave won't be much better and for that would need a tool specifically design for that particular task which I am sure will be somewhere in one of my tool-bags. Just recently I had to fix a leaky pipe and either of those tools could do that job. Does it make them a bad choice? Nope, just makes them a bad choice for that particular job.

So to conclude, MT are a general tool for most tasks. The cheaper in price the lower the quality, the bigger in price the quality goes up and usually the option in tools do as well. In short you get what you pay for. If you don't like it go see the competitors.

No I do not work for LM or have any affiliation with them other than a long time fan of their products. I tried others and always and I mean always come back to LM. IMHO they are the Ferrari of MT's.

GatorMedic and T.H.Cone like this.
  2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I'm not making a comparison between the low and high ends, I'm speaking specifically between of the seemingly inconsistent quality in the budget line. I have four or five unopened ones. What are the chances the last two I opened we anomalies and the others will be fine?

Now, is it true that you generally get what you pay for and that more expensive stuff is generally better than cheaper stuff? Sure. But I have several budget LMs that have been in use for years that are all tighter than the two I just opened. That raises a red flag for me.

Brtsmpsn and GatorMedic like this.
  3. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Well you are correlating loose to quality. One of my complaints regarding LM's is I found them too tight. Now if they wiggle or/and something is loose then I see your argument. But if it's just easy to open in terms of their previous of mostly being stiff then to me that isn't a quality issue.

With that said, they are excellent about honoring their warranty. I am confident to say if you emailed them directly and setup shipping the one or more tools to them and your issues with them, I am confident you would get the issues addressed. Also, if it's a quality issue that you possibly discovered and the powers that be have yet to hear about it, then you may have been the person to crack the case sort of speak.

Brtsmpsn, GatorMedic and T.H.Cone like this.
  4. T.H.Cone

When I say loose, I'm talking a very loose pivot on the pliers.

As for you condescending attitude, post up a picture of MT collection and I'll take you more seriously.

5. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Guess I read it differently but I didn't think he/she was being condescending... Could be wrong

speedy and T.H.Cone like this.
  6. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Thank you and I wasn't. And I already have posted pics of my CX and SAK Trekker and since my Wave Original is in my car which is outside being covered by the snow and the tone of your recent post, I will pass on taking a pic of that.

Is there an ignore user/poster option? Now that's condescending. :nah_disagree:

GatorMedic and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. T.H.Cone

Two posts in a row, I got the distinct impression Speedy was poking me in the eye and not in the funny, sophomoric way we normally treat each other. I appreciate the different view point. I'm all for the debate. I often stir the pot myself. Stupid humor? I'm the first one to laugh.

It's the snarkiness I could do with out.

REDDEVIL and GatorMedic like this.
  8. T.H.Cone

9. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Well it's distinct I think you meant. But no, I was commenting on the topic. I can't see your eye considering you are wearing a helmet.

But this has already gotten old and you clearly don't like someone challenging you on your statement even though you said you like a good debate. So with that said, good luck to you and LM.

I won't ignore you for now, but if this continues you will be my first I am sure. May the force be with you...always.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  10. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

Sooooo .... About those modifications to the Sidekick/Wingman grip? Maybe some rubberized dip product after scoring up the metal a little?

keith1234, T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  11. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

There are come Cerakote options as well, not sure if it helps the grip or not.

ManVsLawn, keith1234 and T.H.Cone like this.
  12. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

13. T.H.Cone

I know you're new, so I'll clue you in, I've had 100 of discussions with fellow members where the two side were diametrically opposed to each other where everyone walked away still friends. My ability to have a civil conversation is well documented, your's is still in question.

As for ignoring me, it'd be your loss as I provide lots of entertainment here. It's not typically enjoyed by the spelling/grammar police, so it might not be for you.

14. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brother, you seem easily upset.

REDDEVIL, keith1234 and T.H.Cone like this.
  15. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

I posted this in the "Left handed Leatherman" thread and i think the same applies here:

Instead of trying to make everyone happy and dominate the market, focus on lower volume better quality, I for one have no problems paying a little bit more for a better quality tool, knowing that it helps sustain "local" jobs, and knowing that it will more than likely outlast me.

Screw the cheap multi-tool market it is completely overrun with garbage from all over the world, just look at the TSA confiscation auctions if you want an idea of how many junk multi-tools are out there.

16. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Who me...naaa...I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY
    [​IMG]

gibbsrule9 and T.H.Cone like this.
  17. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

Soooooooo back on topic.
    I only have the Charge Tti, so pretty high end, but when I got it, the grind on the blade was HORRIBLE. I can't believe that blade got out of the factory, it was like it was done with a bastard file or a 36 grit belt freehand by a monkey. Very inconsistent. The rest is fine, a little rust on the pllier head but no biggie. I'll buy a Wingman or a Sidekick just to see :)

18. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Now you mention it, on my Original Wave I notice inconsistency on my straight blade as well. Easily fixed by me sharpening it myself on my Sharpmaker but only did it when it was dull. Now that I carry a Trekker and a CX I next to never use that blade but again you aren't the only one.

Brtsmpsn and T.H.Cone like this.
  19. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

With a Wave, it's fine, but try reprofiling a S30V blade! Took forever and it looks like they heat treated that blade pretty hard

T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.
  20. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

speedy When you say Original Wave do you mean the one with 5-pointed TR screws?

keith1234, T.H.Cone and Brtsmpsn like this.