1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Mecha04, Jul 9, 2008.

1. turbo chicken

turbo chicken Empty Pockets

-saw it sunday .... awesomeness.
    -I went in with the thinking that the movie was overhyped as well as the performances (more specifically Ledger's). But I have to say that the acting was awesome and there definately was a kind of emersion with Ledger's performance in the joker. The batman movies are all decent movies. This one is no exception.
    -only complaint i have (same with batman begins as well) is Bale's batman voice... it's eh just wierd. But that's just my opnion sure other love the Bale "batman voice".
    -The hype with the movie overall is/was definately deserved!
    -I'll probably go see it again in a couple of weeks... cause this will be one that will probably skip the dollar movie as usually really good movies seem to do. But i don't mind paying full price to see it again.

This movie now ranks up there on the good movie list.

2. Stelth

Stelth Banned

You really saw the other Batman movies and still thought that???
    The one with Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze was possibly the worst movie I ever saw. Did you relly think it was "decent"? If so I know I'll hate this new one.

3. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Saw it on Saturday. Excellent movie! O0

4. turbo chicken

turbo chicken Empty Pockets

My favorite was the first one from 89 with "Jack's Joker" if you will. The Dark Knight beats that one for sure. And now tops the list. Batman and Robin wasn't that bad. Cheezy sure... but not so bad i'd never watch it again.

Trust me you will not be dissapointed in this movie! It's the best one yet.

5. Stelth

Stelth Banned

I saw two complete Batman films with Michael Keaton;  the first was okay, the second not so much.  I've seen enough of the others to discontinue watching midstream due to lack of interest.  Perhaps my age (40) has something to do with my opinion of these films but I think they're made for teenagers and the huge amount of buzz surprises me.  I think "superhero" films are corny and too formulaic.
    I know; "This one is different".  I've heard that line about so many movies and everytime I end up seeing one I wind up mad at myself for not trusting my instincts.

6. Mecha04

Mecha04 Loaded Pockets

Hey Stelth

"This one is different" is a true statement.  You could have easily taken out the superhero element of this movie and it would have still made a great crime story. 

7. ChargeTTi

ChargeTTi Empty Pockets

That scene in the police station where the joker removes about seven knives from his pockets and places them on the table in front of him made me smile. It reminded me of most of the guys here. ;D

Great film. :smitten:

8. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

just got back.

awesome.

yes, it was a psychodrama about various archetypes. you -could- leave out the superhero element and still have a great movie. but the Batman/Joker mythos/dynamic was a great vehicle for the story.

it's a serious loss that we'll never have Ledger's Joker again. it will be interesting to see who they get to replace him.

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

At the insistence of my daughter and nephew, I took them to see it last night.

This one relied less on the gadgetry as the focal point although there is still much fresh technology for the main characters on which to ensnare the camera lens and captivate those not having completely risen above sensibility.

Bale's voice, while donned in the caped crusader's britches, does little to lift the stymied look on my face as he attempts a cross between Clint Eastwood's 'Man with No Name' persona and Kim Carne's 'Betty Davis Eyes.' Admittedly, he has done a respectable job with both installations. His take, particularly in this iteration, does paint a more lurid persona than all the other actors that have occupied this role combined; with, of course, the sole exception of Adam West's version where he takes it to a level of creep that has yet to be surpassed neither before nor after those two films released in the 60s. :crackup:

Ledger's performance has far less the "scene-chewing" escapade of Nicolson's and more the delirium of Harvey Keitel's 'Bad Lieutenant;' a testament to his depth of talent and his willingness to develop that additional dimension that neither the very capable Nicolson was willing to do due to his already bloated persona nor what Cesar Romero was able to achieve largely as a result of his very limited talent as a thespian.

Gary Oldman's 'Gordon' is the very antithesis of the buffoonish Commissioner that those of us well past the 50 mark may invariably remember in the campy 60s TV show; showing a much less interesting character than many of us remembering his "over-the-top" performance in the Jean Reno vehicle 'The Professional.'

Once again, Morgan Freeman offers his strong, supporting presence like the tiled bathroom backdrop in Serpico, True Lies, and countless other films that require a solid, unwavering facade on which to lay the foundation of the film; an iconic vestibule likely to be occupied by Samuel L. Jackson the second that Freeman retires from film roles.

And what exactly does Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent see in the Gyllenhaal character? Although she has a bit more meaty dialogue than the previous lead in 'Begins' and is MUCH more capable, she neither lacks the poise of Basinger nor the drop-dead beauty of Pfeiffer. Nontheless, she did a good job with what little she was given.

What an insipid waste of Michael Caine's considerable talent! He's no Olivier and 'Dark Night' is no 'Wutheing Heights,' but is this what is left for this solid character actor to do?

Overall, I was entertained if but a little miffed for the coarse manner in which Director Chris Nolan left the door wide open as if to instantly conclude that this installment shall be successful enough to obviate the next.

No, I'm not applying for Roger Ebert's Job. :p

10. eldahjack

eldahjack Empty Pockets

the movie was decent, in my mind. but i need to re-watch it. given the situation, it didnt appear to be a good movie. those pirated movies arent that great.

anyways, the dialogue of joker was very well done, and ledger did a great job on the voice. and by being spastic. i also liked jokers discourse to dent in the hospital

i didnt like the ending at all though. did dent die? if not, good, it leaves the door open for a two-face movie. if not, that was kind of lame. and what happened to joker? arrested....then what? as far as i recall, batman leaves him hanging there in that warehouse for the swat team. i could be mistaken (it was out of focus and people were talking and i was eating)

i'd see it again, but i dont think i'd buy it

11. mudra

mudra Empty Pockets

Just saw it for the second time. In my opinion, it raises the bar for superhero-movie-as-serious-drama.
    There were lots of nice little details that I noticed on the second viewing which I missed on the first.

12. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Been to see it twice now (cant remember the last time I visited a cinema twice to watch a movie!)
    LOVED it!

One of my fave bits?

The Joker - "How bout a Magic trick? I'll make THIS pencil disappear!" (he does the trick) "Da- dahhhhh!!!" :lolhammer:

13. Devil505

Devil505 Empty Pockets

Ha! that was one of the best scenes in the movie for me. I laughed my butt off. :laugh:
    That and when Joker is leaving the hospital after talking to Dent.