1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

the concept of edc

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by trinity, May 26, 2006.

1. trinity

trinity Empty Pockets

now it's open!!!!!!!!!!!!!(the can of worms)

the only reason i posted to this forum is because i am tired of the nonsense that accompanies some of these topics ...

what is edc? an outlet for "moneykeys"?

edc ... i think,tries to assimilate all the ideas associated with the concept of preparedness...iow... what do you have on you that will ease your transition to normality(assuming the norm doesn't apply)...you dont have to carry all that stuff...really

prybabies,photons,sebenzas,etc these are all "brand" names which is the "least" you need to survive...if i dont have this i'm in trouble?if i do i'm in a better position?

where is the simplicity?it is the mindset that determines your eventual success...

survival itself is not that hard, unless you are attempting Everest...what i am saying is that all these brand names being bandied about doesn't make you ...it's your spirit...with or without the "brand names"

tired of all the "names"

maybe we should decide what is really important!

the admin. wrote a similar article a while ago..

now its just about ego...and what i have

just a thought...

so many have survived...without what we assume is so important!

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I think some of the postings are eccentric and over materialistic until I force myself to remember that EDC Forum contributors have different motivations and are probably in different financial situations.

There are handyman types, who like to carry items they find useful to repair things or be of service to others. That's me, I suppose. I enjoy using EDC tools to fix things even if the finished product isn't worth keeping. The engineer in me likes to combine elements in new and useful ways (e.g., making a bicycle inner tube into a sheath, a flashlight into a pill carrier, etc.)

There are the collector types, who see beauty in handmade items and think nothing of owning several expensive crow bars, knives, flashlights, or other gadgets which may be displayed, but not necessarily used.

There are the survivalist types whose main motivation is to be prepared should a disaster befall them, and they think that is likely.

You get the point. What we all have in common is an appreciation for gadgetry which can be carried with us.

wildborego likes this.
  3. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

You've mentioned a brand or two yourself. But, you are right, mindset plays an important roll in any situation, including survival, as you mentioned. It's all about options. The more you have, the better.

If you don't want to carry a ton of stuff for EDC, that's your option. BUT, this forum is dedicated to the gear we carry on a daily basis. Most of us are admitted gear-a-holics. We carry beacuase we like to have our gadgets & gear, which in turn, gives us options.

todd

4. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Let's see, would those be Canadian night crawlers or red wigglers? :) :fishbone:

Could be a windup...

But seriously, I am tired and it is way past my bedtime.  The short version:

1) I am a writer, so a lot of the stuff that others carry I simply don't need on a day-to-day basis.  For other activities, like hiking or fishing or camping, I would use some of them, but not all the time, thus I don't carry them all the time.
    2) I don't carry anything I don't use. Some of it I hope I won't ever have to use, but it seems wise to carry it "just in case," i.e., my whistle.  I use my knives every day.  I use my little Photon pretty much every night (just used it five minutes ago to walk a friend to a car).  Many of the things I carry are small enough and can multitask, which means I don't have to carry as much as others.  I am a firm believer in less is more.
    3) As far as survival, anything that will make it easier is a smart idea in my book.  Yes, I might be able to survive with just an SAK Classic, but if push came to shove, wouldn't it be nice to have something more?  It's good to be prepared, something I learned as a child.  Self-reliance seems to be highly underrated in society today (the gov't. will take care of me--NOT!).  And it is not the same world I grew up in as a child--it isn't as...safe, and I want to be able to defend myself should I, God forbid, have to.
    4) Most of it strikes me as common sense.  One should have a first aid kit in the car.  I once stopped to help a motorcyclist who had been hit by a car.  It was good to have that stuff.  I once came up upon a car wreck in Maine in the fog.  It was good to have the cyalumes in the car to signal others.
    5) As far as the names, well, my mama always told me I could buy cheap stuff again and again, or I could buy quality stuff once--might cost me a bit more up front, but I wouldn't have to re-buy it.  So Photon makes some great small lights--easy to carry.  Atwood makes some wonderful multitasking tools that are both highly utilitarian as well as aesthically pleasing and will last forever.  SAKs and Leathermans have been around a l-o-n-g time because...they're quality stuff.  And I won't start in on all the knife options.... I don't need them all, but how many times have I used the wrong thing for the wrong task (how many knives have folks broken prying things?). It shouldn't, but it always amazes me how much easier a task is with the right tool.  Options!
    6) Some folks buy a lot to try a lot and find what best suits them.
    7) As parnass said, "There are the collector types, who see beauty in handmade items and think nothing of owning several expensive crow bars, knives, flashlights, or other gadgets which may be displayed, but not necessarily used.  There are the survivalist types whose main motivation is to be prepared should a disaster befall them, and they think it that is likely."

And as pipedreams said, it gives us options.  You are right--none of this stuff "makes" us, but a lot of it makes us better prepared, for whatever we see as needing preparation.

I personally see a lot of things I think are pretty spiffy, and maybe if I had the money, I would buy more of them (see number 1--writer=not much spare change)--and maybe not, but, for me, and I speak only for me, I can't see buying things I wouldn't use or for which I didn't see a real potential use.  I'm at the point in my life where if I don't really have a use for it, I don't want to keep up with it.  But I have also learned a tremendous amount of stuff on this forum that I can apply to other activities where I might need to carry more that my edc (Who knew about dryer lint and cotton balls with chapstick as such great fire starters?  Maybe lots of folks did, but I didn't.).  And it's fun to discuss stuff with others who appreciate it, no matter how much they carry, or for what reasons.  ;D

5. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

Simplify: Most of us here are :crazy2:! Do I need thirty knives? Do I need 8 Prybabies? Do I need any of the gadgets that I have? The answer is yes and no. I use all my knives, Prybabies, and gadgets. No, I can't possibly EDC everything that I have, but I do like to change things around from time to time. I have found in life that people will say "Hey, why do you need that?", and then tell me how they bought this item, went on that vacation, spent $100 out drinking, bought twenty books, etc. I think for me, it's just something I enjoy and like to spend my $$ on.

My bare bones EDC: SAK, Prybaby, Phone, Keys, Notebook, $200 lanyard! :lolhammer:

GG

6. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

Being one of Ron & Karen Hood's "Hoodlums"( a wilderness existence group), my response would be:"you carry that few knives???" ::)

Still, there are always new/better things on the market especially for those of us who stuff our pockets. Before I encountered all the forum I frequent(Hoodlums, USN, KF, Jerzee Devil, EDC, OMF,,,,etc.) You should have seen a all the worthless CRAP that was in my pockets!! Now my pockets are a bit lighter. And, for arguments sake, I have a second prybaby or Leatherman. Their backups, in case you loose the first tool.

That widthdrawl trauma is terrible!!!! :eek:

7. herman30

herman30 Loaded Pockets

My EDC-bag has nothing to do with survival. It´s merely a collection of tools that may come in handy if something has to be repaired. Or when we go with the family on a picknick and may have to make a fire. Etc, etc.
    A whole deal of the stuff stays in the bag unused, being there just in case if...

Guess Finland is such a safe and secure country that I don´t spend time thinking what may happen in form of terrorism. And we don´t have extreme weather like hurricanes or flooding. Well there is some minor flooding every spring when the ice breaks up in larger rivers but that´s all.
    As I understand, the survivalist thinking is more common in the US?

Just a couple of my thoughts. I guess there is as many reasons for carrying gear, as there is people doing so.

8. trinity

trinity Empty Pockets

thanks for the input guys, I didn't mean to scoff at anybody's edc...

not at all...I merely wanted to point out that edc is...well what you think you would need in a crisis or on a daily basis etc...to help you(and quite frankly, your loved ones)
    however, I have seen edc pics of people carrying 4 knives, two guns, two lights...etc, well what i mean is that some folks would actually need a backpack of some sort, sort of like edc out of control.Then we are sort of "labeled",... so much for the :censored: knives!

i suppose this is where "redundancy" comes in...we like what we have and struggle to get rid of things.

Yes , I'm an edc junkie too...but I have to "rotate" things i like to have on me...for the sake of sanity, so to speak.I cannot possibly carry everything, none of us can,so I simplify, taking only that which will serve my purpose and or needs( I have car kits too).

"use what you have my son, and use it well"

By the way, my edc remains cut,burn,see = live...thats it

9. trinity

trinity Empty Pockets

one more thing...

there's this thing called complacency...if i have all this i must be ok...isnt it?

most people are lulled into a false sense of security merely because they "carry"

"carrying "doesnt make you safe, its how you use it that counts...and when it matters most...

so i see the same "trend" with edc

on a lighter note, no-one has added some quaker oats to their edc yet, or am i wrong?

10. pipedreams

I've got some granola bars in my bag. Close enough? ;)

todd

11. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

:highfive:  But the trick is that everyone's EDC is different to everyone's area and situation.    

For example, if the amazon indian protector Sydney Possuelo( http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0308/sights_n_sounds/media2.html ) every decides to post here.  I'll bet his EDC is totally different from  from your EDC , my EDC, or the EDC's of every member here :police:

12. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Quaker rice cakes for me. :)

13. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

Do you? Do you mean, you know people who thought, "it doesn't matter if I cut myself because I carry a first aid kit"? Or, what exactly?

14. trinity

trinity Empty Pockets

maybe I'm wrong here...or just misunderstood
    many if not all of us like gadgets and tools and we carry them around on a daily basis because there may be or here is a definite need,
    my point is this ...some carry 5 or more knives 3 lights and many more items that would hurt my back...their choice i suppose

plasters are just fine,some alcohol swabs etc...kids get hurt so do we...

I'm down at the pool with the family,I have my 3 favorites (knowledge,mindset and determination).
    with me, but i didnt bring a scuba tank with me...that i suppose is my point

so then what is edc really?
    your favorites and the myriad of things you can do with them , or the whole nine yards?including grandma?

15. trinity

trinity Empty Pockets

Let's see, would those be Canadian night crawlers or red wigglers?

Could be a windup...

But seriously, I am tired and it is way past my bedtime. The short version:

1) I am a writer, so a lot of the stuff that others carry I simply don't need on a day-to-day basis. For other activities, like hiking or fishing or camping, I would use some of them, but not all the time, thus I don't carry them all the time.
    2) I don't carry anything I don't use. Some of it I hope I won't ever have to use, but it seems wise to carry it "just in case," i.e., my whistle. I use my knives every day. I use my little Photon pretty much every night (just used it five minutes ago to walk a friend to a car). Many of the things I carry are small enough and can multitask, which means I don't have to carry as much as others. I am a firm believer in less is more.
    3) As far as survival, anything that will make it easier is a smart idea in my book. Yes, I might be able to survive with just an SAK Classic, but if push came to shove, wouldn't it be nice to have something more? It's good to be prepared, something I learned as a child. Self-reliance seems to be highly underrated in society today (the gov't. will take care of me--NOT!). And it is not the same world I grew up in as a child--it isn't as...safe, and I want to be able to defend myself should I, God forbid, have to.
    4) Most of it strikes me as common sense. One should have a first aid kit in the car. I once stopped to help a motorcyclist who had been hit by a car. It was good to have that stuff. I once came up upon a car wreck in Maine in the fog. It was good to have the cyalumes in the car to signal others.
    5) As far as the names, well, my mama always told me I could buy cheap stuff again and again, or I could buy quality stuff once--might cost me a bit more up front, but I wouldn't have to re-buy it. So Photon makes some great small lights--easy to carry. Atwood makes some wonderful multitasking tools that are both highly utilitarian as well as aesthically pleasing and will last forever. SAKs and Leathermans have been around a l-o-n-g time because...they're quality stuff. And I won't start in on all the knife options.... I don't need them all, but how many times have I used the wrong thing for the wrong task (how many knives have folks broken prying things?). It shouldn't, but it always amazes me how much easier a task is with the right tool. Options!
    6) Some folks buy a lot to try a lot and find what best suits them.
    7) As parnass said, "There are the collector types, who see beauty in handmade items and think nothing of owning several expensive crow bars, knives, flashlights, or other gadgets which may be displayed, but not necessarily used. There are the survivalist types whose main motivation is to be prepared should a disaster befall them, and they think it that is likely."

And as pipedreams said, it gives us options. You are right--none of this stuff "makes" us, but a lot of it makes us better prepared, for whatever we see as needing preparation.

I personally see a lot of things I think are pretty spiffy, and maybe if I had the money, I would buy more of them (see number 1--writer=not much spare change)--and maybe not, but, for me, and I speak only for me, I can't see buying things I wouldn't use or for which I didn't see a real potential use. I'm at the point in my life where if I don't really have a use for it, I don't want to keep up with it. But I have also learned a tremendous amount of stuff on this forum that I can apply to other activities where I might need to carry more that my edc (Who knew about dryer lint and cotton balls with chapstick as such great fire starters? Maybe lots of folks did, but I didn't.). And it's fun to discuss stuff with others who appreciate it, no matter how much they carry, or for what reasons.

Report to moderator Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Karen

I really like the way you put things into perspective...made me re-think my "attitude" about "edc"
    i didnt mean to sound harsh(forgive me if i did)
    i suppose i just felt, that edc was "common" sort of like a first line of defense" for all( but with in limits)
    some of the things i saw made me squirm so to say...but like you say "its a matter of choice"

that I will accept!

My mom alway used to say "too much of a good thing is bad"

thanx...

16. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

i didnt mean to sound harsh(forgive me if i did)

Nope, I didn't take it that way. :)

I think you brought up some valid points. I could never see myself carrying as much as some of the folks here, but then, I don't need to--I'm not in an environment where I would necessarily need to worry about some of what others must concern themselves with on a daily basis. But I do carry about several knives during the normal routine of the day--and it amazes me sometimes how often I use them all. Some don't come out everyday; some live in the drawer until I am going fishing or working in yard. Some are "just in case." Oh, and heck fire, some I just like 'cause they're purty and I carry a purse, so I toss them in.

My mom alway used to say "too much of a good thing is bad"

Yep. Heard it a lot myself. And there is more than a bit of truth to it. :agree:

17. Desertrat1

Desertrat1 Empty Pockets

I have to agree with Trinity on this one, It seems people are taken in by the latest, coolest stuff and like to let everyone know about it. Frankly i'm more into utility. Quality doesn't neccessarily mean spending an arm and a leg. That doesn't mean you'll get a good knife for 10 bucks or a good weapon for 200 or get a better knife for 300 bucks or 1500 for a pistol that is particularly better in an emergency. I've done both, spend more than I needed to, as well as buying a piece of crap for cheap. I've learned that there are tried and true standards for all products, Quality of materials, durability/reliability, functionality, and ease of use. If you can find an item that meets those criteria, then you've got a winner no matter the brand name. I haven't bought a new knife in years, I'm happy with the ones I've chosen and use them in the field regularly, including this weekend. I have 20+ guns and most of them are old standards, proven reliability and accuracy.

FACE likes this.
  18. Ors

Ors Empty Pockets

There is an old saying, "It's a poor musician who blames the instrument".

But there is something to be said for quality too. A $10 might not get a job done as quickly or safely as a $200 knife, but most days it will still get the job done.

But for me EDC aids my mindset. It's like an anchor for me. Even if I find myself in a situation that I have no tools or supplies to help, the fact that I EDC items grounds me to the reality that I am a prepared person. I think often about what things I might need or what situations might arise. Just because I carry doesn't make me safer, that's true. Tools without knowledge are useless. But the tools, the EDC items I carry reinforce to me the fact that I can survive, in both daily life and crisis situations. When the lights go out and everyone starts hoping the power company will get to work fast, I pull out a flashlight and use it to find the candles that are stashed away. I'm not a gear snob by any means. Yes, I buy the best I can, but it has to do with perceived quality of the gear, not just the name, or what's trendy. An example is the TAD Life Capsule. Latest model with the compartment for the Glo Toob and all that...awesome! Do I think I would get use out of it? Sure I would. Will I ever buy one? Not a snowball's chance! >:D I can't justify the cost of something like that, because for me, I can get the same results from less pricey options (although if I had a lot of disposable income, I'd probably own several!)

I was reading here the other night and got interested in Atwood whistles. Sounds good to me, I'll put it on my list. Then I saw the price, and quickly removed it from my list. Do I think it would be a good piece of kit? Yes I do. Would I rather put that money toward something I think I'd use more, like a Ti Prybaby? Yes.

I vote for utility over latest and greatest. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of exploring new stuff and seeing if it fits into my life and plans. Like I said, love to have a Life Capsule, but I can't justify it to myself. And sometimes the latest and greatest is truly the latest and greatest. But I don't believe in buying kit just to have it sit. I heard a $20,000 Martin guitar being played once. One of the most beautiful, warm, rich sounds I've ever experienced. A collector bought it and was going to keep it on display in an environmentally controlled case. Made me sick. The world will never experience that beautiful music, trapped in that extraordinary guitar. So my thought is, if I choose it, I'm going to use it!

So I won't publically put down anyone else's ideas of what to carry and why this brand is obviously far superior to that brand. You do the best you can with what you have where you are. What's right for me may or may not be right for you. If someone posts an idea and justification for it, and I happen to disagree with it, then I wil say so, but I will try to do so in a respectful way. I'm a teacher, and it's not my job to sway other people's opinions to match my own. But I may from time to time present my viewpoint for consideration. I expect that others will do the same. That's how we learn and grow, is by dialoging and reflecting on our positions. Sometimes we find something useful in another person's ideas and we add it to our own, in a unique way. That my friends, is called evolution.

No, the EDC itself does not ensure my comfort or convienence or survival. But the mindset gives my a fighting chance. In a crisis, I may be struck dead before I have a chance to even think about what's in my pockets. But when I cross over, I'll rest a bit easier knowing that while I was alive, I did everything I could to ensure I stayed alive.

FACE likes this.
  19. pipedreams

Excellent post, Ors! O0

todd

20. FACE
    • In Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

I apologize for necro-posting but it goes in line to what I believe. Also, I don't believe in creating a "NEW" post everytime you have another thing to share or show or want to get. Just use the "SEARCH" button, that's how I found this thread. :)

Just read through this thread and ask your self what YOUR concept of edc is. I like what ORS said 2 posts above.

Cheers,
    FACE

mooshisho likes this.