1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Cigar Thread

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by scríbhneoir, Apr 26, 2006.

1. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

After my husband corrupted--er, umh, I mean, introduced me to cigars, it didn't take me long to find some favorites--and I even introduced him to a couple of good ones he hadn't tried yet. I enjoy Fuente's Cuban Coronas, 8-5-8s, Petit Coronas, Cubanitos, Short Stories, and Exquisitos frequently. I like natural and maduro wrappers, though sometimes I actually prefer the maduro, and when I have a couple of extra dollars and/or a special occasion (Hey, it's almost the weekend! Let's have a smoke!), I go for an Ashton VSG. I also tried some from Latin Gold in San Antonio last time I was "home." I have recently tried and liked the Rocky Patel Vintage Series as well. So in my continuing quest for another good smoke, I'd like to know what others like/prefer/swear by/are addicted to... 8)

2. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

Hav-a-tampa Jewels Sweet, yep the cheap stuff, but they tastes good and folks actually like the way they smell. When I was an OTR trucker, I'd sometimes smoke 15 a day. For a special occasion, I'd get a few Macanudos or Cohibas. Rarely smoke a pipe, but if I do it's with Borkam Riff Whiskey tobacco.

A good source I've used for years is Thompson Cigar Co.

3. was_jlh

was_jlh Loaded Pockets

Karen, try a Puros Indios, only thing I smoke now.

4. SRMC

SRMC Loaded Pockets

I used to favor the Punch maduro in robusto or corona, but it has been a few years since I've enjoyed a cigar.

SRMC

5. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty low-brow, I like the sweet Backwoods cigars in the foil pouch. :crazy2:

todd

6. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

I have looked at those on several occasions, but always drift over to the others. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

7. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Never tried one of those, but what the hey, might be a good backup in a cigar emergency. I drive about an hour and a half one way to go contra dancing, and on the drive home, I always unwind with a cigar. I forgot to take any one time, so I bought a pack of White Owls at the Exxon on the way. Ooops. First time I ever put a cigar out and tossed the package. :(

And as far as others liking or disliking the smell, well..., as Tommy Lee Jones says in the Fugitive movie, "I Don't Care." Actually, I've had several folks whom I would expect to say, "Yuck, that stinks!" surprise me and say, "That smell reminds me of my father when I was a kid," or "We always knew when my uncle was visiting by that smell." And my grandfaather used to smoke a pipe with vanilla tobacco. Though his body was pretty weak, his mind was as sharp as ever to the end, and he really enjoyed his pipe and reading.

Thanks for the link; I'll check it out. :)

Justinicus likes this.
  8. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

I've never seen these. Where do you find them?

9. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Smoke shop, Wal-Mart, gas station, they are everywhere around here.

todd

10. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Alrighty then. I just bought one of these puppies. Will report back on it. :lecture:

11. was_jlh

was_jlh Loaded Pockets

Excellent, hope you like it.

12. Pydpiper

Pydpiper Empty Pockets

These things are good.. :)
    Since I quit the cigarettes a bunch of years ago I have had one of the Backwoods.. Nectar to the Gods...

Here in Canada there are some fine cigars available to us, my Father who is a cigar smoker from Detroit loves the things I can dig up around here..

13. TedTheLed

TedTheLed Empty Pockets

Pyd, send a dozen Havana Upmans right away! :) wait make that 2 dozen..

oh would that be wonderful.. I smoked the one and only one of those I ever had last week, it had been

in my humidor for 10 years, no fooling..it was sublime..so simple, earthy, delicious!

Many cigars today are just hysterical with loads of flavors and spiciness and overwhelming strength..

Mostly I smoke Fuente Hemingway Signatures -- I like the Cameroon wrapper, but lately even the Fuentes have needed more aging to be really good.

That's one reason I cancelled my Thompson cigar club membership, the quality was lagging -- so now I'm living off the last 4 or 5 boxes of Signatures I have left..and they just get better with time...

Justinicus likes this.
  14. Lawrence

Lawrence Banned

Currently, I am smoking the Jose Marti' Cuba Libre cigars. They come in a glass tube and I got mine from www.jrcigars.com

I also like the Arturo Fuente Opus X line too. :police:

No Maduros for me though...black cigars...YEECH... :tickedoff:

15. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

I was passing thru Kentucky a couple of years ago when I came across Kentucky Black Gold cigars. They were pretty good, so I sent some to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. You can get them in a box, but I liked the Kentucky humidor(glass jar) they also come in.

Rich73 and SAKplumber like this.
  16. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

We have a JR a little over an hour from here up on 95. Cigars and oh so much more.... We have a neat little tobacconist shop here in our town where I buy most of mine. Sometimes I will check out other little places along the way if I am running low. There is also a great place down on the coast a couple of hours away.

Hmmmm, I never thought of them as black cigars. I also didn't think I would actually like a maduro when I first started smoking them. My first was a Butera, which was so mild, I thought I was smoking air. Not much flavor. :p I just kept trying till I found some that I liked, and they happened to be maduros.

17. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

was_jlh,

Well, I tried the Puros Indios out on the porch last week at the end of a long day.  It was quite nice,  a bit milder than those to which I am accustomed, but a good smoke.  I would probably buy one again.  Thanks for the suggestion!  :)

18. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Well, I was at W-M the other day, and the cigar store was closed, so I bought a pouch of these--the sweet ones. Was torn between those and the "Mild and Wild." I have probably smoked half of them. They are not the prettiest little cigars, but are good, quick smokes, and they are indeed sweet. My one real complaint is the little pieces of tobacco that stay behind after each puff. Bleh. :mad: And sometimes they burn really funkily--looks like a burning stick. ;D But I think they could be my emergency back ups. Thanks!

19. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Yes, Punch is another brand I like, and I pick them up from time to time for variety. I've tried Upmans and Graycliffs, too. It's been a few minutes since I enjoyed a cigar. And it was a Fuente maduro. :laugh:

20. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Well, that was an evil site. >:D Had boxes of 50 Cubanitos. It is hard to find the tins of ten around here right now. :police: Could be trouble.