1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The cheap gear thread

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by CG92, Jun 4, 2018.

1. CG92

CG92 Loaded Pockets

I'm a big believer in using the cheapest gear you can until it no longer does the job. I'm going on a hunting trip soon and would like to see what cheap, non brand name gear you all use for hunting/hiking/ general edc.

I'll start. This is a belt I bought off aliexpress the brand is called Emerson gear. It cost $35 and I cannot complain about it at all. Very good quality and comfortable. Will wait and see how it holds up long term but when other belts are $200 it is a no brainer for me. The fake fast mag pouches were $20 compared to $60 for genuine ones and take my .308 mags no problem at all. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I haven't got maxped money (and I certainly don't have TAD money) so I've been making do with karrimor. I've huffed and puffed about buying a new backpack for trips out with ever increasing prices when I decided to make do with my cheapy karrimor one which, whilst a bit big and the layout isn't ideal, the zips work, the straps are perfectly good and it's comfortable to wear. Now looking at another cheap folder from gearbest.

Whilst I'd suggest it's nice to have nice things there's a certain amount of satisfaction on finding a bargain that will do the job.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I use a DIY alcohol stove instead of my old more expensive trangia. It is superlight and I dont need a potstand. I make those on trips from trash soda cans if I find them and give them away as presents. google for "groove stove" They are the best. and you can make them in less than 5 minutes with a knife or a pair of scissors.

Same for wood gas stoves. Just make them from food cans you bring with you, then just leave it at the campsite so others can use these brilliant little efficient stoves later.

Just bought a nice Zebra cooking pot, for 15 or 20 bucks or so. Now I found a very lightweight stainless bowl-shaped pot with handle for only 2 euros in one of those stores full with cheap chinese goods that is just perfect for drinking and cooking for solohikes with those alcohol stoves I make. Tested one and then immediately bought 5 of them to give away as presents.

For knives, a Mora or Sanrenmu Land, a Sak Farmer or Huntsman or a Opinel for cooking is all I ever need. I won't buy total junk knives, though.

No need for fancy sleeping inflatable mats, either. The cheapos made from foam are more rugged and more versatile.

But.. cheap SAK clones are to be avoided at all costs. Same for duct tape. Only bring good duct tape.

Also spend on quality shoes. A must.

Last edited by flux, Jun 4, 2018
    #3 flux, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  4. CG92

CG92 Loaded Pockets

Wholeheartedly agree re shows. I'm wearing Zamberlain Quest GTX. Best boots I've had.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Amongst my other addictions, I like traditional slip joint knives. I stumbled across Rough Rider on these pages a while back. I still buy Case, and I do have one (1 !) GEC, but my count on Rough Rider is getting up there. At a per knife cost that is ~20% to 30% of a Case knife, I've got zero complaints. Sure some of the scale Fit & Finish is not quite as good, but I've zero complaints about the blades themselves. Actually they seem to come more consistently sharp than Case... go figure!

Same applies to a slew of other Chinese knife makers, from Ganzo (admittedly a clone house!) to independents like Kizer and Ruike. Good value from these in my opinion...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. themaindude

themaindude Loaded Pockets

I have been looking for a traditional. I lost my barlow and am searching for a decent scaled sheep's foot. I will check out the rough rider brand on your reccomendation.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

7. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Frugal choices are never a bad thing.
    The secret is saying "enough"
    Where I use a Mora as my "enough" you may want a $500 custom built supper steel knife as your "enough".
    While some people are independently wealthy and can have any item they desire, cost versus usage has always been one of the check boxes for me.
    You can buy a $200 drill or four $50 drills the cost is the same. But does the $50 drill have the same power? the same run time?
    Cheaper products can always
    "Buy once, cry once" is often touted, but the reality is that some products perform the task at hand just as well as the more expensive counterparts.
    Frugality is not a bad thing to practice.
    Currently my EDC locking folder switches between a Real Steel and a Buck.
    Both get the job done, function well, and meet my price points.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I'll second Rough Rider. The first one I bought was a Sodbuster copy with a razor sharp blade, brass liners, and solid lock up - price was $12. I've bought 5 or 6 more and have been impressed with all of them for the value they offer.

JOE68 and Moshe ben David like this.
  9. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

well for a frew years my EDC pack was a cheapy rip off of maxped falcon and EDC was an 11 dollar smith and wesson knife from autozone and a xenon 2AA maglite.

JOE68 likes this.
  10. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

The real trick is knowing when you can go cheaper and when it really does matter to go with the more expensive counterpart. As an example for me would be boots. For a long time, I had no qualms about spending $40-$50 for boots and replacing them every few months when they wore out. Did that for years. About 7 years ago I bought some Red Wing boots for a little over $200. I'm still on those same boots. I've taken them on all sorts of adventures that would wear out cheaper boots. Once every year or so, I have to replace the insole, but the boots themselves are still going strong. Spending the extra money was worth it.

On the flip side, I have no problem buying handtools from harbor freight. Their Pittsburgh stuff is actually decent for my use. For what I do, I can't justify spending money on stuff from Wright, Martin, Williams, etc... While there are certainly manufacturing defects, most tools breaks from improper use. An example from a crescent wrench would be using a cheater bar when the wrench head itself is too small to handle the additional force.

In town, we got this little chain of stores that sells the generic version of harbor freight stuff. Some of is clearly knock-offs. At the price though, some of it can be considered disposable tools. It not complete garbage. They will last you for several projects and/or light duty stuff. This place is great for when you need something inexpensive. The tool pouches are actually quite decent. The 6-in-1 type screwdriver sets have held up exceptionally well over the years.

I've always believed in using the right tool for the job and following this simple rule has served me well. Sometimes the right tool is cheap wrench and sometimes it an expensive knife. The trick is simply knowing when to go with what.

11. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I purchased a Mora chisel knife from Woot.cm which was less than $10 with Amazon prime shipping. I have used the knife on several campouts to make kindling.

This forum introduced me to Mora & Opinel knifes. Opening outdoors knife would be a good camp knife for food prep.

JOE68 likes this.
  12. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Rough Rider produces a decent blade for the price.
    I also like Real Steel.
    The Kirkland Brand merino wool socks from Costco have proven to be winners.
    I bought a water bottle carrier from One Tigris to see what that brand was like, and found that it wasn't too bad.

twin63 and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I found the Kirkland merino wool socks have got worse. The newer ones seem to have more elastane or polyester or something in them. They don't feel as nice as the older ones I have - some of which must be knocking on 7 or 8 years old.

JOE68 likes this.
  14. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I can say the same thing about some merino wool socks from another brand. Years ago they were AWESOME. Sadly I wore them out. I replaced them a few times but they werren't the same. Now they been discontinued. It seems like now whenever you find something good, go back and buy like 10 of them before it too late.

JOE68 and Tallboyjim like this.
  15. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Yes, I noticed that the loop stitching isn't as "soft" as it once was.
    They still aren't a bad buy though.
    If they do switchback to the older style, I'll be picking up a whole bunch.

16. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

This is so very true.
    And maybe it's just me, but it is happening a lot more frequently than it did in the past.
    I've learned that things I truly like need to be bought in multiples because you will either wear through it, or lose it and won't be able to find a decent replacement or they manufacture the same product but have changed materials - usually cheaper - so the feel is no longer the same.

17. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

A little word of caution when buying multiples of shoes with polyurethane soles. The PU breaks down over time even without use (called hydrolysis). You may pull them out one day only to discover that the soles are literally crumbling apart as you are walking. Trust me.

Moshe ben David and EZDog like this.
  18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Amen to this......Sadly.

19. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Cheap gear can also be had from thrift stores.
    "they don't make 'em like they used to" is part of the reason I try to go to thrift stores in search of cheap gear.
    I also look for small out of the way towns that had "general" type hardware stores.
    Sometimes these stores still have items form years back that were discontinued, but in that particular locale weren't really popular.
    I once scored a red wooden handled Mora knife for $8 because "no one likes them red handles 'cause they're too bright"

twin63 likes this.
  20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I picked up a cheap digital vernier caliper this morning and what a piece of crap!

Going back this afternoon for sure.