1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Best Gloves...?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by firefly.serenity, Feb 12, 2012.

1. firefly.serenity

firefly.serenity Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone--

I am looking for a GREAT pair of utilitarian gloves - I've seen all different types, but none that really vibe with my needs - are there quality pairs out there that you all would recommend?

I would love for some sort of a hybrid between the tactical/grip gloves and something that could keep my hands warm as well. I've used both types in the past, and there are certainly gloves out there that accomplish ONE of those tenets very well! Either my hands are perfectly warm (but they are the size of astronaut gloves) or I can pick stuff up just like I'm not wearing anything (but my hands freeze in a few minutes).

Any ideas? I'm willing to invest a bit in them as well, so durability and quality construction are a must.

Thanks for any ideas!

2. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

I hope you can find one, I've been looking for one forever. I've been using burton dakine gloves as thats the closest but the zipper fell off so I can't really recommend it. As far as I can see if you want dexterity you lose warmth.

3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

One glove to rule them all... my Precious!

I'm in gloves 8-10 hours a (work)day in all kinds weather and it has been my experience that what you seek does not exist. Warmth and dexterity and mutually exclusive , especially at the extremes. I wear these http://http://www.gemplers.com/product/109868/GEMPLERS-Latex-coated-Work-Gloves-Single-Pair nearly all the time. They are < $3 USD if you buy 12 or more, last quite a long time, allow for a reasonably high degree of dexterity, and will keep your hands "usable" warm if you are active. That said, past a certain personal cold/pain tolerance, your hands will be cold with these, especially if you are using metal tools.

But anything thicker and dexterity goes out the window.

4. Proforguns

Proforguns Loaded Pockets

5. firefly.serenity

firefly.serenity Loaded Pockets

Thanks, guys. I figured as much. What if I sacrificed just a bit of the dexterity? I have a pretty good pair of North Face gloves that I use while shoveling snow (and they are pretty good) but I wondered if there are higher quality products out there...might we be sitting on a million dollar idea here? Who's in? :)

6. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I am a big Mechanix fan. I like the impact pro. If it real real cold out, nothing will keep your hands warm forever. A layer of latex gloves under the real gloves helps with wind, but can get sweaty.

And check out a Zippo hand warmer. They work great.

7. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Really thin and really warm just can't happen without heating. I picked up a pair of Acteryx (not sure of the model) whilst still thick, they have articulated fingers so retain some dexterity. They are comfy down to well below freezing but are not uber artic warm.

8. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

theres gotta be a new material or something, companies would make millions if they found the solution to this. We can go to the moon but can't make a decent pair of gloves. ??

9. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Loaded Pockets

10. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

This pretty much sums it up. I've used those same gloves linked to above from Gemplers for work, but in the end I found that I preferred the same type of glove but the "Atlas" brand have done better for me (still usually buy them from Gemplers), they make an insulated version as well, which work a little better at providing dexterity while keeping my hands a little warmer, but still don't do as good of a job at keeping my hands dry/warm as a good pair of thick leather insulated winter gloves.

One of the best blends I've found between dexterity and warmth is a pair of Mechanix insulated winter gloves I bought around 5 years ago. They don't offer as much grip as the rubberized gloves above, and wouldn't stand up as well for work for me (I sort packages for a large shipping company), as they would have holes in them within a week or two at the most.

11. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

12. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I've never had a pair of gloves that had the necessary dexterity I require last more than two weeks. Therefore, the $20 Mechanix type gloves aren't as cost effective as a $3 pair from Gemplers (or where ever) that last a week for 1/7 the price. Of course, YMMV.

13. motoguy13

motoguy13 Loaded Pockets

I am looking for the same thing, ive been looking at the some of the Underarmor cold gear gloves, some of the reviews that ive read say they are pretty warm, but i havent looed at any of the gloves in person yet. i know some of their other clothing is pretty warm though.

14. JackBauer2218

JackBauer2218 Loaded Pockets

+1 for mechanix I own two pairs one pair of the impact pro and I recently purchased a pair of the winter gloves they offer

15. ClangClang

ClangClang Loaded Pockets

Excellent warmth and excellent dexterity simply won't happen in a glove. It's not possible with the technology we have. Insulation is provided by dead air space. Down is the best insulation we have available today, but as soon as you compress it or get it wet, it loses its insulative properties - so basically, it's worthless in a glove, especially a work glove.

I've tried 20-30 different gloves from top outdoor manufacturers over the years.. some cheap, some expensive as hell. And yet, the best glove I've ever found that provides good warmth while also providing excellent dexterity is the Ninja Ice and it costs about $12/pair. Google will find it for you. Among my circle of ice climbing buddies, it's our "go to" glove for conditions above 15ºF. Below 15 you're skirting frostbite with these, but they do the trick and they're dextrous enough to fiddle with knots, dig through our packs for gear, etc

Here they are in action at 13,000' in the Alps last year on a climb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maave likes this.
  16. Academic

Academic Loaded Pockets

I was thinking about starting a similar thread.

For edc winter use, I have used and love the Dakine Viper gloves. They are softshell, with grippy stuff on them.
    They grip very well,and have fantastic dexterity. I keep change in the cup holders of my car, and i can pick a dime up from the cupholder to feed a meter without taking them off.

They provide enough warmth for edc in weather down to the teens I would say. Ive used them camping in heavy snow at about 20 degrees and they were fine being constantly outside. I wasn't sitting still or standing still much, except for by the fire.

However, they are NOT durable enough to be work gloves by any means. They were fairly new on that camping trip and started to show some wear in just that weekend, from handling lots of firewood and shooting and other camp stuff.

I'll still edc em in winter though because their weather protection, grip, and dexterity are all great. They cost 35 bux. Since that trip I havent hard used them and they are still servicable after two winters, but kinda ratty. One fingertip has busted at the seam and is starting to fray open, and a lot of the grippy stuff has come off, along with parts of the softshell flaking.

Im thinking for one ultimate pair it would have to be a goretex/leather arcteryx one.

Failing that huge investment though, maybe a merino or fleece liner as edc. inside a standard leather work glove when rough use or worse weather calls for it might be the right choice, similar to the wool liner and leather shell that the army issued (still issues?) me, but with a somewhat better liner. Liner would have good warmth and great dexterity but crap grip unless you got a fancier more expensive liner. Leather shell added wold lose the dex but have very good weather proofing and durability.

I had camelbak winter work gloves one time, VERY lightly insulated but great dexterity, and leather on the front. Not as great for cold and or wet weather as the dakines, it seemed to me, but probably more durable and equally dexterous. Sadly, dog chewed em up before they saw extensive use.

Cabelas also has kangaroo leather winter shooting gloves that are insulated, with or without goretex. I bought a pair but the stiching on one of the mesh parts busted and opened up within a couple days. Don't know if it was a fluke or not. Returned em and didn't try again. Too bad, because kangaroo leather, insulation, and goretex if desired seems like an ideal glove. insulation wasn't very thick, but more than the dakines or camelbaks. Dexterity was good but significantly less than the thinner gloves. May have to remove em for using small edc items or fishing them from pockets. Mine were the goretex variety which adds a little more thickness.

Anyway, those are my experiences and I'm still looking for something better.

17. swampinboy

swampinboy Loaded Pockets

Not sure what your use will be, but being from Michigan and working in the construction industry I feel your needs.
    1. For everyday use, I keep a pair of wool liners with me at all times, and once outside they go on. These are cheap, found in black for under 2$ a pair (buy in bulk packs) so I put one in each coat pocket, tool bag, garage, etc.
    2.In the car, garage and with the carharts I keep a pair of Kinco's, insulated cold weather gloves (buy Kinco Brand, these I found to be the most affordable/durable/accessable for working outside, scraping the frost/snow from the car, general outside gloves). They aren't discreet, pretty or stylish, but you can find them all over and they work.
    3. The last type of gloves I keep close at hand are a goatskin leather. I apply a coat of Redwing boot oil, and they are tough, water reistant, offer some warmth, and break the wind best. They are the thinest, toughest glove around. I usually have mediums (w/o liners) and large (w/liners) on hand. The medium fit snug and I can assemble nuts/bolts, handle all tools, and hardware very easily. They two are not discreet, pretty or stylish but work down to 35 degrees F for me.
    4. Lastly, I have found the air activated disposable hand warmers to be awesome. I have used them for years and swear by them. They are very cheap, and will last 6hrs or so. Keep a pair with you, and use them. They cost as little as a foo foo coffee and make you smile much more.
    For the record, I have tried Mechanics and several others, they look cool, feel good, but don't fit my needs. I wore holes through a pair of Mechanic type gloves in one day with bolts and an impact wrench. I wear my goatskins for weeks and sometimes a month. Again, this is what has works for me, function before fashion.

18. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I wear Mechanix or similar low cost high dexterity gloves, but keep a pair of insulated mittens close at hand. When I don't need the dexterity, the mittens over the gloves work well.

19. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

Have a look at Youngstown Gloves

I had a pair of their "Waterproof Winter Plus" gloves that lasted 3 years working unloading boxes & crates of frozen food while working at a fast food restaurant (approx 200 - 500 boxes &/or crates, twice a week).

20. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

For really cold work, the only solution I have found is a pair of gloves like the gem above inside a ragg wool mitten. I never liked the mittens with the opening to slide your hand out.