1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Belongings of 313

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by 313, Nov 21, 2016.

1. 313

313 Uber Prepared

I seem to be pretty much settled on my setups, so here's my very own thread. This also gives me the opportunity to ramble on at length without pi$$ing anyone off :p

I chose the silly title to this thread a bit to describe my philosophy regarding gear: While I love looking at (and appreciate) all the amazing collections, customs and expensive titanium marvels and whatnot on EDCF, I have made a conscious decision not to go there myself. What I look for is good value and what I would call inexpensive items. This does not mean cheap, as "cheap" in my mind equals disposable poor quality junk. Instead I feel my stuff is mostly durable, aesthetically pleasing and functional while not including the added cost of premium equivalents. I want my stuff to last, preferrably be repairable and if not, still be easily replaced in case it's lost or otherwise destroyed. The last part is really why I have not any cravings towards customs or collectibles. And everything I own gets used, there are no shelf queens.

So, being "financially challenged" basically means that I've set limits for myself and do my best to meet them and still be happy with what I've got.

Well, on to the stuff. First of all, there's a few items that I always have with me regardless of the situation:

[​IMG]

My phone is provided by my employer, and would certainly not have been my first choice. I hope to have this upgraded soon.

The e-cig is a €50 Aspire starter pack, which may not be very fancy but it has helped me to kick a 20+ year nasty habit overnight, where other means have failed. I suspect this will become a subject for constant upgrading and fiddling.

The leather cover houses a Field Notes notebook and gets carried in either my jacket pocket or work bag. I write down pretty much everything nowadays and in here goes everything I may want to remember later. Permanent notes which will later be needed for reference get transferred to a dedicated notebook and dates etc to my weekly planner. The cover is made by Offgrid Journals @Etsy.

I also have a small notepad or at least a few loose pages in my pocket for grocery lists and other quick notes that won't need to be saved for later.

My keychain is down to minimal, with just a Led Lenser K1L and a couple of keys.

Next there's my Maxpedition EDC organized that lives in whichever bag or backpack I use at the moment:

[​IMG]

It contains

- my daily use pens: a mechanical pencil (Faber-Castell Grip 1345 0.5mm), a ballpoint pen (Zebra F-701) and a gel pen (Pilot G2 07)
    - Led Lenser K2 for a backup light
    - Victorinox Spirit X, enough said
    - an assortment of cables that I need: adapters, e-cig charger, headphones etc.
    - a Moleskine Volant notebook in the left-hand pocket

My on-person EDC depends a lot of what I'm wearing during the day. On casual days (ie. jeans and a flannel shirt) this is what I usually have on:

[​IMG]

- Casio G-Shock DW-5600
    - Camel Active California wallet
    - Fenix E05
    - Fisher Space Pen
    - Victorinox Pioneer

This is my preferred setup outside of work, around town etc. The pocket knife needs to be carried using discretion, since any bladed objects are banned around here. If there's risk I just substitute it with a keychain tool (Vic Rambler or LM Style CS), since nobody really cares about those.

My work sometimes requires me to dress up from "casual sharp" to suit. I want as little print as possible when wearing chinos or dress pants, so this is my setup for those occasions:

[​IMG]

- Timex Weekender
    - Tanner Goods Journeyman wallet
    - Victorinox Cadet 2012 Limited Edition (in its leather pouch)
    - Parker Jotter SS in Chelsea Orange

I live in a rural setting, so at home I need more light (it gets very, very dark around here). We also have some animals (sheep, hens, dogs, whatnot) so there's always a need to fix something. I prefer to use dedicated tools when possible, but these are always on person or close at hand:

[​IMG]

- Leatherman Skeletool CX
    - Spyderco Delica
    - Fenix LD12
    - Fenix HL50

So, that's my EDC stuff. There's a lot more lying around in drawers and boxes, in the car and at work, but these are the ones in actual daily use.

Thanks for watching.

Water-Rat, Omega Man, o6eah and 11 others like this.
  2. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Financially challenged or not, that's all good stuff!

3. backwater-otter

Awesome stuff! I agree with your philosophy 100%. Plus, you're an Ozzy fan. :cool:

Omega Man, UmbertoTortallini and 313 like this.
  4. Colt Seavers

Colt Seavers Loaded Pockets

Great first post to your own thread 313. Love the gear too. I do exactly the same with the notes as you do, perhaps it comes with age writing everything down :eek:

A.B., UmbertoTortallini and 313 like this.
  5. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Thanks man! Yeah, the first 5 were a must-have on vinyl. Nothing wrong with say Dio or Martin, but the first ones are masterpieces.

A.B. and backwater-otter like this.
  6. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Thanks for the compliments Colt. I do agree that age plays a part, as does an addiction to notebooks and pens :D

A.B. likes this.
  7. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Thanks, Rod!

A.B. likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I don't see where this has to a be display of "means." You have plenty of good "stuff." Happy thanksgiving!

I'll be doing another 5-hour duty at the homeless shelter in downtown LA later this week. Wanna see those that are really financially "challenged...?"

A.B., Gary Gross and 313 like this.
  9. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Well I do see where you're coming from and was kinda expecting something like this too. I've encountered and experienced my share of difficulties in my life and know very well I really don't have anything to complain about economywise. My post was partially a cheeky shot at the high standards set by many members of this forum and the subtle feeling of inadequacy that it occasionally causes. And by this I don't mean that anyone is looking down on others because of their cheaper gear, that's not something that happens on EDCF. The folks here are accepting and polite. It just sometimes feels a bit odd to post a pic of say a €10 SAK among custom ti scaled marvels, even when I know it will be accepted well.

But hey, it's all good. Happy thanksgiving to you too.

Last edited by 313, Nov 21, 2016
  10. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Who need anything more than breads and water! All for EDC's load up. LOL!

A.B. and UmbertoTortallini like this.
  11. UmbertoTortallini

Crawled out from beneath my rock to say hi and nice thread!

0dBm, A.B., justmyluck and 1 other person like this.
  12. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Thanks Umberto!

13. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Subbed. :)

A.B. and 313 like this.
  14. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

+1!

A.B. and 313 like this.
  15. 313

313 Uber Prepared

I seriously have a thing for notebooks, pens and stationery in general. I have about a dozen notebooks in use at the moment, for work journals and project planning, pocket notebooks, permanent notebooks, planners, general doodling and scetching etc. I transfer notes from one location to another based on context and need for permanence.

It may seem complicated and overthought but it works for me. Only a couple notebooks are for real reference, and on the other hand I enjoy going through past notes searching for something as it puts me in touch with ideas and sentiments that I had at the time when I wrote the notes. Writing in general is cathartic and relaxing, and pretty much the only form of self-expression I do at the moment.

[​IMG]

Missing from that pile is today's mail call:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Staedtler drawing pencils (something I hope to get into again), a KUM brass sharpener, a Zebra M-301 mech. pencil and a cute freebie Zebra from Cult Pens (this one I'll save for my daughter).

16. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Wish I could spend the time. I enjoy the thought of writing and am even pretty good at drawing. I've a drawer full of pencils, pens, and all manner of notebooks. Unfortunately, I just never seem to have time to do it. On the rare occasions when I do, my inner computer geek pushes me to some kind of digital media which then takes some of the joy out of just drawing. :(

313 likes this.
  17. 313

313 Uber Prepared

That sounds all too familiar. I used to go right for the iPad whenever I had even a few minutes to spare. Then I basically forced myself to write at least ten minutes straight before grabbing the pad. Now I spend anything from 30 minutes to a couple hours a day writing whereas the iPad gets a lot less attention.

It's funny, I used to think I didn't have time for anything but still spent hours a day staring at some digital device. That kind of time is just scattered across the day and doesn't seem like a lot, but it all adds up. It only takes like 10 minutes for me to write a A5 page of text and even that relieves stress noticeably.

Another good decision I made (which I also had convinced myself that I don't have time for) was substituting iPad time in the evening for reading a book. I used to read with the pad in bed before going to sleep, but somehow a book feels much more involving and relaxing. I seem to fall asleep in a more peaceful manner if I read a book for about an hour before going to bed. I think there are some studies that support this but my experiences are purely subjective.

Water-Rat, loneslinger and kottskrapa like this.
  18. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Nice thread. I have a little collection that I am afraid to use because of old age or cost. But the items I use are always the normal ones. For example, the knife I use the most is a simple Mora companion for work. And I use it hard. I can't bring myself to using a high end knife while I do own several. And by the way, I once got knocked on here for liking Opinel knives. I don't understand that sort of thing. You have a sub

Cheers

Colt Seavers and 313 like this.
  19. sc00ts

sc00ts Loaded Pockets

Great thread, I second your edc philosophy. Subbed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Gross, Colt Seavers and 313 like this.
  20. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

I agree that if you want to do it you just have to prioritize. I cut back on surfing the forums to fit in time for reloading. I also cut back on shooting to make time to hit the gym. I cut back on collecting stuff and gaming to ensure that my house was a priority and that other important stuff got done. Now I have dozens of books I haven't read, a PS4 that hasn't been on since last Christmas when I got it, haven't been to the range in 60 days, and just gave up on building a 56 truck that I've been dying to get started on. Something will have to go unless I can get the six numbers to line up ....

Gary Gross likes this.