1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The angry/mildly upset thread.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by northwest, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The problem I have with it is mostly that it's a giant experiment. Teachers are always looking for better ways to teach. But an one teacher in one classroom had the ability to instantly see what isn't working and change it. And even if they are way off base they are only effecting one classroom. But what happens when every teacher is forced to teach the same material in the same way? The very idea should sound ridiculous to anyone who teaches.
    My daughter was okay but not great with math to start this year. The "short cuts" they are teaching for addition she mostly gets and is still keeping up. The subtraction has totally baffled her to the point that she almost can't do simple subtraction anymore.

scbubba, Water-Rat, Brtsmpsn and 3 others like this.
  2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is the stuff that got her confused
    [​IMG]
    They turned a simple subtraction problem into something complicated. In that example me daughter would get to the 5-4=1 part and then add the 1 back to the original for 16. She has been confused ever since

3. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

/\ I feel your frustration, but unfortunately don't have an answer for you, except that 17-9 will always be 8.
    (I did have to check that with my wife. I found myself suddenly confused, dreaming of fairies and unicorns.)

scbubba, Water-Rat, Brtsmpsn and 4 others like this.
  4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't disagree, on either point from Longbow or Kertap.

CC is a great idea, but the implementation has been less than ideal. And there's also a great deal of confusion about what is, and isn't, common core. Which has led to some really wild problems which we've seen in the news.

On top of which, the basic classroom structure, and performance requirements, haven't changed to reflect the new curriculum's demands - so we're trying to teach abstraction and conceptualization models with the process and procedure timetables and expectations.

The fundamental attitude towards integration has been a driving force behind the frustrations - I am of the opinion it should have been incorporated gradually into learning programs. Along with other improvements geared towards "softer" learning material, like small classroom sizes.

scbubba, Water-Rat, Brtsmpsn and 5 others like this.
  5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Have you tried using blocks to illustrate the idea of the different number groups being broken apart and manipulated?

scbubba, Water-Rat, Brtsmpsn and 4 others like this.
  6. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

I do this but i developed it on my own years later after i knew how to do basic math. In second grade i counted on my fingers. I understood my fingers.

Sent From Another Dimension

7. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Fingers are fun. Toes X2.

scbubba, Water-Rat, Brtsmpsn and 7 others like this.
  8. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Maybe we should think of it as Magazine capacity.
    My Glock 19 holds 15+1
    If I tripple tap 2 bad guys, that leaves me with 15+1-6... Which should equal 10.
    If I have two spare magazines, that should be 15+15+10... Which should equal 40.
    With .40 being equal to 10mm...
    Which should mean that I no longer require the two spare magazines.
    So if I subtract 30 from 40... This should leave me with 10.
    Making this very California legal and making liberals happy.
    Ding! Ding! Ding!!!
    The kiddies got the right answer !!! :D

9. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Drove from our shop in center moriches to a customers house in maspeth queens*, in morning rush hour, and then when I got there I was informed by the neighbor that they were on vacation in maine.

Mildly upset doesnt cover it, I was livid. I proceeded to go off on our office manager for a solid 30 minutes, because she lied to me and said that they talked to the customer that morning. After I finished, my boss (owner of the company) did the same.

It would be one thing if I got paid by the hour, but Im paid by the job, thats money out of my pocket.
    Not only did I waste half of my day, I didnt get paid for it. (ontop of already being annoyed about being lied to)

*Without traffic thats a hour and 15min. In long island rush hour traffic, it took me 3 and a half hours.

10. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Uber Prepared

Odd, the examples of the CC math made immediate sense to me, but I'm more graphically oriented. I got top grades at math in school, but today I rely on a spreadsheet. OK, not just regular spreadsheets, Excel is a thing of beauty when you start applying pivot tables, conditional formulas, conditional formatting. But I saw groups of numbers in the tape.

As tmedina pointed out, the problems depicted are pretty much like using physical objects to group numbers...blocks, M&Ms, even the abacus is exactly like what those problems are doing. Instead of the abstract concept of numbers, think of groupings. We use the hash counting - four vertical lines with a cross line to indicate five - as a way of grouping a tally together so we "see" the numbers more easily. If you had random groupings of lines, it's harder to see your totals, or groups of smaller numbers. Once you start grouping the numbers together into fives, you can see the count visibly.

So a 7 is really a group of 5 and a group of 2. If you think faster in fives and tens, then you make groups of fives and tens, and you can add them up more quickly. You have 8 + 7. Take apart the 7 into a 5 and a 2 grouping. Then put the 2 group with 8 to make a group of 10. Now you are adding a 5 group and a 10 group.

Really it is the same as a abacus, or finger counting. We get finger counting because we think in groups of 10s.

scbubba, Water-Rat, Brtsmpsn and 6 others like this.
  11. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

I've got to be carefull counting past 20 while wearing my kilt ;)

When my kids hit P1 (4 years old) we'd been doing a load of maths with them but the school confused my son no end when they started on subtraction. They were teaching it as the difference between 2 numbers so it was what is the difference between 4 and 5. This was then written out as 5-4 no problem except when my son translated the word to numbers in his homework he did it as written so it was 4-5. So his answer of -1 was marked as wrong. There was much rage at the injustice.

scbubba, Water-Rat, Brtsmpsn and 7 others like this.
  12. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I'm glad some can make sense of this new math but I'm too old to convert and will stick to what works for me.;)

scbubba, IMWILSON, Brtsmpsn and 6 others like this.
  13. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

I get it, but it seems to take more effort to look for 9s, and it won't be used often. I use it sometimes when multiplying, e.g. 23x98. 98 is 100-2 so I multiply 23x100 then subtract 23x2.

14. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Besides, how do you expect us to sell even more math books if we don't muddy things up occasionally? Remember 'New Math'?

15. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

The industry and purchasing of textbooks in the US is an interesting story that has less and less to do with education and more and more to do with agendas (of all types and on all sides) and profit lines.

Common core, new math, phonetic reading and spelling, and so on have been sold to us as education. It has taken kids years to unlearn and/or relearn over generations.

Give your child an abacus or soroban. How 'bout teaching kids to use logic when they think, that its OK to question things, and to use reason more than opinion and attitude? A little bit of "if/then" reasoning could be dangerous apparently.

Do schools give students copies of the Constitution these days?

Many of the books I read as a kid are either now banned or maybe taught in college (but usually not).

Want to raise a ruckus? Let your child read Brave New World or 1984 and carry it into their school. Not fair to the child to expose them to the retribution of the school system but isn't that ironic?

Can't always teach old dogs new tricks but they still know how to bite.

16. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Questioning things? Are you insane?:eek:

[/sarcasm]

17. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Who ?
    Me ?
    Or, Me ? ;)

18. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I had an English teacher that made us read all that stuff. Huxley, Orwell, Sinclair, and even Tolkien for a bit of a break (just The Hobbit). Didn't mind 1984, but I didn't think highly of Animal Farm.

19. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I actually enjoyed Animal Farm. But maybe it's just because all the other books that we read at school were *%#^

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

20. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

"all pigs are equal, but some pigs are more equal than others."
    I'm a fan of that one too :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.