1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

The Aerobie AeroPress Coffee/Espresso Maker

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by SAKplumber, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Glory Be!!!!

Thanks to this thread, I've finally figured out how to make the most amazing cup of coffee with my Aeropress! I'm so happy I could break down in tears.

I've had an Areopress for about 7 years or so. Tried it a few times, mostly on camping trips where I expect to eat and drink lousy stuff, with meh results.

I decided to take the advise in this thread and the results were truly glorious. Now I start my day with a cup of coffee that rivals the best pour-overs I've had anywhere.

Now I just need to find a good manual grinder.

thePlumbah likes this.
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like my Porlex. :)

Wishoot likes this.
  3. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

Depending on your budget, one of the conical burrs is your best bet. Mine does a reliable grind every time. A friend gave me the Hario Skerton. Great, easy to grind. It's around $27, but I believe it's worth the money.

What is your method, Wishoot?

thePlumbah and Wishoot like this.
  4. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

1- Grind decent coffee at the grocery store. Ground pretty fine (close to espresso grind).
    2- Place one full Aeropress scoop of coffee in inverted Aeropress.
    3- Fill 3/4 with the most boiling hot water I can produce with electric kettle.
    4- Stir for about 10 seconds.
    5- Cover Aeropress with dampened paper filter.
    6- Let it sit for about 90 seconds.
    7- Press into cup.
    8- Appreciate caffeine induced consciousness with a truly good cup of coffee.
    9- Repeat.

I have a feeling that it will only get better with better beans which I can grind at home.

SMAJ, DESTRO and thePlumbah like this.
  5. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

How much water are you using with that ?

I've been using 2 scoops but filling it with water.

6. DESTRO

DESTRO Loaded Pockets

Long time reader, first time writer.

I have had an AeroPress for probably a couple of years now and to be honest I thought it was a novelty after about two weeks. I watched videos and read plenty of articles about how short the steep/brew time was before jamming down the press. Seemed like a can't lose proposition. Well for me there was something lacking, couldn't quite figure out what it was. So I put it in the cabinet all the way in the back, and pulled out the pour over. Everything was wonderful again.

Last winter while looking for something I dug the AeroPress back out for some tinkering. I starting fiddling around a lot with how long to let the grounds steep/brew (call it what you will), and this is what finally makes me take a minute to comment. Finally I am seeing people let the coffee sit for a couple of minutes before pressing. Finally! I have gone as long as a few minutes akin to a French Press and still wonderful stuff is forced into my cup.

My normal routine is about like this:

Inverted method with the plunger pulled down to just below the 4 circle,

One scoop of expresso roast-ground fine, and fresh if I have been to the city,

Water about 20-30 seconds off boil from the electric kettle,

Fill with water to about the top of the 1 circle,

Stir for a few seconds to make sure the grounds are all wet,

Steel filter and end cap on,

Wait 90 long seconds before pressing a very nice cup.

Occasionally I will add some hot water when loading up a 12oz Hydroflask before heading out the door.

I don't have a real fancy or expensive reusable steel filter, but IMHO that also helps to make my coffee a little more tasty by letting more of the oils down into the cup. Just a personal observation to offer up.

Press on!

Wishoot and thePlumbah like this.
  7. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

I grind my own beans, but I use 3/4 of the aeropress supplied scoop. I tried 2, but it came out more strong than I could actually stand.

I pour in all the grounds into the press, then fill it up just below the top. stir, then pour more water in until it goes to the top.

This creates a smooth brew that I can enjoy with no cream, no sugar and it tastes great.

DESTRO
    The steel filter is great, it's what I did this morning. I like it for it's strength, depending on the coffee. I prefer it in the afternoon, rather than the morning.

Wishoot, DESTRO and thePlumbah like this.
  8. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Just personal preference. It doesn't do any different that the normal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wishoot likes this.
  9. Halden

Halden Loaded Pockets

I use my Aeropress every day. Makes a great cup of joe.

I have a Giro plus super auto at home I would say the Aeropress rivals it.

10. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have recently aquired an Aeropress (maybe 6 weeks ago)

Still learning the best way to use it, after reading some posts here i think i am using too much coffee and not letting it sit long enough.

I typically grind beans once every few days and keep them in a sealed tub - my kids dont like the sound of the grinder so i do it while they are out with my wife.

I have been using the normal method, damp filter
    2 scoops into the aeropress
    Add hot water to the #2
    Stir with stirrer so everything is floating around, not clumped at the bottom
    Top water up to #4 stir again for 30secs or so
    Add plunger and press.
    Add sugar and steamed milk (bought the aeropress because the brewhead on my coffee machine leaked, the steam wand still works though)

Wishoot and DESTRO like this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I use one scoop and let it sit for about a minute. Also, I brew it with the upside down method. Thing is, see...I'm tight and don't want to but more coffee any sooner than I have to.

Wishoot likes this.
  12. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Tried less coffee, sitting longer
    Seems to work OK !
    Coffee still tastes good, and uses less beans !

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

:bounce: I've just doubled your production! :smug:

Wishoot and DESTRO like this.
  14. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Production is still the same - half the coffe for double the time :)

Downtime to grind new beans has been reduced though......

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

But your coffee beans last twice as long too ;) Thats what saves me money :)

Wishoot and echo63 like this.
  16. m2usa

m2usa Empty Pockets

Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything, but I did find something that some of you might want to check out. It's called the "American Press." It works in a pretty similar way as the Aerobie, but well, it's a bit different as well. Thought maybe some might want to check it out. I have NO affiliation with this company at all, but I received an email announcement from Indigogo about it (I'm still waiting almost three years to get my Indiegogo "crowd-funded" product - that's another story...)

Sigh... can't post an Indigogo link. You can find it by using a little Google-Fu "American press indiegogo"

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pretty cool. Exspensive, but cool.

18. sulaco

sulaco Loaded Pockets

I finally started using another method to make coffee in the mornings. The AeroPress was just taking too long and was a little harder to keep clean than I preferred for daily use. I still use it, though not as often. Lately I've been using a Chemex eight cup and a Hario single cup pour over. My wife uses the Harip for her one cup per morning and I use the Chemex for my 3 cup Zojirushi thermos. Of course the down side is we now have to keep up with three different filter types but the ease of use and cleanup is worth it.

I find that all three methods produce similar quality coffee (we use a Hario burr ceramic hand grinder) but the AeroPress does a hotter cup than the pour over methods.

thePlumbah likes this.
  19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I will look into the purr-overs now, due to your post here. I like easy cleanup and a cooler cup won't hurt my feelings either ;)
    Thanks.

20. edcss

edcss Loaded Pockets

My wife and I have been using our Aeropress every morning for the last two years and still prefer it to the other press/drip systems.
    Our daughter gave us an Nesspresso machine for Christmas, and now we know a fast very tasty cup of coffee does exist. Downside, very expensive!

thePlumbah likes this.